Tire size for F250

Wondering if I should go with 35's or 37's on my 2000 F250 overland build. I would prefer the truck had a 4" lift, but it came with a brand new 6" lift and I don't plan on changing it anytime soon. Would 35's net better fuel economy and provide more articulation or are they just going to look bad with the lift? Tire brand/tread recommendations would be appreciated as well.

resized.jpg

Last edited:

GarrickG

The short answer is...

Yes, the 35s will get better mpg. How much better depends on the speed that you drive, if the 35s you seek are A/T or M/T and if you are gas or diesel.

Articulation depends on what lift components, what tire brand (not all brands measure the same) and what wheel offset you have.
Something else to consider is contact with body panels, the front bumper and braces and the front springs. 35s are possible with no lift and minor trimming...with the right offset...

How good (or bad) a lift/tire/wheel combination looks, becomes a personal preference.

Can you attach any pictures of what you have?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Renntag

Adventurer
Previous post nailed all of what I was going to suggest. I can only add that the larger tire provides axle clearance. Also consider ease of replacement. Odd size, hard to get tires.

Consider how soft your suspension is too. Ride quality may be important. You can resell your 6" lift if need be.

+2 for pic request. I have a '99 F250 extended cab, short bed, 7.3, 5 speed. I am considering a small lift and larger tires but ride quality is important. So much to consider.

Jeff Knoll

I just stepped up to a 37" BFG AT from a 32" BFG MT on my 1996 F250 with a 5.8 and manual. I could not be happier that I went 37's over a 35, but my needs are a little more extreme than most. I think your gear ratio, motor, and transmission are going to be a deciding factor, more so than articulation and the lift you have. I have a 4.10 ring and pinion and will be going to a 4.88 in the near future as part of my planned build. The gear ratio change should net around a 400 RPM change and get me very close to the stock final drive numbers. Subsequently, I also hope something reasonable in fuel MPG. There are a number of online calculators available to help you see what the various tire sizes will do to your drive ratio and perhaps help you make a decision.

This truck is under construction, but here is what a 37" tire and factory suspension looks like. This vehicle does not have a lift kit, the fenders and custom bumper allow the use of this size tire without any rubbing on the body. The wheel does rub the leaf spring at full lock on the steering wheel. I assume a 35 may also rub the leaf spring on a 2000 model. Rear tires do not rub at full articulation due to the large wheel well on the utility bed. Ground clearance is greatly improved as well as tire contact patch by going to the 37. I plan to use this vehicle on some fairly rough trails so your needs may be less extreme.

image1.JPG

Pics added. Its a 7.3 Diesel w/4r100 auto trans. It has an edge programmer, free flowing exhaust, and intake. Previous owner said he had 37's on it before and it caused a noticeable decrease in power. It has 3.73 gears and I would prefer not to have to change them. Front tire is a 315/75/16 and the rear is a 285/75/16. Truck came with the 285/75/16's, but I threw the 315/75/16 on there just to see what it would look like. I plan on keeping the 16" wheels and painting them black. Am I gonna be able to get a slide in camper in the back of this thing at this height if I go with 37's?

Last edited:

Flhtruss

Observer
Definitely a re-gear would be needed. There was a thread on this site about regrets, large tires came up often, SCH is doing 37's w/o a lift and re-gearing and he has 4.10 don't forget the turning radius will be affected.

Jeff Knoll

Pics added. Its a 7.3 Diesel w/4r100 auto trans. It has an edge programmer, free flowing exhaust, and intake. Previous owner said he had 37's on it before and it caused a noticeable decrease in power. It has 3.73 gears and I would prefer not to have to change them. Front tire is a 315/75/16 and the rear is a 285/75/16. Truck came with the 285/75/16's, but I threw the 315/75/16 on there just to see what it would look like. I plan on keeping the 16" wheels and painting them black. Am I gonna be able to get a slide in camper in the back of this thing at this height if I go with 37's?

