Thoughts on the Truckhouse Tacoma expedition camper...

Steve_382

4x4 truck makes more sense... cheaper and less added work for 4x4, plus all the pickups have stiff boxed frames now, making mounting much simpler. Hate the long/tall hoods on the trucks, though...

But, you can get more living space from the van chassis for the same overall length vehicle and you can include the front seats as part of the camper if you design it that way. The truck chassis is a different vehicle. I was just comparing the Transit with the E-350 and true 4x4 options

rruff

Explorer
I was just comparing the Transit with the E-350 and true 4x4 options

You can get 4x4 aftermarket on the Transit also. You can buy those in cutaway for ~$10k less than the high roof, and get a Total Composites box for ~$20k, plus whatever the Quigley 4x4 costs.

Zuber

An opening rear window like that is not DOT approved for commercial sale. Sure, you can do it for yourself, but you couldn't retail sell it.

rruff

Explorer
The exhaust comes out the side though doesn't it? Behind the right rear wheel... and there is a big window right above it!

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
An opening rear window like that is not DOT approved for commercial sale. Sure, you can do it for yourself, but you couldn't retail sell it.

I'm not sure that there is a DOT rule for this (could be mistaken), but can confirm that RVIA prohibits openable rear windows in a camper that can be occupied in transit.

gkieser92

The opening rear windows in SUVs can be counteracted by rolling down the side windows. Even so, I bet auto manufacturers would probably say that the rear window should be up when driving. That's probably not possible or practical with an RV. Last week I drove my 80 series with the back hatch open due to picking up some long lumber at Home Depot. I didn't make it out of the parking lot before the CO2 hit me. Even with the sunroof and all 4 windows rolled down, I could smell the fumes.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
That doesn't make sense. Every 4Runner rear window rolls down.
Since when has Toyota cared what customers are breathing? If they aren’t smart enough to close rear windows to avoid being gassed? They probably aren’t suffering any additional mental capacity loss to start with ???
I had a 4runner and a J80 and a sequoia trust me you only run with back windows open when you have no choice and very short way to go..

tacollie

Glamper
Since when has Toyota cared what customers are breathing? If they aren’t smart enough to close rear windows to avoid being gassed? They probably aren’t suffering any additional mental capacity loss to start with ???
I had a 4runner and a J80 and a sequoia trust me you only run with back windows open when you have no choice and very short way to go..
Sequoia and J80 windows don't roll down like a 4Runner. Cruising with an open hatch is different than rolling down the window.

I have had 2 4Runners and a FJ55. My brother has a 91 Bronco. Below 70 mph the back window was always down. My second 4Runner had a sunroof. My dog loved it.
Above 65 with the sunroof and back window open his ears would lift?

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Sequoia and J80 windows don't roll down like a 4Runner. Cruising with an open hatch is different than rolling down the window.

I have had 2 4Runners and a FJ55. My brother has a 91 Bronco. Below 70 mph the back window was always down. My second 4Runner had a sunroof. My dog loved it.
Above 65 with the sunroof and back window open his ears would lift?
Umm yes the sequoia rear window is a exact copy of the 4runner rear window. ?‍♂️

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles