TJ as road trip/overlander?

Eric_

Anyone drive their TJ for 2k+ miles on the road? Is it really as bad as people say it is if I buy one with a hardtop and try to sound deaden it?

jscherb

Expedition Leader
The sound in a TJ hardtop isn't the real problem with long trips, it's the amount of space inside - there just isn't enough space for all the gear and luggage you might want to carry on a long trip, especially if you're not traveling alone. If the sound does bother you, a good headliner will lower the noise. My LJ now has 200,000 miles on it, a lot of that done on highways from upstate NY where I live to trails in Colorado, Utah, southern California and other places, including north to the Arctic Ocean in Alaska and it's a pleasure on the highway. My hardtop does have an insulated headliner so it's a bit quieter than a factory top, but even without that it would be fine on the highway.

Also I run Michelin LTX MS/2 in 265/75-16 tires; they've got a very quiet tread pattern - if you try a long drive in heavy, lugged off-road tires the noise will probably be unbearable. I've never been let down by the Michelins on the trail, and they're quiet and comfortable at 80 mph across the great expanses of prairie between home and the trails.

BTW when I had a soft top TJ the soft top was unbearable on the highway - I highly recommend a hardtop for very long drives.

DaltonArcticCircle_zpsd511c541.jpg

Vinman

Observer
I’ve driven TJ’s with a soft top from Calgary, Alberta to Anaheim CA. From Calgary to Sedona, from Calgary to Vegas, from Calgary to Reno and from Calgary to Vancouver Island as well as a handful of trips to Moab over the years. Most of the time the top was either windowless or down completely. Zero complaints.
Yeah, it’s not as quiet and comfortable as typical vehicle but it’s part of the Jeep experience, kind of like riding a motorcycle.

Last edited:

86scotty

Cynic
I agree, but you've got to be committed with the Jeep experience. Compared to any modern car/truck they are noisy, bouncy, inefficient and tiring. But, if you don't know any different or you really just love your Jeep you might not mind at all. Lots of folks think a JK or JL is noisy and rough. It's all perspective.

For me, a lifted TJ is probably going to lose out based on mpg's more than anything else crossing the country.

Vinman

Observer
I’ve driven TJ’s with a soft top from Calgary, Alberta to Anaheim CA. From Calgary to Sedona, from Calgary to Vegas, from Calgary to Reno and from Calgary to Vancouver Island as well as a handful of trips to Moab over the years. Most of the time the top was either windowless or down completely. Zero complaints.
Yeah, it’s not as quiet and comfortable as typical vehicle but it’s part of the Jeep experience, kind of like riding a motorcycle.
I should add that with a the Bestop Sailcloth soft top with the windows in the noise level is very close to a hard top. My new 03 Rubicon came with one and I was surprised how quiet it was compared the regular soft top on the Jeep it replaced.

billiebob

But, if you don't know any different or you really just love your Jeep you might not mind at all.
Give me a freaking break..... I've had Mercs, Grands, Grand Prixs, Lincolns, those of us in love with Wranglers have had it all and like the Wrangler because it is the most versatile, the toughest, the most reliable, the easiest to fix...... and noisy, sure the roof is removable.... bouncy yes, the short manuverable wheelbase which gives fabulous mobility is not as smooth riding as a long box quad cab Sierra, inefficient... really I bought my latest TJR because the guys with the ultra miler eco thingy F150s told me they get the same mileage I do loaded.... the ultra efficient engines today only deliver that 25plus MPG empty, and rough.... definitely, solid axles might be bulletproof but they are heavy compared to all the flimsy independent front suspensions out there. Maintaining that Sierra will drain yer wallet and likely leave you broken long before anything with solid axles front and rear...

Then there is the Rubicon with factory lockers in both Dana 44 axles and the 4:1 RockBox Transfer Case. No one else has both of those as standard equipment. Jeep has been doing it for 20 years. Look at the specs, pick the best choice for where you want to go. I love my wifes Subarus, shes had 5, but I'll never take it where I love to drive/overland.

Noise is hardly an issue if you love taking the doors or roof off.
Really, ya think any pickup with an RTT will get better MPG than a Wrangler doing the same cross country?? You need more experience. Mine as pictured can deliver 17mpg. I know guys with pickups happy with 13mpg.

But I built my Square Drop so I could overland without doors yet have them when it snows. It is the ONLY North American vehicle with removable doors.

DSC_0122.jpeg

On the long distance drive thing, we drove 3 times, Yellowknife to Denver, CO as my Uncles health declined. First time in my 1987 YJ, second in my 1998 5.9 Grand, 3rd time in our 3.6R Legacy..... YJ vs Grand, same gas mileage. Subaru cut the gas costs in half and well.... we are still married. Then came the last trip, Revelstoke, BC to Denver in my TJR towing a cargo trailer. Least favourite trip was the Subaru but my wife was with me. Favourite drive was the YJ, 4500 miles in a week.... in a YJ..... in the winter. I had the YJ and the 5.9 Grand but picked the YJ with a carburetor and a clutch.
PS, most people might fly but I LOVE to drive.

There is not a new car for sale today that even interests me, Jeeps included.

Last edited:

TripLeader

Explorer
I took my old TJ on multi-day trips. Same with my current LJ. Youve just got to be satisfied literally being in the slow lane. And love the Jeep experience. Youve got to really want the Jeep at your final destination.

Eric_

The sound in a TJ hardtop isn't the real problem with long trips, it's the amount of space inside - there just isn't enough space for all the gear and luggage you might want to carry on a long trip, especially if you're not traveling alone. If the sound does bother you, a good headliner will lower the noise. My LJ now has 200,000 miles on it, a lot of that done on highways from upstate NY where I live to trails in Colorado, Utah, southern California and other places, including north to the Arctic Ocean in Alaska and it's a pleasure on the highway. My hardtop does have an insulated headliner so it's a bit quieter than a factory top, but even without that it would be fine on the highway.