I don't recall the tire size on my recently sold 2005 Super Duty, but I do recall that performance suffered when I went to a larger tire. I also ran a slide in camper and loading that beast on a lifted truck was super sketch. I ultimately went back to stock tire size and noticed a big change in everything about the truck. If you are not interested in a gear swap, I would be super conservative in your tire size choice.

I wish I could find the same truck you have with a manual transmission and decent miles. That is a cool truck.

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
Better be a light camper with 37's. 37x13.5 on a 18x9 wheel is pretty hot around here. How wide are those 16" wheels?

Take good measurements at full lock to make sure 37's won't hit the leaf springs too much. I'd put Bushwacker cut out flares on it, and then use the lowest custom springs I can get away with. If it rides fine, run the 6" setup with fresh shocks.

Many people are ok with 6r100 and 6r140 transmissions 37" tires, and 3.73 gears. Compare the 4r 1st gear ratio to the 6r. If you do regear, err big. Maybe 4.56. Do the diffs, seals, and bearings, at the same time.

Tex68w

Beach Bum
From an aesthetics stand point those 35's look small with that 6" lift. If you are sticking with that lift then I'd go with 37's, maybe consider regearing down the road?!

46s look right to me

ed5814_73081c4467db4930a51614ea1ad09dfe~mv2_d_1600_1200_s_2.jpg

https://www.megarexxtrucks.com/megaraptor-46s

wild1

Adventurer
From a practical standpoint you have about the ideal setup minus the lift. I have the same truck with a v-10. I have a leveling kit with 285's and could get 35's on with a little trimming. I have over a 120 thousand miles with an Alaskan camper on a service body , think real heavy. With in the scope of what you can actually do with a camper on board I think big tires and big lifts are a very expensive cosmetic affection for overlanding. Of course I have had to fight the urge to go large for the last 12 years, big tires look great on Super Duties, but I know I'd hate my self in the morning.IMG_0744.JPG

Tex68w

Beach Bum
From a practical standpoint you have about the ideal setup minus the lift. I have the same truck with a v-10. I have a leveling kit with 285's and could get 35's on with a little trimming. I have over a 120 thousand miles with an Alaskan camper on a service body , think real heavy. With in the scope of what you can actually do with a camper on board I think big tires and big lifts are a very expensive cosmetic affection for overlanding. Of course I have had to fight the urge to go large for the last 12 years, big tires look great on Super Duties, but I know I'd hate my self in the morning.View attachment 446745

Nah, you'd be glad you did it honestly. The drawbacks of bigger tires has bothered me less than when the trucks were stock and the small tires ate away at me every time I looked at the truck. These trucks are so large these days that you have to give them a tire/wheel thats proportional to the ratio. I never regret bigger tires, but YMMV!

Reactions: Boz

erikswedberg

I just stepped up to a 37" BFG AT from a 32" BFG MT on my 1996 F250 with a 5.8 and manual. I could not be happier that I went 37's over a 35, but my needs are a little more extreme than most. I think your gear ratio, motor, and transmission are going to be a deciding factor, more so than articulation and the lift you have. I have a 4.10 ring and pinion and will be going to a 4.88 in the near future as part of my planned build. The gear ratio change should net around a 400 RPM change and get me very close to the stock final drive numbers. Subsequently, I also hope something reasonable in fuel MPG. There are a number of online calculators available to help you see what the various tire sizes will do to your drive ratio and perhaps help you make a decision.

This truck is under construction, but here is what a 37" tire and factory suspension looks like. This vehicle does not have a lift kit, the fenders and custom bumper allow the use of this size tire without any rubbing on the body. The wheel does rub the leaf spring at full lock on the steering wheel. I assume a 35 may also rub the leaf spring on a 2000 model. Rear tires do not rub at full articulation due to the large wheel well on the utility bed. Ground clearance is greatly improved as well as tire contact patch by going to the 37. I plan to use this vehicle on some fairly rough trails so your needs may be less extreme.

View attachment 445265

that bumper looks sick. where'd you get it?

billiebob

View attachment 445265
all in all that is an awesome truck

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior