Tire pressure with LOADED FWC Hawk on truck?

Bucky

Observer
At 30,000 miles you are already over the UTQC rating for that tire. Over or under inflation is related to load. The explorer tire failures resulted from heat build up because the tires were under inflated for the load they were carrying. unfortunately tread wear is not a direct correlation to the heat build up in a tire. I'm going to assume that you have not found any problems like these: http://www.maxxis.com/media/197662/tire_damage.pdf unfortunately those are problems that arise only after the initiating damage is already done, meaning the tire can be damaged and still be absent those problems. Regardless you should still closely inspect your tires during your stops.

Thanks! I will check the tires at every stop.

(Do you mean UTQG? I can't find anything for UTQC.)

This is the last trip with a heavy load like I've described.

Bucky

escadventure

Adventurer
Interesting thread. I've been wondering about tire pressures too. I've got E rated GY Duratrac tires and like them. On the highway driving no more than 65, truck porpoises a bit sometimes if road isnt smooth. Carrying a load about 1600 lbs (has appropriate suspension upgrades).
Seems like adjusting tire pressures could help the porpoising... I'm running pretty high tp's now, for fuel economy.

DEnd

Observer
yeah UTQG. It's really a useless number, but absent a treadwear warranty its about the only indication of how many miles a manufacturer expects to get out of its tires.

DEnd

Observer
I'm not sure tire pressures would help much with porpoising. That's really more of a weight placement, suspension, and frame rigidity (though much less so on modern pickups) issue.

Bucky

Observer
TRIP REPORT

Just a quick note. Arrived eastern North Carolina safely last Sunday after 745 miles, 15.5 hours of driving (in one day!). Average mileage: 14.8mpg (according to DIC readout).

Route: Mass Pike, I-90 west to Taconic State Parkway (take I-87 south instead; only 4 miles, or so, further and quicker) to I-87S at Newburgh, to Garden State Parkway, to NJ Turnpike, to Delaware Memorial Bridge, picking up US 113 south of Dover, to US 13 South. Cross Chesapeake Bay Bridge-Tunnel, taking US 17 south (take second US 17 S exit to avoid huge bridge project at first exit). Take US 17 South all the way down to New Bern.)

Aired upped passenger tires performed well; no sign of damage or premature wear. Aired down to 40 psi on arrival (leaving camper on for a while).

Highest sustained speed was 68mph.

The Torklift Quick Disconnect Stableloads really made the difference, IMO, in being able to transport the one-ton load this long distance in an otherwise unmodified light truck. Side-to-side rocking was minimized, and cornering was a breeze with the Stableloads. No noticeable rear sag; the truck's stance can best be described as level under the one-ton load with the Stableloads engaged.

Re porpoising: Try reducing your speed. That works for me, sometimes down to 50mph, on those occasional rock 'n' roll bridges and stretches of Interstate.

Thanks for all the comments and advice.

Bucky
One Happy Camper
:)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior