Tiger CX

Kleavers

I’m interested in this and curious opinions of others on the forum. I’m experienced in getting off the beaten path in truck or on bike or foot, but getting a little older and wanting creature comforts with sub $50k budget. I’ve been noticing Tigers and reading up on them a little for the last year. Does this seem fairly priced for current marker? What should i be on the lookout for in terms of deal.breakers, etc? Is this something i can ask a local mechanic to look over? Hoe do people do that from another city?

Thanks in advance for any advice you may have.

ABBB

I’m interested in this and curious opinions of others on the forum. I’m experienced in getting off the beaten path in truck or on bike or foot, but getting a little older and wanting creature comforts with sub $50k budget. I’ve been noticing Tigers and reading up on them a little for the last year. Does this seem fairly priced for current marker? What should i be on the lookout for in terms of deal.breakers, etc? Is this something i can ask a local mechanic to look over? Hoe do people do that from another city?

Thanks in advance for any advice you may have.

No experience with these vehicles but it’s standard to have a PPI (pre-purchase inspection) done. Seems like a local RV mechanic might be the way to go. Good luck.

AbleGuy

Officious Intermeddler
I had an ‘89 Chevy 3/4 T 4wd for 13 great years, hauling a heavy camper for much of that time. That 5.7 NEVER gave me any problems in all of that time. On this one for sale, I would have the tranny looked at though, as the auto OD might have suffered hauling the weight of the Tiger camper body.

Also, I might have missed it but I didn’t see anything about any suspension help on the rig, and again I’m thinking about the camper weight. On my ‘89 I was very satisfied to have Firestone air bags added on to the back axle to help handle the extra weight and create a more enjoyable ride. As you probably know, Tiger eventually went to the 1 T trucks in an acknowledgement of the need to have better capacity to handle the camper weight.

J1973s

I have a 1997 Tiger CX 4x4. Similar to the advertised one tho mine has the larger 7.4 motor and (I think) a slightly different transmission. Mine, as you can see, was also delivered from the Provan factory w/o the front windows
that are said to leak on occasion.
IMO, these are great vehicles, easy to maneuver off road and pleasant to drive on the highway. I’ve been offered
45K for mine even with 184K on the clock. Motors and transmissions are reasonable if one has to replace the drive train. Also IMO, if ones steps back and looks at what’s available in similar
vehicles the price is pretty reasonable. Just did a 1200 mile journey thru Colorado over multiple passes (Kenosha, Marshall, Slumgullion, Poncha, Vail and the tunnel) just a bit over 12mpg. I was very surprised. Drove 65 or less at all times tho. CD8CE097-A7A8-4011-A5EB-D7B073A35876.jpeg
Also have a 1991 XL (Astrovan chassis) that I’m working on. I like it too and it gets 15mpg+. A bit cramped for legroom in the cab is the only drawback. Interiors are quite similar and the XL has a passenger seat that swivels to become a coach seat.8B4887CD-3EF9-4F65-A6B8-EC397F08087B.jpeg13748161-24C2-4836-8C05-1F62D4354F61.jpegI estimate it would sell for 20k or higher if I finish some things.
In summary, the Colorado Springs CX looks like a fair price for a well preserved CX. And the Chevy 3/4 ton chassis/drive train makes repair and parts availability not much of a problem.

*** The poster that restored the Adventure Tool Company Tiger CX has a 1995. I would think he may weigh in on this.

Attachments

• 801165D1-81C9-423E-B4BB-15064CD7C265.jpeg
    801165D1-81C9-423E-B4BB-15064CD7C265.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 92
Last edited:

rawtoxic

How much was it listed for on Craigslist? I was too late to see it. :(

We paid mid $30s for our Tiger March 2021. I put a wanted ad on Tapatalk Tiger Forum and someone contacted me privately - 5 days later we flew out and drove it home. Excellent base camp vehicle we have done so many adventures in the first year and really we do the same things we used to do camping out of our truck topper we just have more energy for doing hikes, bikes, etc because it's so much more convenient than tent / pickup truck camping and we sleep better. It took me a while to get used to sleeping in the coffin above the cab however.

Kleavers

How much was it listed for on Craigslist? I was too late to see it. :(

We paid mid $30s for our Tiger March 2021. I put a wanted ad on Tapatalk Tiger Forum and someone contacted me privately - 5 days later we flew out and drove it home. Excellent base camp vehicle we have done so many adventures in the first year and really we do the same things we used to do camping out of our truck topper we just have more energy for doing hikes, bikes, etc because it's so much more convenient than tent / pickup truck camping and we sleep better. It took me a while to get used to sleeping in the coffin above the cab however.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne

Members online