Tire choice for 88 Suburban

cyclic

Adventurer
About time for tires on the Suburban...................
Looking pretty heavy at the 255/75R17 size, two that seem good are the Cooper Discoverer ATP and the Hankook Dynapro ATM RF10. Trying not to blow the complete budget on tires alone. Any thoughts?

justcuz

Explorer
Falken Rocky Mountain and Yokohama Geolanders.
I've had good luck with both tires and with proper rotation get about 50 to 60 thousand miles out of a set of tires.

kins18q

Adventurer
About time for tires on the Suburban...................
Looking pretty heavy at the 255/75R17 size, two that seem good are the Cooper Discoverer ATP and the Hankook Dynapro ATM RF10. Trying not to blow the complete budget on tires alone. Any thoughts?

I have 255/75/r17 on my 2002 suburban. Cooper Discoverer AT3. Check out the AT3 they have an insane deal if you buy from tirecrawler. http://tirecrawler.com/shop/detail_tire.php?product_id=11765&t=GS&gclid=CKuU2vPqwcwCFRSUfgod-t4NaA

If you havent read it already, the tire comparison from ExPo ranked the AT3 the best tire all around....No brainer for me!

ZMagic97

Explorer
I would recommend the BFG A/T KO2s. Just put some on my Sierra a couple months and am sold for life on these tires. Balance well, good pricing, very quiet, and 60K(?) mile warranty.

DD196

Observer
If you havent read it already, the tire comparison from ExPo ranked the AT3 the best tire all around....No brainer for me!

I bought the AT3s based on the comparo. Good on and off road and quiet but were hard to balance and take a cold set every night, bump bump bump 4-5 miles every morning. Others have reported same. Wasn't mentioned in the test.

DD196

Observer
These tires have very swallow siping and it won't be long before your tires look like racing slicks with a couple jagged grooves running around them. I'd stay away.

Exactly describes the Falkens on a fella's Tacoma at work. May still work OK but they look like cr_ap.

ChevyPit

Observer
I currently have 31X10.5R15 on my 89 on stock wheels, they ride really good, but they look small.
I'm going to try some 285/75R16 from one of my other vehicles and see how they ride and look. When I do it I'll get some pictures and post them.
For brands: Cooper Discoverer ATR have been one of the best tires, they don't make them anymore, now they have the AT3, which I haven't tried, but have very good reviews.
I just finish my second set of Cooper Discoverer ST Maxx, and I was dissapointed. I ran 2 sets at the same time in 2 different trucks, and only got 25K miles out of them, but they were very bummpy and really hard. I'm currently running Firestone Destination AT, 8K miles and very happy. Also, Mastercraft Courser AT2, 15K miles and really good. Also Nankang MT, but only 2K miles on them, so far so good.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94