Tie Rod replacement on Gen 3

offthepath

Adventurer
I had the montero in for an alignment and they said the "inner" tie rod is loose. Im assuming this means the tie rod that attaches to the rack and pinion.

Has anyone replaced this part, looking at the FSM I think the whole rack and pinion needs to be removed. Can anyone confirm this. Timing could not be worse, in two weeks we are doing a 4 night trip through Canyonlands and and eastern Utah.

John235

I replaced my inner tie rods without removing the rack on my 2005. You need a tie rod removal tool (found one at AutoZone that fit) and replacement tabbed washers from the dealer. Technically you shouldn't torque on the rack directly so put a wrench on it to counteract your torque so you don't break anything. The actual removal and replacement is pretty quick. You may want an outer tie rod removal tool also to pop them off.

Sent from my Life One X2 using Tapatalk

offthepath

Adventurer
Thanks. I ordered inner and outer for both side so I'll get it all freshened up. I looked at Mitsubishi parts warehouse and the parts diagram did not show any washers. Do you have a link or part number?

ac9c896848d7298c43fc3cfda4bfb3e7.png

Thanks

Last edited:

John235

I don't have the P/N handy but call any dealer and ask them to look it up. It is the tabbed washer between the inner tie rod and where it threads into the rack.

Sent from my Life One X2 using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz