Thoughts on first gen Tahoe/ninth gen Suburban/fourth gen C/K Chevy/GMC's for expo?

kfgk14

Adventurer
I've run into a lot of these in my price range (<$5k) in my area, most in the 125-200k mileage range, and most with the 5.7l engine. I'm searching for a more capable replacement for my Honda Pilot as an expo vehicle (anyone considering a Honda expo rig, be forewarned that the mildest fire roads can beat the crap out of these, I'd avoid them like the plague for expo). I need something with good range, decent articulation/clearance, and a good payload capacity (and 4wd, obviously). I figured a K1500, extended cab would fit the bill nicely with a cap on the back to sleep in. A 4-door Tahoe also seems to be large enough. A K1500 'burb would work as well, but would stepping up to the burb be a major hit on fuel economy compared to the 4-door tahoe/extended cab silverado, given the same 5.7l engine?

I know this was chevy's first attempt at IFS on their truck/SUV line. Is the IFS a big issue? I'm not looking at real serious wheeling, but I'd like to be able to trust it in some minor mud, wash-board roads, and milder trails.

I'm looking at larger tires as an early investment for the rig, what is the biggest I can go without lift? Can 255/85's fit without rubbing?

Speaking of lift, are there good options out there? Will I be able to get actual suspension lift (not spacers, actual spring lift) for a reasonable amount of money? Is long travel an eventual possibility?

Speaking of the 5.7, TBI or Vortec? Which is more reliable, which is more efficient, quirks/issues of each?

Anything else you guys know about this generation of truck/engine that I should be aware of? Are there many invasive electronics systems that I may run into? When shopping for one, what do I need to look for/avoid?

Thanks, and sorry for showering you all with questions.

BurbanAZ

Explorer
yea ive had 3 of these rigs and i love them. I always go for the suburban just because if im getting something that big id rather have that little bit of extra room in the back. I like the 2500 trucks better personally they just have heavier components and the 14 bolt ff is bomb proof. Also if you worried about ifs the ifs components are heavier and stronger on the 2500 trucks, but if u dont plan on running huge tires or going really insane id bet the ifs on either the half ton or the 3/4 ton would be fine. Ive had 2 trucks with the tbi and i really liked it just because it was cheap, and easy to fix and just really reliable but the vortec gets better mpg. Their pretty basic trucks, that are reliable and easy to work on. Id definitely say alot more durable and capable than a honda pilot. Also another thing ive loved is that they are so insanely common that u can get parts anywhere pretty much and their affordable.

kfgk14

Adventurer
Thanks for the insight, glad to hear the IFS isn't to be feared.

How does the 454 treat you on gas?

98AT

For what your planning with the truck you wont have any issues with the IFS.I have a 1998 K1500 with a 4" Lift and 285's and its been an absolute rock solid truck to be honest.

I would say go with a Vortec,I have the 5.7L Vortec in mine and its been a very realiable motor,I have 500,000km's on the truck and the motor runs very strong still.You will also get fairly decent gas mileage and it has decent power.

I run Forest Service Roads all the time and do a ton of Back Country camping,never had any issues with any suspension components and the truck has never let me down.With my cap on the back its great to camp in and theres tons of storage room.

If your going to be throwing anything more than a 35" tire on the truck and running lots of mud or rocks then you may run into issues with the IFS.Lots of people knock the IFS on these trucks but I have seen these trucks take a beating,most of the time major IFS components break I think its more a lack of maintnance or major abuse.

greengreer

Adventurer
+1 on the vortec, good power and economy. that being said tbi motors are torquey! Don't be afraid of the 4.3 if vortec, had one in an astro and it had enough power to pull a 5000lb camper and still get 25mpg on highway trips (2wd).

Also I much prefer the later interiors (96+ iirc). 1/2 ton stuff is fine but the 3/4 ton is definately stronger. If i were to do it again I would look for a 96-99 K2500 extended cab, short bed.
Also there were "heavy half's) meaning 2500 trucks with 6 lug wheels. They had a 14bolt semi floater, not sure what the front axle/suspension was?

I really like these trucks, some dislike the ifs- and I agree it isn't the greatest off pavement, but for what most of these trucks do it's fine. Highway, service and forest roads are what most of these trucks saw and they performed well at these duties.

I'd like to add a shameless plug for the 6.5td. A few kinks to work out but once understood they are great 1/2 & 3/4 ton engines. Good mpg, enough power, cheap parts (for a diesel), and if you get lucky you can find them for a song because someone doesnt understand how to fix them (seen more than one on Craigslist that "wouldn't start" and likely just needed a new PMD- acheap and easy fix).

Good luck with your search. Also interesting to hear about the pilot/ridgeline platform. I have heard they are accord based?

Revco

Adventurer
I like mine...'93 K2500 454 TBI 4L80E 14-Bolt FF IFS. It does everything I need it to. Fuel mileage isn't terrible...infact it's pretty comparable to any later model 3/4-Ton gas powered truck. Some people prefer the TBI, some prefer the Vortec. I've got a friend with a '98 C3500 Crew Cab Dually and my Suburban has more pep in it's step than his Vortec 454. My neighbor has a '92 GMC K2500 Suburban with the 350. He gets the same fuel mileage but says it struggles to pull his racecar and dips into the single digit mpg range when it's hitched to anything. Mine gets around 10mpg pulling and doesn't struggle with any trailer load. I'd really like to have a Cummins 12-Valve under the hood for more power and mileage, but that won't ever happen. The IFS stuff rides good, but I'd still prefer the simplicity and durability of a straight axle. The IFS components all wear out pretty quickly, even on a truck that has never gone off the pavement, so if you have any suspension or steering slop, best bet is to replace every component or do a SAS. Barn doors out back are more preferred than the tailgate. There's tons of room inside, way too much for me, and I need a truck bed so I'm selling this thing and moving on. Maybe one day when I money is falling out of my pockets I can pick up another Suburban and build it up the way I really want it. For now, I just keep on enjoying it for what it is.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles