Tinting Windows

Cole

Expedition Leader
Note that OP already has tinted side windows, as most cars nowadays come with tinted glass from the factory. ;)

Yep.....saw that. Note that the OP will also be driving this vehicle from the seats next to the non-tinted windows:coffeedrink: might also want to notice that while parked the sunlight will be coming through those non-tinted front windows and fading the seats and dash where your sunshade solution won't help!:sombrero: Much like this sombrero offers sun protection for both the face AND neck :sombrero:

MoGas

Central Scrutinizer
A few things:

Here in Arizona, tint is more of a requirement than in other areas. It helps the A/C not work as hard to maintain a cool temperature.

I didn't add shaded tint to my Land Cruiser front windows for a couple reasons. One is because the factory privacy glass is a slightly mirrored bronze. Matching that on the front seat windows would be next to impossible besides, mirrored tint is not legal on the front seat windows in Arizona. The other is because my 80 is also my hunting rig, so I am looking out the window as we travel to different areas, and I am constantly scanning the forest. It has a UV film that is clear to cut down on the rays. I have 5% shade over the factory privacy glass in the back to keep prying eyes off my gear and to keep it cool back there. It cuts down on my fridge cycling and the A/C circulates to the back passengers. (No rear air on US 80 series)

On all my other cars, I have Arizona legal limit. 35% front, and as long as you have a right hand outside rear view mirror, you can paint the windows behind the driver's shoulders if you want. I only go to 5% in the back on anything because I still want to see out.

The tinting in factory privacy glass is only that, tinting added into the glass as it is manufactured. There is a very slight UV reduction, so if you have little ones that are in the back, you should at least add the clear film.

I have found that you can go a little too dark. We have always had a mini van or large SUVs (Yukon, Suburbans, Cruisers) and I had 5% over the privacy glass on all of them. However, with two kids going off to college, we decided to downsize the wife's car, so my wife bought a new Honda CR-V. I took it to my glass guy to have it tinted like usual, and let me say, the 5% over the factory glass on a small car makes it very dark in the back. It takes a little getting used to. Fortunately, it is a small car, so backing up isn't like backing her Suburban. I may have the liftback glass redone in 15%.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Yep.....saw that. Note that the OP will also be driving this vehicle from the seats next to the non-tinted windows:coffeedrink: might also want to notice that while parked the sunlight will be coming through those non-tinted front windows and fading the seats and dash where your sunshade solution won't help!:sombrero: Much like this sombrero offers sun protection for both the face AND neck :sombrero:

Wrong, there are no "non tinted windows" on the OPs vehicle. The front windows are tinted, too. They're not tinted as much as the back, but they are tinted.

Which is kind of my point. Tinting is a balancing act: Tint it dark enough to block the sun and you have significantly decreased visibility at night or during inclement weather.

Seems like a lot of vehicles these days come from the factory with a similar setup to the OP: Light tint on the front windows and much darker tint on the rears. I think that's a good compromise for general use. Dark tint all around looks great if your goal is to have a "murdered out" look :rolleyes: but if you actually use your vehicle, being able to see out of it can be important. ;)

Cole

Expedition Leader
I'm debating whether or not to tint the front windows of my new Tahoe.
4.jpg

Wrong, there are no "non tinted windows" on the OPs vehicle. The front windows are tinted, too. They're not tinted as much as the back, but they are tinted.

You're blind if you consider that "tinted" on the front windows!

Townsend

Observer
According to the tint shop I chatted with a month ago, my front windows are "tinted" if you want to call it that. Somewhere around 70% they said. I've also got the blue strip across the front windshield.

Cole

Expedition Leader
Personally I think cars with dark rear windows and no tint(hardly perceivable tint) on the front screws up the lines on a car. Makes it look like a mismatch of parts.

If a shop had to "tell you" it was tinted, then is it really doing you any good?

Townsend

Observer
Personally I think cars with dark rear windows and no tint(hardly perceivable tint) on the front screws up the lines on a car. Makes it look like a mismatch of parts.

If a shop had to "tell you" it was tinted, then is it really doing you any good?

Preaching to the choir!

brian90744

American Trekker
Does tinting make it cooler inside?

I was told that tinting makes the inside of the car cooler. So at the tint shop I opened the stock untinted frt door and the rear tinted door facing the sun , and used a non-contact infrared thermometer gun, and the tinted window was hotter, the only benefit is it cuts down the UV off the furniture, and makes your car look cool. A Dash Mat help the A/C cooling seeing all the ducting is in the dash. I still had my car tinted, and the tint shop are still scratching there head.

Last edited:

colierar

Observer
The rear of your Tahoe is 20%. I would do the fronts 20% also that way it matches. I did my Suburban that way. Its illegal in my state but I have never been pulled over for it. Legal is 35% for the fronts. That's pretty much Chevy's go to. Its easy to see out of at night. I've owned a lot of chevys and it just bugs me to not have them match. Most tint shops will only do it cash no receipt just so it can never come back on them.

