Thoughts

So I am a Rover owner and enthusiast.

I was going to go after the Toyota FJ but it was not quite my style.

I am tired of paying twice the insurance on Land Rovers than I would on a Mercedes or any other make

so I went and checked out the new wrangler 4 door and I am impressed

I only wish it had a few more creature comforts but this is not what it is intended for

I thought very little of Jeeps since they have worse resale value than my LRs

I hear they may or may not bring back Defenders to the USA, the info available is as reliable as the cars themselves

so I was looking for something sexy, something that appeals to your senses for practical daily use as most of us require, but that can offer some off road fun without dumping huge amounts of $ into it as I have done before.

The only things I wish the wrangler 4 door had are; heated windshield, power seats, cooler rims, more colors, a larger console, a wood stering wheel - other than that the price is unreal, going from 45k to 28 is pretty great , 6 spd man. is smooth

are there any problems you all perceive the vehicle encountering based on its mechanics?

I wouldnt buy a Jeep new since it is a bad financial decision to buy any car new, but I am inclined to

They did a fantastic job and changed the way I look at Jeep

Last edited:

bigreen505

Expedition Leader
They look very nice indeed. I've been drooling over them for months and now that I am seeing them on the road I really want one.

Based on your comments though, perhaps a Xterra or 4Runner might be closer to what you are looking for. I would recommend a Pathfinder, but I really don't have a good handle on how much $$$ it would take to make it a truly off road capable vehicle.

If I had the cash to spend, I would go with a Lexus GX470 and build from there. For what it's worth, I know of several former Land Rover diehards that have bought Xterra's for all the reasons you mention, and it does a great job of being an all around vehicle.

The problem with Jeeps, like Rovers, is they appeal to your emotional side more than your logical side, and once you decide you want one there is no going back.

very well said Bill!

I don't really like the Xterras for myself and as much as I like the Lexus 470s, and I really do, I just don't need that much room or something so big. My D2 feels smaller and has a great command view point. Besides teh gas on the 470 is atrocious regardless of money no1 likes pumping more gas than they have to :wings:

It wont be my only car so it will be used primarily for sunny days, bad weather, towing, camping, picking up girls since I am always on the look out for a future ex misses Zooropa, and general fun with the top off.

Having just finsihed some research on the net I found the following:

Mygig GPS/Entertainment system will not be available until Feb.
Half doors will not be available until Jan.
Electronic Discon. is behind production due to high demand for Rubicons
Hard Top will no longer leak for models built after Sept of this year (?)

Prices are still very negotiable at dealers so be tough

datrupr

Expedition Leader
My opinion, never buy the first year production model. Not all of the bugs and glitches have been worked out. Take for example the leaking hard top. It will be fixed, but later in the model run. Wait until the 08's come out. Also all teh goodies you want will be more readily available, you can probably order it from the factory how you want it, and might get a better deal on it as the novelty will have worn off. just my opinion though. I too like the new 4 door Rubicons though.

thejafe

Adventurer
Z O O R O P A said:
The only things I wish the wrangler 4 door had are; heated windshield, power seats, cooler rims, more colors, a larger console, a wood stering wheel - other than that the price is unreal, going from 45k to 28 is pretty great

Sounds like you need to contact American Expedition Vehicles:

http://www.aev-conversions.com

They do some EXCELLENT work that might be right up your alley.

Check out the options for their TJ's. I can only imagine what they are going to be offering for their JK's:

http://www.aev-conversions.com/Vehicle_SWB.html

bootzilla

Adventurer
datrupr said:
My opinion, never buy the first year production model. Not all of the bugs and glitches have been worked out.

I third that. I dig the 4-door Wrangler, too - so I came up with a plan to beat the first-model year blues - as soon as the Trooper gets to 250k miles, I'll buy one :ylsmoke:...I'm only 205k miles away!

Zeero

Adventurer
These are all great points....myself though, I bought one. A 4 door Rubicon....haven't received it its on factory order.

Got it in Jeep Green Metallic with dual top...Freedom and Sunrider.

My plans are to outfit it entirely for overland use....I crawled all over this thing in the show room....and I have to say....with just under 10 years of overlanding and the like under my belt, this vehicle is VERY well suited to the task from my experiences and what I am looking for.

I am thoroughly impressed all around.

I picked this up for Research and Development purposes.....we are deciding what vehicles to use on our 2008 Expedition....so far this one is winning.

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
I take it they haven't gotton the tires for them yet? Last I heard, the rubicons were waiting for goodyear to catch up with the military orders before the tires would be produced for DC. I also heard a really ugly rumor about a diesel mid-2007 for the domestic market (not the I-4 cummins is developing, that will be 2008).

It will be interesting to see if the rumors pan out.

durango_60

Explorer
goodtimes said:
I take it they haven't gotton the tires for them yet? Last I heard, the rubicons were waiting for goodyear to catch up with the military orders before the tires would be produced for DC. I also heard a really ugly rumor about a diesel mid-2007 for the domestic market (not the I-4 cummins is developing, that will be 2008).

The 07 Rubicons are using BFG's.

goodtimes said:
It will be interesting to see if the rumors pan out).

Please, oh please be true...

Pskhaat

2005 Expedition Trophy Champion
goodtimes said:
not the I-4 cummins is developing, that will be 2008

Drool!!!! I thought it was going to be the Cummins little V6'r? There's actually rumor of the ISB in there?

Zeero

Adventurer
Yeah because of the Goodyear Delay...Jeep had a version of the BF Goodrich MT made for them....so the Rubicon comes with 32" Bf Goodrich MT's

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior

Members online