Tires Getting Spiked On Trail

VistaCruiser

Observer
More and more of that happening. Here in Colorado too, where MJ is legally grown, mostly indoors. Eco-terrorists and anti-access crowds are getting more aggressive. Dirt bike, ATV/UTV, Jeep trails seem to be the target. Equestrian, mountain bike, and hiking trails have not been affected yet. So bad here, I'll get out and inspect suspicious foliage/debris in the trail, I'll start checking the water crossings too now. Stay safe out there!

Sam

Expedition Leader
I would like to see a picture of the spiking device or see an illustration of the technique used.

Caltrops are quite simple and easy to make (don't ask me how I know). Take three six-penny nails, grind the heads off of them and sharpen that end too, tack weld two together in an X, tack weld the third perpendicular to the first two. Drop them anywhere, and one or more points will be pointing up away from whatever surface they are on. Originally invented as an anti-cavalry trap in warfare; obviously they work great on car/truck tires too. If you want to see what one looks like, just Google "caltrops"

Some folks are just plain mean.
Absolutely. Up to 2% of any given population are sociopaths of one variety or another.

RE: pot growers/meth labs - one learns rather quickly not to drive down private roads that you don't know who they belong to in east Texas and north Louisiana.

hansrober

Adventurer
Thanks for that information. This stuff just gets in my craw.
How could this kind of activity be curtailed?
Let say this stuff became much more prevalent and more publicized. Would the powers at be just push to solve the problem by finding the lowest cost solution, that being to restrict access to affected public lands, for the publics safety and security?

Expedition Leader
Thanks for that information. This stuff just gets in my craw.
How could this kind of activity be curtailed?

Unfortunately, Prohibition (as in the 18th Amendment) and the "war on drugs" (not to mention all the gun laws) have shown us that you can't legislate morality. Even if you had stiff legal penalties for setting traps like that, proving who did it would be very difficult.

Greenbean

B.S. Goodwrench
Time for some well placed game cameras,

We have used some in the past where I work to thwart certain "activities!"

Sorry to hear about this though,
Damage to all four tires is NOT fun to anyone!!!

Arclight

SAR guy
If this were happening in my back yard, I would raise awareness as much as possible. Don't just e-mail your local PD a comment from their web page. Have several people show up at different times to make a report in person. Bring photos, GPS coordinates, maps, statements. Insist that you have to get a report for insurance. Have everyone who took damage do the same.

It is very important that you make Law Enforcement's work as easy as possible - they are limited in terms of time and resources. But you must be persistent and having people make multiple visits puts a lot more pressure on agency folks to do something.

Make sure you emphasize your fear for life and limb ("There's a youth hunt scheduled for next week! My kid rides our quads with mom on that trail! He could have been killed!") Do not let your concern be talked down to a "simple vandalism" complaint.

Do the same at the local BLM or USFS office. Follow up and make sure you get copies of each agency's report if they are willing to release it. If not, ask for the case/report number and a contact. While you are visiting in person to follow up, make sure to give each agency a copy of the other's report, case #, detective's contact info, etc. They may not talk to each other unless you facilitate it yourself. Keep visiting to drop off any new leads you get. This keeps your issue on the front burner at the station.

Next, call the local paper. Get it on the local news. Call as well as visit the county supervisors or city council offices. Post up flyers - both in the nearby towns and on the trails. Install a game camera or 3 and try to get some photos. Consider publishing anything you have. "Red Ford F250 with a green winch bumper - Call 911 immediately if you see it!" is better than a flyer with no actionable info. Put the case number and the lead LEO contact on the flyers.

If good leads come your way, don't make contact with anyone involved. Get these to Law Enforcement.

Make sure to keep your own log of any leads, contacts or game camera activities. LEO will need to establish a timeline and "chain of custody" for everything if the perps go to trial.

If you can, get a reward fund together. If some folks in your Jeep club are mad and have somewhat deep pockets, post a reward that is well more than it should be worth. Like in the $1000-10000 range.

And don't settle for posting 10 flyers. You want hundreds. You want to make it look like the whole county is on a manhunt and ready to kill or capture them if they so much as drive by the Walmart in their out-of-state cousin's rental car.

This probably won't result in their immediate capture and punishment. But eventually, the responsible party or someone who knows them will see all the attention. They have to get gas, buy groceries, and use those roads themselves. Peer pressure or nervousness from the publicity will likely make them knock it off, at least for a while. This is as much "PsyOps" as it is anything else - making the public aware of what these jerks are doing, and using popular opinion to get government resources and community pressure on it.