Stroverlander

Adventurer
A quality tint shop should offer more than a few types of tint with varying levels of heat and IR rejection, glare reduction, etc. It pays to ask questions and know what you're getting.

http://llumar.blob.core.windows.net/drupal/north_america_automotive_window_film_specs.pdf

http://huperoptikusa.com/automotive/

http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/en_US/Window_Film/Solutions/Markets-Products/Automotive/

http://wiki.cancer.org.au/prevention/Position_statement_-_Tinted_windows

Definition of solar UV radiation

Solar UV radiation is divided in to three types, based on wavelength: UVA (320–400 nm); UVB (290–320 nm); and UVC (200–290 nm). Solar UVC does not reach the earth's surface as it is absorbed or scattered in the atmosphere. UVA and UVB are of concern because of their potential to cause skin and eye damage. Both UVA and UVB are associated with the development of skin cancer[1][2][3].

Transmission of UV radiation through glass

All types of commercial and automobile glass block the majority of UVB, but the degree of UVA transmission depends on the type of glass[4]. While the thickness of glass does affect UV radiation transmission, the effect is limited compared with other factors[5].

Vehicle windscreens and side windows
UV radiation levels inside a car vary depending on factors such as whether the side windows are open or closed and the position of the vehicle in relation to the sun. UV radiation levels are generally much lower inside the vehicle than outside in full sunlight[6].

Laminated glass, used for windscreens, and tempered glass, usually used for side and rear windows, both block UVB radiation[4][6]. However, UVA transmission depends on the type of glass. Laminated windscreens, made from a tough plastic layer bonded between two panes of glass, provide better protection against UV radiation compared with tempered glass, blocking about 98% of UVA radiation[6].

In comparison, tempered glass, used for side and rear windows, allows the transmission of substantially more UVA radiation. However the amount transmitted can vary widely depending on the thickness and colour of the glass[4]. Estimates of UVA transmission through tempered glass range as high as 79%[6].

Clear or tinted films can reduce the amount of UV radiation penetrating through the side glass by over 99%[6]. Alternatively, fabric side window covers can provide shade and UV protection. The amount of protection varies with different products. Tints and covers are only effective in providing protection against UV radiation when windows are closed.

Film and tint applied to car windows must meet state and territory regulations. All states and territories in Australia stipulate a maximum darkness, known as the visible light transmission level (VLT) for the windscreen, and side and rear windows. Windscreens are not to be tinted as the minimum requirement for VLT is 75% and even clear film reduces VLT below 75%. The Window Film Association of Australia and New Zealand website has information on regulations.

MoGas

Central Scrutinizer
I was told that tinting makes the inside of the car cooler. So at the tint shop I opened the stock untinted frt door and the rear tinted door facing the sun , and used a non-contact infrared thermometer gun, and the tinted window was hotter, the only benefit is it cuts down the UV off the furniture, and makes your car look cool. A Dash Mat help the A/C cooling seeing all the ducting is in the dash. I still had my car tinted, and the tint shop are still scratching there head.

Gee, Mr. Wizard. That means the tint is working. The sun radiates energy, you can't stop that energy, you can only absorb or reflect some of it by tinting (hence the percentages) the rest is transferred into the vehicle. The glass being warmer is showing the absorption that is not being transferred to the interior. While the vehicle is moving, the glass is cooled by the air moving over it. You went through 8th grade science, right?

Why do you think greenhouses are clear?

brian90744

American Trekker
I guess you went to a higher grade school than I. Also the darker color of your car will also absorption more interior heat.

Gee, Mr. Wizard. That means the tint is working. The sun radiates energy, you can't stop that energy, you can only absorb or reflect some of it by tinting (hence the percentages) the rest is transferred into the vehicle. The glass being warmer is showing the absorption that is not being transferred to the interior. While the vehicle is moving, the glass is cooled by the air moving over it. You went through 8th grade science, right?

Why do you think greenhouses are clear?

Last edited:

Bikemobile

Adventurer
I had 20% added to the factory front windows on my jeep. The factory glass was 70%. With the tint on it meters at 18%. Darker than I would like but it looks good.

Had 35% put on the wife's new Durango. Meters at 30%. Makes a nice difference in the summer heat and sunny days in winter at 8,000 feet.

Most State Troopers in Colorado have tint meters in their cars. My advice would be to avoid the 15% and less. Most cops would tell you that if they can't see your face through the window on a sunny day then it is too dark. Illegally tinted windows is probable cause for a traffic stop in Colorado. Lots of folks will tell you that they never get ticketed for it but the law is pretty strict.

Front windows must allow 70% light if the rears are 27% or darker. OR.... All windows must allow 27% light. No tint allowed on the windshield except for a strip on the upper portion. So..... Don't run around with 5% up front and get mad when you get a ticket. Worse than the mail in ticket would be a ticket for "defective vehicle" which requires you to return it to stock or within legal limits and get it signed off to avoid a trip to court.

Like any other mods, use common sense to avoid attention from the boys in blue.

scotchandsoda

I lived in Colorado for almost 8 years and can say for certain they ticket regularly for illegal tint, I never received a ticket myself but used to hear guys complain when they did, take a look at the law here http://tintlaws.com/ and here http://www.solargard.com/window-films/automotive/tint-laws

I live in NY and to be honest, here the cops are too eager as well when it comes to tint. All the members of my family have got the tickets for that in last 10 years. But the more important stuff: I was checking some tint law info recently and found out that tintlaws.com hasn´t been updated for quite a time and it contains some inaccurate info.. I found another resource, which seems to be much better - if someone here was checking the info.. http://windowtintlaws.org.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior