Tire Carrier Hinges - again

Which tire carrier hinge would you choose?

• AJ's Offroad Armor - double shear design

Votes: 19 21.1%
  • Iron Pig's Beefy bronze bushing design

Votes: 17 18.9%
  • Comp 4x4 Sleeve design

Votes: 16 17.8%
  • 4x4Labs 1.75 spindle design

Votes: 14 15.6%
  • Other (EMS, Rockstomper, etc)

Votes: 24 26.7%

• Total voters

G35Vortec454

Adventurer
I am wondering what you guys suggest to use when making a swing out tire carrier to hold a 46" tire. I assume it weighs about 4k lbs. I know its kinda ridiculous. but I would feel alot more comfortable with a spare on my van. I am ordering the tires soon. I like the one towards the top of this page with the 2 hinges. kinda thinking something like that design. maybe with 1 inch bolts? or is there a better spindle out there that will be better? any input?

Did u mean 400 lbs?

G35Vortec454

Adventurer
I have the Comp4x4 large spindle with the optional double-shear bracket and it holds 300lbs pretty well (two 150# 19.5 wheels/tire assemblies), even without the upper shear bracket. I have it designed so that the carrier latches onto the receiver hitch, so that the hinge supports the entire weight only when the carrier is swinging out.

Previously, I had the smaller spinde and it bent.

Last edited:

Box Rocket

Here's an inexpensive option that I decided to try out on my trailer. I got them from Northern Tool. Simple greasable bolt but with a couple hinges like I'm using it seems plenty strong with a dual shear setup on both hinges.

Rattler

Thornton Melon's Kid
Subscribed.

I need to redo mine since teh Rockstomper one doesn't take well to Michigan winters.

norcal*PWRstroke

Adventurer
used the comp4x4 heavy duty spindle and plug welded the spindle into the sleeve!

c115ba3f.jpg

ed7166ac.jpg

Rattler

Thornton Melon's Kid
I might just come up with something at work uing brass bushings instead of ball bearings. Michigan winters tend to hate that Comp 4x4 style spindle. It looks an awful lot like what my Rockstomper looked like before mounting it.

norcal*PWRstroke

Adventurer
I might just come up with something at work uing brass bushings instead of ball bearings. Michigan winters tend to hate that Comp 4x4 style spindle. It looks an awful lot like what my Rockstomper looked like before mounting it.

there spindle has no sleeve how did you attach it to your bumper?

Rattler

Thornton Melon's Kid
there spindle has no sleeve how did you attach it to your bumper?

This was the one I used. Now that I look at it it isn't all that similar. We built mine 6 years ago so I forgot what the hell it was originally like.

http://www.rockstomper.com/catalog/pieces/hinge.htm

Either way, getting away from a ball bearing spindle would be better for my application I would think. I am sure we can come up with something at work. It might even be something completely different.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94