Tire Repairs: Show your repair and tell your story

Beowulf

Expedition Leader
This might have already been done, but I'd love to see pics of your best/worst tire repair, the story of how it happened, and what you did to fix it.

We all know that tire damage can occur. Luckily I have not had any issues, but I know I will. Even though I carry a full tire repair kit, it is never used. To make sure I at least have some ideas of tire repairs in the back of my mind, I'd like to see what kind of repairs can be done. Of course this relates to trail repairs, so full side wall stitching is an ok strategy if it gets you to safety.

So let's hear what happened to your tire and how you fixed it.

toymaster

Explorer
I honestly do not think I've ever taken a picture of a tire repair. I could go snap a picture of the repair I did to my wife's subaru a few weeks ago but it would not be anything earth shattering.

Back in the day (mid to late eighties) I was an avid ATV rider in a part of the country with some not so nice folks. Roofing tacks were routinely thrown in mud holes to keep people out of areas where certain "crops" were grown. During this time I got pretty efficient at plugging holes in tires. Used to ride with plugs, plug install tool, and air pump tied to the ATV rack. The same repair techniques have proven reliable for me in car and truck tires for the last 30 years.

The worst one was in the side wall right where the tread stops and side wall begins on one of my truck tires. I thought it would never hold but I was wrong. The repair was there till the tire wore out. Some say plugs are just temporary and should be patched on the inside, I disagree.

My advice would be to carry several different thicknesses of vulcanizing string style plugs. If the hole is small it can be a major pain to insert a thick plug. You basically have to make the hole larger just to plug it. Even with the reamer tool it takes quite the effort on today's steel belted tires. Of course, if the hole is large the thicker ones work better. That said you can always double or triple up on the times the plug passes through the hole. If the tire damage is a slit a row of plugs work nicely. If the damage is a v-shaped tear then using your spare tire is your only choice.

A Viking name brand kit is kept in the jeep. Mostly just because I like my toy being stocked with high end accessories. A cheap walmart, plastic handled kit and a knife works just as well. This type of kit is kept in my toolbox and trucks.

LR Max

Local Oaf
I've had three kinds of "tire failures".

1. Puncture. Happens sometimes on the daily drivers. I've got a Safety Seal plug kit or if its in the middle of the tread, I'll have discount tire fix it (if its on the shoulder of the tire, they get all uppity about it and its easier for me to plug it than to listen to them tell me its unsafe).

2. Mud in the bead. Mud or sticks gets in between the tire and the rim. Unbolt tire, use hi-lift to knock tire off rim. Remove dirt. Re-inflate. Did this once last year. Had it fixed in about 20 minutes.

3. Tire come off bead. Never had this happen but somehow I'm around when someone else does it. After I unbolt the mess from the vehicle, I make the owner clean the rim and bead where they meet. Then throw a ratchet strap (prefer owners ratchet strap so mine don't get all miserably messy) around it and crank it down. Remove valve core. Re-inflate.

I have seen people have failed valve cores. However I've got a valve core removal tool and a bunch of spares. No issue there.

Otherwise, that is kinda it. Beyond that, I'll be pulling the spare out of the back of the truck and swapping it.

SnowedIn

Observer
My tire stories are all boring, mostly after learning from other people's tire problems.

- Notice tire is low
- Get full size spare and necessary tools from easy to retrieve , known locations
- Loosen lug nuts. Be very glad I put them on with a torque wrench.
- Jack up vehicle with a safe jack that actually works, is appropriate for current vehicle ride height, and has an additional solid base if needed.
- Swap tires
- Re-torque the lug nuts with the torque wrench
- Deal with puncture later, preferably with an actual patch on the inside.

Still have a compressor, tire repair kit, hi-lift, and ratchet strap handy, though.

Last edited:

craig333

Expedition Leader
I've been pretty lucky. Only had to use my safety seal kit once. Only had one come off the rim. I carry a tube and bailing wire just in case this ever happens again and I'm desperate.

doug720

Expedition Leader
We had something similar to above happen in Mexico. It was the third flat in our two vehicles and we had no more spares. All were side wall cuts due to the incredibly rocky road and good sized loads.

We had tire tools and a tube, so we choose the tire with the smallest sidewall hole, about the same as above. For a patch, we ended up cutting a mud flap to make the largest patch possible. The patch ended up being about 22" long and it extended onto the rim and tread areas also. The tube locked it all together and it lasted for 2 days and about 75 miles before we found a new - used - tire.

Quest4ADV

Adventurer
I tried this once, was not successful! :sombrero:

crappy%20tire%20repair%20%28Medium%29.jpg

Crom

Expo this, expo that, exp
Here you go

SITUATION:

• I was deep in Saline Valley, CA in August and solo. It was 30 miles uphill to the nearest pavement and the TPMS light went off. I stopped the truck (engine running) and looked around but everything looked fine. I stopped about a mile further to investigate an area of interest. With the engine off and the puncture at 12 o'clock I heard the hissing sound.
    annoyed_gaah.gif
RESOLUTION:

• I moved the truck around to make some shade for myself (104° in the sun) and went to work. I removed the offending piece of metal which looks like a mangled fence staple. I used the rasp tool, applied the rubber cement to the plug, and then plugged the hole. I then aired up the tire.
    cool.gif
  • All said and done it took me about 20 minutes. But let me tell you, getting that rasp tool all the way through the rubber lug of plus the 6-plys of rubber sucked! It was no easy task!
    eek.gif

AFTER THOUGHTS:

• Tire plug kits are worth their weight in gold if you don't have to change to a spare tire.
    biggrin.gif
    thumbsup.gif
    yay.gif
  • Saline Valley has a long history of disabling vehicles, so I'm not the least bit disappointed at what happened. It goes with the territory.

DSC04972.JPG

Close up of the plug before trimming.
DSC04973.JPG

Trimmed the plug with a scissors per directions on packaging
DSC04976.JPG

DSC04974.JPG

DSC04975.JPG

Saline Valley, CA
DSC04959.JPG

proper4wd

Expedition Leader
If you by chance carry a cordless/rechargeable drill, an appropriate sized drill bit used in place of the reamer makes the plugging task much easier.

Willman

Nice story Crom! Thanks for sharing.

Having a great kit will make a good story...But not having a kit or a spare tire can leave..in my case a very mad wife.....

Extreme Outback sells one of the best tire repair kits around. OJ had great things to say about it. Tools fit in your hand easier. Super high quality.

Snip20141106_1.png

http://www.sierraexpeditions.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=196

ARB also offers a great kit for the money:

http://www.sierraexpeditions.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=379

Snip20141106_2.png

Owning a plug kit out in the backcountry is a great backup to have just incase....and will keep the wife happy

;)

Last edited:

Beowulf

Expedition Leader
I have the outback kit. It is quite nice. I also have an original Safety Seal kit. With those two combined, you really have the best of all plug systems. Plus, it all fits in the Outback bag.

craig333

Expedition Leader
And if the cost bothers you, just think about how much you'd pay for one when its 104 in Saline Valley. That ones a no brainer. However, I keep mine in the Jeep. I have forgotten to transfer it to the Truck when I'm not towing. I really need to have a list of stuff not to forget.

psykokid

Explorer
Not mine but a couple of years ago a few guys from SCLR went up to Coyote flats. They were making their way to funnel lake iirc and an LR3 on stock all seasons caught a rock in the sidewall. They managed to plug the gash with about 4 plugs and copious amounts of rubber cement.

IMG_1097.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Crom

Expo this, expo that, exp
Poked two new holes in my Duratrac 265 75 R16 LR C tires in Death Valley on Dec 29th.
Plugged both holes in the freezing wind at ruins of Chloride City. The tire plugs had to be thawed out in the cab in front of the heater vents. It was 33F and very windy.

Also learned that it's best to mark on the wheel the location of the punctures, that way plugs can be easily checked later.

DSC01937.JPG

DSC01941.JPG

DSC01940.JPG

DSC01994.JPG

DSC01996.JPG

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94