What is your favorite method
and
What are your favorite products
for
Giving your vehicle a good wash, wax, buff and polish?:sunny: :sunny:

First outside and then inside!

asteffes

Explorer
I try to use warm water when possible. It seems to help dissolve the dirt away, especially in winter.

I've always liked One Grand's Blitz Wax. Goes on and buffs off very easily, holds up for a few months and is a generally nice and satisfying product.

I also gotta love Rain-X. I do the entire truck (the shell windows, headlights and side mirrors, too.) It makes it easier for the wipers to clean away bugs in the summer, and is a necessity in winter storms.

S

Scenic WonderRunner

When washing......

I use an oz. of Blue Coral Wash~N~Wax in a gallon of water.

Never use dish washing liquid....it will strip your wax off!

When waxing....

I've used about every kind out there. Including the so called 1 year special formula stuff......which I kind of think is just full of "selling hype".

My old favorite from the 1970's was the simple Turtle Wax.

The best I have found is any good Carnauba Wax. I just pick up which ever one is on sale.

I'm currently using Turtle Wax Emerald Series 100% Pure Carnauba Blend ......picked it up at Big Lots for $1.99 .....:shakin:

I've also had good luck with.....Meguiar's Car Cleaner Wax ....they have a whole line up of great products.

www.meguiars.com

Meguiars How To Center

One tip for waxing that I learned from my painter friend years ago.

While waxing.....do not use circular motion........use back and forth strokes.

This will help keep down those terrible looking circular swirls you see on darker color vehicles.

OK.....could not resist the opp. to pose!......

Fresh Detail! ......:cool:

2006_0509BlackCanyonTestDrive0004.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
Start at the coin operated car wash. Clean the engine and chassis, then a quick wash on the sheetmetal to get the big stuff off before the drive home. From there, start on the inside, finish on the outside. Use compressed air to blow out the vents etc, damp cloth on the dash (no soap or other junk....just clean water). Then hose off everything except the dash, use a good stiff bristled scrub brush and mild soap (dish soap works fine) on the seats and floor/kick panels, rinse and repeat as needed. Final rinse with clean water only. By doing the interior first, it will start drying while you work the exterior.

On the exterior, get any remaining nasty stuff (road tar, etc) off, then use some clay to remove the really fine stuff. When using the clay, a spray bottle with a solution of water and a little bit of dish soap works well to keep the surface wet enough for the clay to be effective. Stiff bristled brush on the tires and wheels. Wash/rinse/dry. Rain-X on windows, your choice of polish on the paint (note, I said polish, not wax--assuming you have a clear coat finish).

Of course, neither my jeep nor my dodge have been treated to this. I have used the above "interior" method on the jeep.....but the exterior gets sprayed off at the car wash every year or so....that's it.

awalter

Expedition Portal Team, Overland Certified OC0003
Body Beautiful car wash at least twice a year, if it needs it or not.

Nullifier

Expedition Leader
On the interior I use 303. It is put out by Blue magic and is available in any marine store. It works on rubber, plastic, nylon, vinyl, etc. They also have one now for fabrics. basically regular 303 is a shine enhansing product like 303. The major diference is that it has a 50 spf rating so it keeps dashes and other plastic / composite pieces from fading. I apply it to my side mirros, snorkel, dash, tires, and any other plastic trim pieces on the rig.

I got started useing it in the shop with the paddling stuff and it is truely an awesome product. One application of this stuff to my Life vest used in my rental doubles the life of the pfd due to fading from the sun! :suning:

flyingwil

Supporting Sponsor - Sierra Expeditions
I hate Armor All and other shine protectants... I have found that the armor all interior orange wipes work good on the inside after a swiffer. I use compressed air to clean the vents.

As for the exterior, I like Zanio and Meguire's... Lots and lots... I try and build up a nice protectant layer to prevent the desert pin stripping some. I also clay bar it once or twice a year.

HenryJ

Expedition Leader
For really nice clear coat paint I use Wax Shop Super Glaze. It dries clear so the little nooks and crannies don't fill up with the white crusty stuff. It goes on easy and comes off easy. I have used this exclusively on the HenryJ for 14 years. Wax everything except the porous rubber like bumpers and tires. Windows, wheels , chrome, head and tail lamps, everything :D and sometimes two coats if it really needs it.

For a quick touch-up to clean those bugs off, I use Hi-Sheen glass cleaner. It doesn't harm the paint and leaves the wax better than some others. My local glass shop carries it.

For the dusting , nothing beats the Kozak Auto Dry Wash! It is a dusting cloth treated with something that smells a little like rootbeer. It not only gathers the dust great without leaving a residue, but actually repels the dust. Indoors under fluorescence is the worst for showing dust, and the Kozak Auto Dry Wash does the best job. I have one that is 13 years old now and still use it for dusting furniture, which reminds me ...don't let the wife try your Auto Dry Wash...you'll have to buy yourself a new one :mad:

Tires, I like the No-Touch tire treatment. It is quick ,easy, and doesn't leave that greasy residue on the wheels.

Whenever I wash the truck, I open the hood and rinse down the engine. As well as all the undercarriage I don't use any chemicals, just hose it off.

For polishing aluminum, the Eagle 1 Nev-r-dull works great. It is a cotton wadding treated with chemical. You rub it on the aluminum and things get black as you rub. Just keep turning the wadding a little piece goes a long way. Buff it off with a terry cloth rag (not the wife's new towels ;) ). It leaves a coating that helps prevent oxidation. With lots of elbow grease, you can polish raw aluminum to a near mirror finish.

For tar, glues , etc. I like using the Universal Adhesive Remover. I always keep a quart handy.

datrupr

Expedition Leader
OK, all kidding aside, I usually run mine through the cheapo car wash at the gas station up the street from my house, take it home and give it another once quick over with a hose and car wash and water for the wheels, then I dry it properly and once every 4 months give it a quick polishing using a carnuba wax of some sort. Put Armor-All no gloss protectant on the inside plastic and good to go. I also use compressed air and a small fine hair paint brush to clean out my air vents, and if you look at them you can tell I do not perform this function very often. Also, to clean the dust off of the interior before applying the protectant I just use a damp cloth with clean water.

HongerVenture

Adventurer
Desertdude,

I'm glad you posted that link... cause now I don't have to explain what I do with my truck. =) I use the Porter-Cable random orbital to polish and wax my rig. No swirl marks... ever! I also use the Griot's garage products. I've been very happy. I do a full over wash (with dish soap to remove all old wax), clay bar, polish, and wax twice a year. In between times I just wash it with car wash soap and dry it off.

On the interior I use 303. Great stuff, highly recommend it. Armorall is okay but has silicones in it... too slippery and slimy. Griot's interior protectant is much nicer than Armorall, but not quite up to 303's par.

On the engine bay... well, I'm still working on the ideal solution to that. Ick, its still quite a mess from my last trip to Big South Fork.

Joel

bootzilla

Adventurer
Nullifier said:
On the interior I use 303. It is put out by Blue magic and is available in any marine store. The major diference is that it has a 50 spf rating so it keeps dashes and other plastic / composite pieces from fading.

Great tip - I'm gonna give it a try.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles