Thoughts on springs

JP7161

I currently have my G set up with the stock springs with the large poly spacers. Currently running tires close to 34". I would like to get rid of the spacers but keep the approximate 2" lift. Would also like to bring the front end up to get rid of the nose down look. Would like to stay with Factory springs but willing to explore other options.

I use the rig as a daily driver and also for extended travel. Winch bumper up front, steel bumper in back. I have done some searching here but curious about others thoughts.

Cheers

thebigblue

Adventurer
I´m on 33" and no lift, have had 50 mm. spacers laying around for years without installing them. Tires (285/65-18) rubs a bit when turning full to one side, the other is OK.
Had minor rubbing inside the rear fenders after some really extended rough going in Morocco with full articulations.

I have cracked two sets of original rear MB springs during three yeas, I´m told that this is a weakness on the G, last time in Morocco both sides cracked, one in the lower part (the usual) and one in the upper part. So I´m again re-speculation on installing some blue ORC-springs (only option for my G400 cdi), they will give a 40 mm. lift, this will suit my needs, but will they last longer than the MB ones...? I have no winch, and will probably never get one, relaying on maxtracks as it seems to get me out of the mess.

Any knowledge and experiences appreciated.

Last edited:

McBride

Adventurer
I have the ORC blue springs on both G's. The camper weighs just under 7k pounds with almost 4k over the rear axle. 15k mostly offroad miles in the last two years and so far so good (knock on wood). I can also says that they haven't been babied.

I would think that if any G we're going to break them it would be the camper and so you should be okay. These are taller springs so make sure your shocks aren't too soft.

William

thebigblue

Adventurer
Just received a quote from Frontrunner Outfitters EU on a full kit of OME suspension for my G400: €1400 incl. VAT excl. shipping :/
A set of ORC (Eibach) spring and Bilstein shock absorbers will be €800, a bit less for a non front-heavy truck like a G500 with no winch.

Last edited:
I have cracked two sets of original rear MB springs during three yeas, I´m told that this is a weakness on the G, last time in Morocco both sides cracked, one in the lower part (the usual) and one in the upper part.

They break, but not that frequent. If that was the case, none of us would get to drive anywhere.
I suspect there is another cause, the originals should last about 200.000km.
How old are your bushings, including the ones in rear panhard rod?

thebigblue

Adventurer
Bushings might never have been replaced, got the truck @ 186.000 km. in Germany, now it has covered 306.000 km., and it have been tormented on rocky dry riverbeds with no tracks in Morocco for several month lately :)

So bad bushings might cause the failure?

At 300.000+ you will feel a very nice difference, when you change the bushings. Especially the little buggers that is hiding in the panhard rods, they control more of sidewards axle movement than one would imagine. For just the improved steering response and general feel, I would change bushings all around. In my experience the original Mercedes bushings works to be far the cheapest solution, as they last very long. I tried once with non-originals - never ever again, totally waste of mony and my time when I changed them after only 3 years of use.
That should keep the springs from experiencing any wierd working angles, and therefore last the full time.
If you want to, I can help with the bushings. I have access to a proper press.
Can't have a expedition vehicle running only at 90% perfection :)

thebigblue

Adventurer
Thx Johnny,
I´m off to Iceland on august 4th, for at least a month... :) Have no return ticket at present.
Have learned that water-levels in the rivers are way higher than normal, the winter had the heaviest snowfall in 30 years....

NICE !!

We are saving up to do travel with open end date. We bypassed Iceland this year and are just back from eastern europe, Romania is wild and very different. That can be reccomended too.

Enjoy your trip. Carefull with the current in some rivers, they overturn a G in a blink of an eye.

thebigblue

Adventurer
Thx Johnny :) Romania sounds like a nice place to go along with Croatia I think.

Yea, on the 4th :) I have first-hand info from last week that several off the river-fording will be bonnet-deep

Taking the ferry the 4th? me too :elkgrin:

We'll see how we manage the rivers with our syncro, it ain't no G :safari-rig:

You will be fine. Though you see loads of pictures of Icelandic Superjeeps on gigant wheels, they are mostly waiting in line on the parking lots for the tourists that like to be impressed by size. River fording aside, you could potentially do 98% of the island in a Citroen 2CV if you are patient.

It's mostly about being able to handle corrugated tracks and keep smiling.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier