Three Generations in Death Valley.

Cascade Wanderer

Adventurer
What an outstanding report! Great trip. I'm mildly envious, had only one day for the Grand Canyon earlier this month. We settled for Titus Canyon and a drive-through on pavement. Your trip was much longer & better!

Thanks for sharing through your words & photos!

Regards, Guy

Etoimos

Observer
What an outstanding report! Great trip. I'm mildly envious, had only one day for the Grand Canyon earlier this month. We settled for Titus Canyon and a drive-through on pavement. Your trip was much longer & better!

Thanks for sharing through your words & photos!

Regards, Guy

Glad you liked it Guy. If truth be hold, we could have spent a couple more days in DV. There is just so much to see and do there.

Superduty

Adventurer
Great trip report. Thanks for taking us along. What software/app did you use for the map screenshots that you have included above?

Etoimos

Observer
Great trip report. Thanks for taking us along. What software/app did you use for the map screenshots that you have included above?

Thanks! Those are just screen shots from Google Maps using the Terrain view (as apposed to sat or street map). It's a little be of a pain to get it to route the way you want it to, you have to drop a lot of "destinations" along the route to force it to do what you want.

Superduty

Adventurer

Thanks! Those are just screen shots from Google Maps using the Terrain view (as apposed to sat or street map). It's a little be of a pain to get it to route the way you want it to, you have to drop a lot of "destinations" along the route to force it to do what you want.
The trip data you have just above each map, that looks like your actual trip data. Where did that info come from?

Did you pre download Google maps for the area?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Etoimos

Observer
The trip data came from Gaia GPS via my phone. I also used an inReach to track/log my trip. I did my advance planning on Google Maps to get the distances and rough times. For actual navigation, I used Gaia with the area downloaded for offline use. I just used simple way points for places I wanted to find. But honestly, I only used it twice out of convenience and could have just followed the roads. Rt is well marked and traveled in DV, even the harder roads/trails.

dman93

Adventurer
Great trip - and report and photos! Getting to the top of Eureka Dunes with my daughter is a lifetime memory ... you’ll be glad you and your son took the time to do it.

Etoimos

Observer
Great trip - and report and photos! Getting to the top of Eureka Dunes with my daughter is a lifetime memory ... you’ll be glad you and your son took the time to do it.

Thanks. My favorite photo from the whole trip is the one of my son in his red jacket, pointing at the top of the Dunes. He already wants to go climb the Great Sand Dunes a few hours south of us in CO. Luckily, my mom has a place about 30 mins from the trail head that leads over the pass into the dunes. Will make for a sort and fun trip.

ATC1128

Great write up man!! I am also in the springs and sadly R&R went out of bussiness. I was in contact with him shortly after deployment to order some parts and that's when I found out. But awesome trip I'm looking to do rimrocker to moab here soon in my rig!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Etoimos

Observer
Great write up man!! I am also in the springs and sadly R&R went out of bussiness. I was in contact with him shortly after deployment to order some parts and that's when I found out. But awesome trip I'm looking to do rimrocker to moab here soon in my rig!

Thanks. Yes, R&R is no more :( James was a great guy, it is too bad what all happened to him.

ATC1128

Thanks. Yes, R&R is no more :( James was a great guy, it is too bad what all happened to him.
I didn't get the entire story as I didn't want to pry out of respect for his family. But he was a great guy and always looked out for veterans and his regulars. But we should go on a trip someday!! I'm excited to get out there this season.

xtremluck

Great writeup and love how you included both your dad and son on this adventure! Love heading out there every year and your post just reminded me I need to start planning for next year!

Ace Brown

Retired Ol’ Fart
Just repeating what everyone else has said; great report and photos. Extra special to have three generations along to share the adventure.

I have spent quite a lot of time in DV, my first trip in 1971 and last 2015, and never tire of the unique place.

Ace

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz