Tire Size: How wide is TOO wide?

FDM2012

Adventurer
I am considering these: https://tiresize.com/tires/Mickey-Thompson/Baja-MTZ-Radial-375-65R16.htm

I see a few trucks with tires that seem to be 15'' wide rolling around here, and they look pretty cool.
But, I haven't been able to talk with any of them to see how "Grabby" the steering might be.

And on my Quigley, I wonder if I would ever be able to get the alignment anywhere close to satisfactory.
As pricey as they are, I would really appreciate some feedback, from those THAT KNOW!

However, I would need to find another offset rim for a spare, and figure out the best place to carry it.
Most likely center-rear roof.

I already have some 8 lug 16'' x 10'' rims with an 2'' negative offset. Once I
get my front hubs machined down to eliminate the DRW spacer, (the same as in the pic) it should have the
rotor tucked just inside the rim, as is normal. (the same as in the pic) I prefer to not run spacers, that is
why I picked up these rims.
P10100102.jpg

From my rudimentary measurements, it will put the front WMS about 1'' inside of the rears. So hopefully,
the turning radius won't be an issue.
And the rear tires will still be just inside the box. But, the rotors will be exposed. I'm well aware that
the wheel inertia should be closer to inside of the rim, but.........
IMG_20160727_165757.jpg

On these 10' rims, they will be around 36' tall, so I am right at the limit for my 4:10 gears,
especially being just under 11k in weight.

And yes, I have recently bought a 26 row trans cooler ($50 at a junk yard), that I will install sooner, than later.
With all the increased torque from engine mods and taller ratios in the rear make the tranny/drive line
the weak link. I get that.

I guess what I am asking is: What is the minimum WMS "required" to run these tires on my front?

Last edited:

zuke

Adventurer
15 inch is awfully wide, along with the offset, you're goinig to have quite a bit of scrub when turning. The tires will tend to track in minor ruts in the road, and you will see accelerated wear of the tires and front suspension components. You'll also probably find the large amount of steering/road/bump steer feedback provided by that setup annoying...

If you really want to try a setup like that, I'd look for some used rubber first, just to see if you like it or not...

gtbensley

Explorer
I believe I have some 305's on my van, or something close to that. I do have spacers and they still rub while turning some. Had them on when I bought it and I will wear them out before replacing but they are definitely not my first choice. They look sweet but I dont like how they track all that well. On rutted roads they cant make up their mind where they want to ride.

I would say pass, they look awesome but wont be pleasing to drive.

Betarocker

Adventurer
Just turning the wheels will require forward or rearward movement unless hydraulic ram assist is used. If you are spending all the time on a beach, I would stay with a 12.5 to 13.5 tire.

FDM2012

Adventurer
Turning the wheels is one of the things I haven't considered. Thx.

Yeah, I really want 13.5, but on the 16'' rims I already have, there aren't many options...

No huge hurry, so I will keep doing my homework!

Just turning the wheels will require forward or rearward movement unless hydraulic ram assist is used. If you are spending all the time on a beach, I would stay with a 12.5 to 13.5 tire.

Sheep Shagger

Adventurer
I've run 285, 305 and 315s on an 06 Quigley. The 315 is by far my favorite and rides the best, 285 being the worst. But 315 is only 12.5 inches. Obviously offset is key if you want to keep full steering, and 315 did require fender trimming. Can't say I noticed any difference in steering input between any of them, the wider the tire the better the van tracked down the freeway though. (Which seems odd).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior