Time for a New Truck--MPG is a Priority

BrianPatrick

Thanks for all of the input. What a great wealth of information. This has really gave me some things to think about.

To answer a few above questions. The truck has to be full sized for sure and when I won't be using the truck for these long trips I will be using it around my home as a truck for projects and such and some weekend trips. I destroyed an SUV using it as a truck hauling crap :) I have a small commuter car for work.

I have built a few Jeeps in the past, had a 2015 Ecodiesel Ram that was great until 75k, and my 2002 7.3 Excursion, which was the best vehicle I had.

I really need to ask myself how much I plan to mod this truck. My plan is just a topper, I just need to be honest with myself as If I get into tires and lift, If changes the plan.

Now that I am doing the math as mentioned above, the gas price is not as bad as I thought, and does open some other options. Thanks so much for making me open my eyes a little more.

ThundahBeagle

I have decided it's is time for a new truck and just starting my research. MPG is probably a top priority for me as I take 2 cross country trips yearly and they are about 8K miles each. I have just used a fiberglass cap/topper in the past and may go that route again or maybe one of the popup campers like GFC/OVRLND/AT Atlas. A few must haves are 4x4 and crew cab. If I tow the max is 4K lbs.

I thought about the Ram 1500 Hemi, but running 89 Octane, puts me around the price of diesel. I have had a Ram 1500 EcoDiesel in the past and that was great on fuel, but it was a 2015 and started to have issues. I hear they are better now. Also I could option out a Ram 2500 and it is close the same price as the 1500, but it is the Hemi 6.4 which is thirsty. My buddy is trying to tell me to get a bare bones Ram 2500 with the Cummins, as it would do great on those long trips and hold it's value.

Looking for suggestions or input on a full size truck that would be good for these cross country trips. I don't do much heavy off-roading, mostly gravel roads. I have a RZR when I want to play in Moab.

There have been good suggestions here but a bare bones 2500 isnt likely one of them. No comfort on top of harsh ride x 8 thousand miles doesnt sound like a good combo. And Is diesel still worth it?

As previously noted, any modification or external add-ons hurt mpg except maybe something like a cab high Leer topper. More weight but better aero.

Highway tires are king for fuel economy as is the aforementioned 55 mph. 60-65 if you need you kicks. Cruise control is your friend.

I have a 2014 GMC Sierra double cab 6.5 ft bed with Leer cap (4 inches above cab height) with heated leather seats/mid range options. Not bare bones by any stretch. Probably same length as crew cab with short bed. Mid size 6 cyl Colorado and Canyon get no better fuel economy over the AFM/DFM 5.3 l 8 cyl...Over the last 3 years I've driven from New England to Virginia, PEI, Florida, all across to South Dakota, Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and back. Not to mention 100 miles 5 days a week for work over the last year. The computer tells me that my "best" 50 mile stretch over the last 3 years has gotten me 29.9 mpg.

Of course, that's just a best. And if GM's AFM/DFM makes you nervous, nobody would knock you for that.

Obviously a turbo 4 sounds great as well. I'm personally leery of turbo, as to my mind, if SOMETHING is gonna break, turbo goes first. Maybe I'm wrong.

But if fuel economy were really all that matters, get an old 04 Toyota Tacoma 4 cyl standard shift. Just check the frame first

ThundahBeagle

20210617_115712.jpg

Ok, 25 mile stretch. This was taken after I'd been really gentle with it for a while, then planted my foot in it a while, then parked.

phsycle

Adventurer
If I were to get a new truck today, I’d get an F150 hybrid with the 7.2kwh generator option.
It won’t help with the highway MPG but around town errand mpg will be excellent. Plus the generator option would be awesome.

If/when a PHEV version comes out, that’s the direction I’ll probably go.

Explorerinil

Observer
I would get a zr2 diesel while you can, put a topper on it and be done. That will get you the best mpg and get the job done. If you want full size, a ram cummins in tradesman package is what I would do.

Grassland

If around town/suburb non commuter truck and not often hauling I would personally go 3.3 NA or 2.7 F150. And go low trim to keep weight down and don't add unnecessary weight.

Now to be fair my 3.7 NA is not at all good on fuel, but I've never driven it unladen. From day one on stock tires I had a cab high Leer topper with cross bars and a ladder or two on that and 1000# minimum. And the tires only got bigger and heavier since then, and it's always towing now.
Best I've seen was I believe 20 US MPG or whatever 12 l/100 works out to. So it leads me to believe the 3.3 won't be tons better when worked.

If you keep aerodynamics decent and drive 60-65 I've heard and seen 2.7 F150 trucks do low 20s. I've not seen much info for the 3.3 because most people driving those are driving fleet trucks or don't even care. Even aluminum lightweight XL and low trim XLT trucks weigh a decent amount and the 3.3 has peak torque around 4k + and peak HP is above 6k so you need to rev it to get moving.

rruff

Explorer
Best I've seen was I believe 20 US MPG or whatever 12 l/100 works out to. So it leads me to believe the 3.3 won't be tons better when worked.

The 3.3 is supposedly much better than the 3.7. About >19 on Fuelly (few data points though) vs <17 for the 3.7, ~18.5 for the 2.7, and ~19 for the hybrid.

Grassland

The 3.3 is supposedly much better than the 3.7. About >19 on Fuelly (few data points though) vs <17 for the 3.7, ~18.5 for the 2.7, and ~19 for the hybrid.
How many 3.3 on Fuelly are work trucks though?
Associates 2.7 is around 15-16 MPG in fleet kit and duty.
Plus nobody posts axle ratio or other important info. Half the trucks I click on are just the default 50/50 city/highway pie chart.

phsycle

Adventurer
…If you keep aerodynamics decent and drive 60-65 I've heard and seen 2.7 F150 trucks do low 20s.

Mine with the old 6-speed got 24mpg at 70-75MPH. I’d imagine with the new 10-speed, it might do even better. I bet at 60-65, you’d be mid-20’s, at least.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne