Tire Carrier Hinges - again

Which tire carrier hinge would you choose?

• AJ's Offroad Armor - double shear design

Votes: 19 21.1%
  • Iron Pig's Beefy bronze bushing design

Votes: 17 18.9%
  • Comp 4x4 Sleeve design

Votes: 16 17.8%
  • 4x4Labs 1.75 spindle design

Votes: 14 15.6%
  • Other (EMS, Rockstomper, etc)

Votes: 24 26.7%

• Total voters

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
Yeah, I'm well aware those, but am trying for something that doesn't look so... industrial. ;)

I ordered a small paddle latch. Just need to figure out some kind of rubber bumper with a threaded mount so it's adjustable to preload this latch.

chet

island Explorer
I've seen two of the trailer spindle types break off. After looking at the way they were mounted and secured alot had to do with no true support for the free end of the gate. All they used was the draw latch to pull the tire carrier down to the bumper. This stresses the hinge ALL the time. I am going to put a plate that supports the bottom, back and top of the carrier and the pull will pull the carrier into the bracket so all it is doing is holding the gate shut.

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
This stresses the hinge ALL the time.

Actually, that's not so bad. Constant stress is better than an oscillating load.

But yeah, I think having the end of the beam locked in all directions is best.

sasaholic

Adventurer
after looking at all the different styles i went with this
017.jpg

i like this design because the strenght and ease of maintenance if need be, i also incorporated zerk fittings for the heck of it. it swings nice and doesnt flex at all

AKRover

Adventurer
I'm really looking for a good double shear design and cant seem to settle on one. If they werent $100ea.. i'd like to possibly do a double swingaway.

Found this last night and never saw this linked before. It's rated up to 3000lbs and would work well simply welding to a vertical surface on my bumper.

Thoughts?

http://guardiangatehardware.com/sp-bin/spirit?PAGE=24&CATALOG=5
I really like those, I might have to give them a try. The 3000 lb rating is for a pair though so that would be 1500 each I'm guessing. They are still about $80 to $90 each.

Sasaholic - Doesn't that vertical post obstruct your tail light as seen from behind? I would add some LED brake lights to the bumper if it does.

sasaholic

Adventurer
the pictures look like its covered more than it really is. at night you cant even tell the difference. think about it there are alot of trucks out there that have thinner taillights then a tacoma so all is good(until i get pulled over haha) i dont think you could get a stronger design though

jesusgatos

Explorer
The best hinge & clasp setup I've seen/used is actually the stock spare tire carrier on the H2's. I know, ugh. But it's a solid design and it's built very well. Better than anything I've seen on any aftermarket bumper. No wobble, no worries. Integrated shackles, and super easy to adapt to other applications. You can find them on ebay and craigslist occasionally. Here's one on ebay right now. I've got an extra one that I was planning on mounting on my CJ5, but would let it go for $500 (located in Morgan Hill, CA).

KLAKEBRONCO

Adventurer
Well, just throw one more at you. How about this?

IMG_2090.jpg

IMG_2091.jpg

IMG_2082.jpg

IMG_2080.jpg

IMG_2104.jpg

IMG_2103.jpg

Hiem joints and grade 5 bolts. Very adjustable, very smooth and not very expencive. Not to mention unique. Just a thought. :wings:

Cheers,
Josh
&
Porthos
:smiley_drive:

Because of the movement the heim joints allow, won't the swing arm drop down every time you open it?

jesusgatos

Explorer
No. Using two of them like that, effectively turns them into some thing more like clevises (like these). Only advantage I can see is the ability to adjust/re-align the swing-away (maybe to compensate for sag?), but that shouldn't be an issue if it's built right in the first place.

maXTERRA

Adventurer
Here's how I do my bumpers:
DSC03176.jpg

DSC00308.jpg

McMaster Carr (www.mcmaster.com)
flange sleeve bushings (2) 6338k439
1" gr 8 bolt, 6" long 91257A969
Flat washers 98023A038
Nylock 1" 97135A038
Need to have somebody with a lathe drill/bore out a pc of 2" round for the bushings (1.25 ID)

KLAKEBRONCO

Adventurer
What about using the bolt and sleeve, but using a sleeve with a 1-1/2" I/D and a 1" bolt to pass through two 1" bore needle bearings. They have a 5,200lb radial load rating. You could put two in the sleeve one at top and bottom.

maXTERRA

Adventurer
The nice thing about the bushings, you can tighten down the bolt so the arm doesn't swing "too" freely.
You don't want it swinging shut whenever the vehicle is slightly off-camber.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94