Tire repair kit?

teotwaki

Excelsior!
X2 to the extreme kit shown above in post #15. As also stated above I too carry a brand new, sealed can of glue given the AZ, in vehicle, desert temps where the kit is stored. After a couple years the kit provided glue tubes still seem pliable but you never know.

I’m going to add this tool for installing valve stems.
https://www.opentip.com/product.php?products_id=3613634&ats=product_landing
I have done this job a couple times in the field by various other methods but this seems like a good idea given the small size.

Is all this overkill? Maybe, but time will tell. My wife bought the kit for me for Father’s Day a couple years ago. She is the queen of practical gifts!

Originally I had one similar to this
22980573_mil_s449_pri_larg.jpg

But was looking at the one you linked to

MIS-MIS-447.jpg

A while back I was given one of the TyrePlier bead breakers and it is pretty effortless to use
IMG_0111-1.jpg

Kerensky97

Xterra101
Speaking of additional tools that are useful to have, I've had one of these 4 way tools in my cars since I could first drive. I finally lost my original after a couple decades so I bought a new one. They're super cheap.

I've used it a few times to clean up threads that got chomped by a rock and to remove valve cores. But once I removed the valve core and the air blew it out of my hand into the grass where it was lost forever. A few spare valve cores are easy to carry in the emergency gear kit.

https://amzn.to/2u7cEmW

robert

Expedition Leader
I just put my own kit together over the years. Do some research on tire repair and then grab what you think you want and need. T-handled style tools are easiest to use; having the plate that limits travel if convenient to make sure you don't push the plug through. Also toss a Colby valve in your kit. Check it periodically and replace stuff as needed.

You used to be able to buy good vulcanizing patches that you ignited but too many Nancy boys must have gotten burned as you can't find them anymore. They still vulcanize overseas and I had the tire on my roommate's Pajero repaired on the side of the road by one of those guys. Fun to watch. You'll need tire tools to break the bead and unseat the tire. You really need a rasp of some sort to prep the interior carcass before applying one of those patches and a stitcher to go over it. Make sure you know how to reseat a bead as well i.e. have a can of starter fluid in the vehicle.

jgaz

Adventurer
Speaking of additional tools that are useful to have, I've had one of these 4 way tools in my cars since I could first drive. I finally lost my original after a couple decades so I bought a new one. They're super cheap.

I've used it a few times to clean up threads that got chomped by a rock and to remove valve cores. But once I removed the valve core and the air blew it out of my hand into the grass where it was lost forever. A few spare valve cores are easy to carry in the emergency gear kit.

https://amzn.to/2u7cEmW
Absolutely! The 4 way tool is even more important if you are dealing a lot with tubes.

When I spoke before of changing a valve stem or two by the “field expediency method” it involved this tool, a large screw driver, and maybe the handle of a pair of pliers.
For what it’s worth, one of these tools, spare valve stems and extra valve cores are included in the comprehensive tire repair kit Teotwaki linked in an earlier post.

Last edited:

Happy Joe

Apprentice Geezer
Whether airing down or repairing tires an air compressor will give you safe air pressure for the drive home...
A Jack will usually let you dismount beads so that you can replace the munched (or rotted) tubeless tire valve; getting the bead to reseat with a cheap air compressor can be a challenge (converted A/C compressors rule; as do ratchet straps around the tire circumferance).
Using gasoline or ether to seat a tire bead will often (usually) result in it being sucked back off as the fuel burns out inside the tire.
It has been years (decades) since I saw a tire shop do other than a rubber plug & glue as a permanent fix...

Enjoy!

LR Max

Local Oaf
X Whatever on the Safety seal kit. I've had mine for like, 15 years. Finally ran through all of the plugs. Bought replacement plugs and goo online. Good for another 15 years. I don't go on ANY road trip in ANY car (old 4x4, new 4x4, sedan, hatchback, heck I'll pack it in my luggage if I'm traveling with others) without it. Coupled with a cheapo small air compressor and at least a multi-tool, its my go-to kit for repairs. The cheapo air compressor isn't ideal, but its compact and it'll get the job done, especially with the sedan and hatchback.

I also echo the "short term" comment as bogus. I've had one of my plugs not hold, but it was my neighbor who keeps driving at 75 mph on near-flat tires. So the tire itself was junk. But other than that one instance, if you use a safety seal plug, it is FIXED. Unless its the sidewall, but that is another discussion for another campfire.

Ducky's Dad

Explorer
I also echo the "short term" comment as bogus.
Echo all you want, but just because a plug holds does not mean it is ideal. A proper patch will be vulcanized from the inside of the tire. Some duct tape and tie wire will hold a radiator hose together for a long time, but it's not an ideal repair.

GB_Willys_2014

On the basis of this thread, I went ahead and ordered the Outback Expedition kit as replacement/upgrade for my now ageing ARB kit.

The kit arrived yesterday, and I am impressed with the quality of the contents. It is a small thing but even the molle compatible pack is a nice touch and upgrade.

I initially hesitated at the kit's price, but am happy with it now that it has arrived.

jgaz

Adventurer
This works also and everyone (should) has one

tOIxnly7Lp-dVqlDZdlY5oc9F909W6kvT0UFFtHIGm-7mELRhQAuPSkEXmTnfH_LpRYmTXm9mgVT6bARXYfJngz-GatFu1mZXLlBStEKbhhx66yaKsuwUNK7YeB4rO5zk-5k3ROt9lSisVSq7N-ZOM4yVpOzLuqFvNGH9yQSIJ-KtHdSYn1lI0n3W6O8pMvDwcmSrkZZezu7QzChNYtbzNdCRC-TslWlSWti-O96QkiEwIxsFS_y8AulZO1taYSCgCrGbEqsmj3Tjai5ro1m9oO9qm-PbFdNdM89izx1rNBjtgpfWumccVecKYqlkPEoL8xZjl2mZn9R5YSyZXxHQ_kJEwba-aUsrvv689ItKxFh6_AYRGoJAkijhgv24b6WOEAENEIojDzAKbHeZj7SzfQdLEfWgzKqeK9iENnxiUc5Y1xOFeHNMBQMEGUxsk7Dzrxc-XYBcJxRUhX8QPzfyAyJicVIYnDchNz9VCFVYkwJvLJxoXsxZfbUoeXo_mr4xY3Le-BT6zGX8_ruMnJTNCFbwiE8Xk_Pk6bl15Pg_mc4EAq_KEnUb7PCt7Zm6gK8Tofshn4s9tbSbgO9yYmF3V7aixrEB4EAoWJnq6KI=w1347-h898-no
You are correct about the long handled tool. I dug mine out of the tool archives and as I suspected, it was tool long to fit in the handy, dandy, storage pouch. About two minutes with the die grinder and it now fits. My OCD is happy with all tire tools in one place. Lol!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94