Those that have traveled this road....advice needed..

flyfisheraa573

Think M416 "style" trailer...

For those that have them or have had them.

Length and width:

If you could've had the style of a M416, but in a 4 x 8 size, would it have been better?

Height:

Same as before, but say raised the side wall height another few inches?

Lid:

Would you prefer....The multi angled lid that matches the bends in the trailer, OR a flat lid like the Manley's and Ruger's, OR a rollaway supported tonneau cover like the "Truxedo" tonneau covers for truck beds?

There will be a rack with a RTT'S mounted on it, and a tailgate....if that makes a difference in your judgement.

For any and all help, thank you!!!!

Septu

Explorer
I like the angled lid for aesthetics value. However I wouldn't consider going to a flat lid (flat/not raised off the body) at all. Gaining that extra 2-5" could mean the difference between your fridge/whatever fitting or not fitting. Also if you're going to spend the time/effort/money to get a lid (beg/build/steal/buy/etc)... why not raise it a few extra inches... gives you that much more space inside the box. It's one of those things that if you're going to do it... might as well do it to begin with. So even if you don't go with the popular angled lid to match the body lines... I'd still go with a raised one of some sort.

Rack/RTT/Tailgate doesn't make a difference in my opinion, as it's all about usable space inside the box, and none of that helps.

Just my opinion.

flyfisheraa573

Septu....so by that line of reasoning...you'd prefer a 4x8 size?

Btw...I'm not planning on rock crawling with it...at most, some fire roads and such...just FYI..that is if usage would determine your answer....

Box Rocket

To me in completely depends on the space you need for gear and the terrain you'll be travelling. If you need a bigger trailer and if you're just on fire roads like you say, then 4x8' would be great. My homebuilt trailer is similar size to a M416. The frame itself is 4x6' so the interior of the box is just slightly smaller than that. For me it has adequate space and I like the flexibitly of being able to have it fit on tighter, more technical trails. The challenge of towing a trailer of any size on techinical terrain is another topic. :)

Septu

Explorer
Septu....so by that line of reasoning...you'd prefer a 4x8 size?

Btw...I'm not planning on rock crawling with it...at most, some fire roads and such...just FYI..that is if usage would determine your answer....

Sorry didn't touch on the size. If the extra length won't hinder you, then yes I'd go sightly bigger. Would I go with a 4x8 m416? I don't know. I want the ability to drag mine wherever my jeep goes, and I'm not sure if that extra 2' would be an issue - probably not but who knows. The issue with the height is just that... height. I know when looking at custom trailer designs the boxes were too short - height wise (or damn close) to the size of my current fridge. I don't see myself packing things longer than 6' that couldn't go on the roof/lid. So for me a 4x6 would probably be fine, but I want that extra height - and if I had to choose, would choose 4x6 with a raised lid vs a 4x8 with a flat lid.

Not sure if that answers your question lol.

Arlo

Adventurer
Hmm, form follows function, I gues!

Try to find out how you would like to use it. Sleeping inside will need a different size as to sleep on top of it.
Do you prefer a tent or hard cover style?
Cooking inside or a slide system to cook outside?
What about the laden weight?

flyfisheraa573

Septu...very good points, and it does answer my question somewhat.

Argo...let me see if I get everything right here...

We are a family of 5...two boys (13 & 8) and a girl (2 1/2)...I have a 4 door JK...

My "expeditions" generally will revolve around the following: fly fishing, hunting, general camping, and family vacations......however, the summer after my oldest turns 16, we will be embarking on a 3 week of most of the major National Parks west of the Mississippi...

My trailer needs to hold gear, both personal and activity based for whatever we are doing for us as a family.

Sleeping I'm wanting a larger RTT to sleep my wife, me and our little girl...the boys will be in a Mountain Hardware tent either under an awning or near the trailer...

Cooking I plan on having a table that slides from its spot under the rack, to set up a kitchen under a fixed awning...although I love the slide out kitchens, I don't think it will work for me at this time...I need the flexibility of the storage inside the trailer for whatever activity that were doing

Power will be permenantly placed in a tongue box

I will not be traversing great obstacles, like rocks, boulders, gullys, rivers, etc...but as said, I plan on going down fire roads, dirt roads, crossing creeks, etc. in pursuit of whatever our activity will be...trailer will sit on 32's, so height and clearance for the most part will be okay.....I think...haha

sneakytj

Observer
I feel that it depends on the need, and it appears that with a growing family you have greater needs than the 4x6. I find the 4x6 works well for me and the girlfriend (empty nesters here). I just brought it out to Texas from Florida, stock length, new military tires and repacked bearings. The trailer did fanstastic. I especially like the way it tracks behind the jeep, no real worries about tight turns. On the lid, I agree the taller would be better (more room), at least that is what I want.... time and money. We all have different needs, bigger family, more gear... more gear, bigger trailer. Ours is full and it's just the two of us.
T

Septu

Explorer
We all have different needs, bigger family, more gear... more gear, bigger trailer. Ours is full and it's just the two of us.

Yeah can't really comment on how full it is/isn't... I don't pick up my m101 until next month. Never used a trailer before.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94