Remember, stalkers, sociopaths and other jerks like to work in private. They like it when their victims keep quiet. Bringing a massive magnifying glass over their activities on Rural Route 1 in East Bungraper County, OK will make life hard for them. Even maladjusted people hate feeling like the community is watching them 24/7. And being ultra-public also means there's no single person that they can vent their anger on.

I've been through this process before. A polite but very tenacious campaign will get results.

Arclight

Last edited:

Chili

Explorer
My first thought was Eco-Terrorists too. I lived in SW Washington State back in the late 80's and early 90's, and my dad was a log truck driver. Back then the Spotted Owl issue was huge and there were a number of reports of spiked trees. Not so much an issue for my dad, as a truck driver, but the loggers and mill workers could easily be seriously injured or killed when saws hit the metal.

I worked at a lumber mill for a short while after graduating high school, but only ran a dog ear saw (cutting off the top corners for fence boards), so no real worries there.

Finlay

Triarius
Hunters and ranchers are good at putting nails and spikes into trees too while building fences and stands. Also, bullets. I've pulled a surprising number of bullets from trees I've been cutting down for lumber. The metal isn't great for the blade, but it is largely inconsequential.

Anyway, it's a little premature to ascribe motives to the individuals behind this - they could be locals upset by the traffic, to greenpeace types saving Bambi, or anywhere in between. People do crazy anti-social **** for a variety of reasons.

Hell, I recall once a very pissed off white dude in BFE Idaho with a shotgun held my bus full of wildland firefighters hostage because he was convinced the Feds set the fire so as to enter his land to spy on him. I guess that was sort of a thing for him - he didn't like anyone driving down that (public) road. At all. And all the extra traffic really pushed him over the edge. The local sheriff had to talk him into letting us go past - I dunno what happened to him after that, but we took a different route to get to the staging area on subsequent days.

Point is though, I doubt his Earth First! membership was up to date. Also, his psych meds.

Bristol

Observer
Have any of you heard about this and, if so, what's being done about it? I know this is no urban legend.

Jerry, you are correct, this is no urban legend. I belong to the Texarkana Jeep Junkies club, about 2 hours away from the K-Trail. I can confirm 100% that two of our members go flat tires exactly the way you describe just a couple of months ago. This was on May 5, 2015 and it was Shane Parker, Steve Nabors and Chad Watts from the Texarkana club that got hit. Here is what they said in their Facebook post: "We were in a bad situation. A boobie trap or something very sharp blew both my left tires and Chad's left rear. We only had a spare each. Thankfully we brought plugs and a pump or we would have been in a bind." This happened "Somewhere close to a deep, long and narrow water hole. The tree and brush canopy is low. The trail splits right before it where you can avoid it and go around. Around a mile west of the fire tower." They did not go back to investigate what caused the problem. Now I know for certain it was indeed a trap set for them. I actually just finished a K-Trial trip this last weekend. There is a report here on Expo Portal. However, we had three vehicle failures out of the five in our group and stopped at the fire tower heading east to west, just before the western half of the trail that seems to be targeted here. We did not have any problems with the K-Trail east of the fire tower.

Kirk

Someone find my thread from a 2010-ish trip down the Ktrail. We had locals build a very large firy blockade in the middle of the trail and then watched us from afar. Was a very unpleasant situation.

Fk the K-Trail.

fo' runnin'

Overland Textile Co.
Yes, this is no myth, it's happening on the K-Trail (Kiamichi Trail). It's happened in the biggest mud hole on the trail that many people call "The Jungle", which is just a mile or two west of the infamous Fire Tower. Like already stated there is a bypass to the hole, TAKE IT! There has been lots of this type of activity along this trail, tire spikes, fires in the middle of the trail, trees being cut down across the trail, etc... It is NOT advised to travel this trail without being armed and very aware.

Last edited:
Yes, this is no myth, it's happening on the K-Trail (Kiamichi Trail). It's happened in the biggest mud hole on the trail that many people call "The Jungle", which is just a mile or two west of the infamous Fire Tower. Like already stated there is a bypass to the hole, TAKE IT! There has been lots of this type of activity along this trail, tire spikes, fires in the middle of the trail, trees being cut down across the trail, etc... It is NOT advised to travel this trail without being armed and very aware.

I'm just learning to stay out of Oklahoma.

I've been to Mexico as many times as I've been to Oklahoma. Oklahoma 3, Mexico 0 (incidents that have threatened safety/security/ peace of mind).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior