Thoughts on the Truckhouse Tacoma expedition camper...

tacollie

Glamper
I think if they can deliver 6 to 10 in the first year that would be pretty darn good. That format would be perfect for me if it was on the F350 Supercab chassis. It just feels great when you are inside the camper.
If it's just 2-3 guys 8 build could be hard to do in the first year. The camper is amazing.

nickw

Adventurer
Awesome camper, looks top notch inside, sounds like some enthusiastic blokes....still don't think it's the right platform.

I know they are trying to differential themselves by going mid-size vs full-size, but I think their product is different enough as is that they'd probably be more successful long term on a larger platform even if there is more competition.

When I was a bit younger and a bit more creative my dream was to make a "HD" version of my 2001 Tacoma.....full float 80 rear axle, HD suspension, manual hubs, OEM toyota lower/granny gear in the R151 trans, Atlast T-case, bigger brakes, etc....came to the realization pretty fast that there is always something downstream that is going to be the weak link, like front diff, output shafts, driveshafts, brake calipers, cooling system, etc.....it's a package engineered together based on certain design criteria, any one piece of that changed significantly screws up the whole system and moves failure points to areas that are more catastrophic like frames, mounts, brackets, axle housings, bearings, etc.

I forgot the fellas name, but an offroad guy from the US built up some trucks for Dakar sim to the ones he was using in Baja, big V8's, tube chassis, huge axles, etc.....I thought he'd kill it (personally). He had problem after problem while the OEM teams continued to kill it with their uni-body, IFS/IRS, factory engineered vehicles. To me that illustrates the point, fully engineered "system" approach even if it's less heavy duty vs more of a gorilla / field engineered approach with one off components....

Howard70

Adventurer
I forgot the fellas name, but an offroad guy from the US built up some trucks for Dakar sim to the ones he was using in Baja, big V8's, tube chassis, huge axles, etc.....

That may have been Robby Gordon. He entered the Dakar for several years.

Howard

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles