Tire size/brand recommendation with 16" wheels and 40mm lift springs?

M Threezy

Hello!

I am having new Thor springs installed that will provide 40mm lift in addition 16" Ashtaroth wheels. I like the look of the PUR 30 trucks.

1. What size tires is recommended? 265/75/16 is what is on the PUR but these come out to 31.6" X 10.5". Seems a little narrow for this truck?
  2. What brand/model tires?
I am considering the Firestone Destination A/T's with the special edition side walls
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tire...on Blackwall&partnum=675TR6DESTATSE&tab=Sizes

Or

Just BFG A/T's however, I don't like the raised white lettering.
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tire...R6KO2RWL&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes

Any pics of example trucks with similar setup and various tire sizes would be appreciated!

otiswesty

Regular guy
Ah, the pinnacle of G production!

I run a 285/75/16 BFG AT but it rubs at full steering lock. For that reason, I run 30mm wheel spacers up front.
To avoid needing a wheel spacer using a stock 16" alloy, you would need a narrower tire. A 265 series tire would work, but it seems a little short. I think a 33" tire size is ideal. My preference would be the 255/85/16 to avoid rubbing. The stock 265 tire is a good fit, unsure about a 275mm tread width. though

As for the raised white lettering, you can always mount that side facing in.

M Threezy

Ah, the pinnacle of G production!

I run a 285/75/16 BFG AT but it rubs at full steering lock. For that reason, I run 30mm wheel spacers up front.
To avoid needing a wheel spacer using a stock 16" alloy, you would need a narrower tire. A 265 series tire would work, but it seems a little short. I think a 33" tire size is ideal. My preference would be the 255/85/16 to avoid rubbing. The stock 265 tire is a good fit, unsure about a 275mm tread width. though

As for the raised white lettering, you can always mount that side facing in.

Looks like they don't make an AT in 255/85/16, darn! 265 looks ideal but like you said a little short. I wouldn't mind something that measures 32".

otiswesty

Regular guy
If you could trial mount a 275 to assess for rubbing on the pitman arm, you would provide a lot of good info to the rest of us.
The 285 rubs, but the 265 does not.

I think BFG sells the 255/85/16 in a mud terrain tire. Probably a little noisy for primary street use tho.

Poohbah

2000 SWB G Wagon.jpg

I have the Thor springs, King shocks, 25mm wheel spacers and Goodyear MT/R 285-75 16s on Hutchison wheels. No rubbing in front. I've had both rear wheel in a deep ditch, all three lockers engaged, one front wheel in the air, seeing only blue sky and there was some rear wheel rubbing as it walked itself out.

otiswesty

Regular guy
I have the 25mm wheel spacers and Goodyear MT/R 285-75 16s on Hutchison wheels. No rubbing in front.

My set up is 285-75 16 BFG AT KO2 on the 16" Ashtaroth wheel and 30mm wheel spacers (front only). No rubbing.

Attachments

• MoabBack.jpg
    MoabBack.jpg
    217.9 KB · Views: 33
  • ClosedTear.jpg
    ClosedTear.jpg
    238.2 KB · Views: 28

otiswesty

Regular guy
Tall brown springs up front were fitted for use with the original heavy Europa winch bumper. These are stock.
The rear springs are the typical G500 3 stripe yellow-orange and have 30mm spring spacers fitted.

M Threezy

Tall brown springs up front were fitted for use with the original heavy Europa winch bumper. These are stock.
The rear springs are the typical G500 3 stripe yellow-orange and have 30mm spring spacers fitted.

I must have the tall brown springs as well since I have an original Europa winch bumper. How much lift does this give over the stock springs?

otiswesty

Regular guy
I switched to a tow pin bumper when I got the truck. Much lighter than the full time winch + cradle bumper. The front sat high with the new tow pin bumper and seemed to level out with the 30 mm spring spacers at the rear. So, I would have to guess about 30mm, but more like zero lift if you still have the winch bumper on it.

It did have the winch on it for the trip in the prior pics.

Attachments

• LadderAccess.jpg
    LadderAccess.jpg
    247.6 KB · Views: 16

zimm

Expedition Leader
View attachment 405171

I have the Thor springs, King shocks, 25mm wheel spacers and Goodyear MT/R 285-75 16s on Hutchison wheels. No rubbing in front. I've had both rear wheel in a deep ditch, all three lockers engaged, one front wheel in the air, seeing only blue sky and there was some rear wheel rubbing as it walked itself out.

thats real nice. ida gone with a matching spare tho.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94