Thoughts on a 95 SR

Bo Hornback

Hey guys,

Looking into purchasing this vehicle and would appreciate thoughts on others who own or have owned Monteros.

https://atlanta.craigslist.org/atl/cto/d/1995-mitsubishi-montero-sr-4x4/6628183480.html

I'm looking for a vehicle that can be a relaible daily driver and a good weekend camping rig for the family. No long term trips yet but I would like to have that ability in the future.

I don't have a ton of experience with more in depth wrenching but am absolutely willing and wanting to do things myself. I will be keeping my current DD for the time being, so I won't need to be rushed to get all the issues and maintenance taken care of.

Budget for the initial road worthiness (including vehicle cost) would be around $6k.

Per the ad, appears to have some transmission issue to get sorted. I spoke with current owner and he says he drove to Nashville and back no problem.

Interior is rough but not a real concern for me at this time.

My plan (if I decide to get it) is to trailer it back to KY, sort the transmission issue, and then tackle all the catch-up maintenance. CarFax shows a timing belt change at 60k and current owner claims to have done it again at 110k (no paperwork though). So not bad on the maintenance history but will be doing it all again (as recommended by other here) just so I know what I have.

I appreciate the time in reading this post and any I sight you all can give!

mudraider

Adventurer
The SR is one of the strongest vehicles Mitsubishi has made. 9 1/2" rear end, air locked rear axle, 4 way disc brakes, and the DOHC 3.5 has plenty of power. It would be a great choice.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Toasty

Looking for that thing i just had in my hand...
SR's are awesome, the only negative on those is you need to do engine maintenance on time and with OEM parts. They are higher performance than the others, 15 extra HP doesn't sound like much but it's very noticeable with the variable intake and DOHC.
Great machines, I've had a few.

drfreema

AEV JK350
Just sent you a PM. I'm getting ready to sell mine. Thought you might be interested. Located in Indiana.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94

Members online