Also I run Michelin LTX MS/2 in 265/75-16 tires; they've got a very quiet tread pattern - if you try a long drive in heavy, lugged off-road tires the noise will probably be unbearable. I've never been let down by the Michelins on the trail, and they're quiet and comfortable at 80 mph across the great expanses of prairie between home and the trails.

BTW when I had a soft top TJ the soft top was unbearable on the highway - I highly recommend a hardtop for very long drives.

DaltonArcticCircle_zpsd511c541.jpg
I agree, but you've got to be committed with the Jeep experience. Compared to any modern car/truck they are noisy, bouncy, inefficient and tiring. But, if you don't know any different or you really just love your Jeep you might not mind at all. Lots of folks think a JK or JL is noisy and rough. It's all perspective.

For me, a lifted TJ is probably going to lose out based on mpg's more than anything else crossing the country.
Mine sees 40K kms, 24K miles every year, it is the best, my favourite vehicle of all time. It is not a living room on wheels but it is pretty much bulletproof.

View attachment 724414
I should add that with a the Bestop Sailcloth soft top with the windows in the noise level is very close to a hard top. My new 03 Rubicon came with one and I was surprised how quiet it was compared the regular soft top on the Jeep it replaced.
Give me a freaking break..... I've had Mercs, Grands, Grand Prixs, Lincolns, those of us in love with Wranglers have had it all and like the Wrangler because it is the most versatile, the toughest, the most reliable, the easiest to fix...... and noisy, sure the roof is removable.... bouncy yes, the short manuverable wheelbase which gives fabulous mobility is not as smooth riding as a long box quad cab Sierra, inefficient... really I bought my latest TJR because the guys with the ultra miler eco thingy F150s told me they get the same mileage I do loaded.... the ultra efficient engines today only deliver that 25plus MPG empty, and rough.... definitely, solid axles might be bulletproof but they are heavy compared to all the flimsy independent front suspensions out there. Maintaining that Sierra will drain yer wallet and likely leave you broken long before anything with solid axles front and rear...

Then there is the Rubicon with factory lockers in both Dana 44 axles and the 4:1 RockBox Transfer Case. No one else has both of those as standard equipment. Jeep has been doing it for 20 years. Look at the specs, pick the best choice for where you want to go. I love my wifes Subarus, shes had 5, but I'll never take it where I love to drive/overland.

Really, ya think any pickup with an RTT will get better MPG than a Wrangler doing the same cross country?? You need more experience. Mine as pictured can deliver 17mpg. I know guys with pickups happy with 13mpg.

But I built my Square Drop so I could overland without doors yet have them when it snows. It is the ONLY North American vehicle with removable doors.

View attachment 724415
I took my old TJ on multi-day trips. Same with my current LJ. Youve just got to be satisfied literally being in the slow lane. And love the Jeep experience. Youve got to really want the Jeep at your final destination.
Jeep TJ’s are noisy, ride rough, gutless, hard on fuel, handle crappy and too small.

But don’t let that fool you, there are negatives too.

Haha, thanks everyone! I used to have a 2018 tacoma and had to sell it (some punk poured sugar in my fuel tank). Anyways, I didn’t feel like paying 50k+ on a new rig, so I’ve considered a TJ or 3rd Gen 4Runner. We do a lot of road trips with a lot of wheeling in Utah, colorado, Etc, and once a year rubicon trip with some friends. It’s only me and my GF, so we don’t need a ton of space.

billiebob

I’ve considered a TJ or 3rd Gen 4Runner.
All good choices, massive after market for any of them. Fuel economy will be virtually identical. Pick the best buy. Same year, same mileage, the TJ might be more expensive but so will resale when you sell.

billiebob

Jeep TJ’s too small.
Nope, I had an LJ for a few months, sold it because it was too big.

ps on the pickup vs TJ.... the TJ with a trailer is wayy more capable/versatile than any pickup.

Firewood
firewood.jpeg

Work
work.jpg

Camper/Overlander
camper.jpeg

Trail Maintnance
trail.jpeg

Last edited:

PCO6

Adventurer
@Eric_ - I sold my TJ a few months ago. It was a year round daily driver for 9 yrs. and saw a lot of miles. I bought it when I retired and I'm not exactly young. I've had an LJ for almost as long and will be keeping it for the same kind of use, plus it's one of my tow vehicles (small campers). I enjoy/ed driving both of them off road and in the snow. I've taken both on day long drives and always found them enjoyable. Neither beat me up.

I used to do the annual top swap. I liked driving the TJ with the soft top up, down, widows off, etc. but not so much with the LJ. It's probably more that I like the look of an LJ with a hard top and it's definitely more practical. I leave the LJ top on year round and find that driving with half doors gives me enough of an open air feeling.

Some may say that TJs are "bad" (I don't) but you'll never know until you experience it yourself.

Last edited:

View attachment 724415

On the long distance drive thing, we drove 3 times, Yellowknife to Denver, CO as my Uncles health declined. First time in my 1987 YJ, second in my 1998 5.9 Grand, 3rd time in our 3.6R Legacy..... YJ vs Grand, same gas mileage. Subaru cut the gas costs in half and well.... we are still married. Then came the last trip, Revelstoke, BC to Denver in my TJR towing a cargo trailer. Least favourite trip was the Subaru but my wife was with me. Favourite drive was the YJ, 4500 miles in a week.... in a YJ..... in the winter. I had the YJ and the 5.9 Grand but picked the YJ with a carburetor and a clutch.
PS, most people might fly but I LOVE to drive.

There is not a new car for sale today that even interests me, Jeeps included.
I used to drive my old cj7 on longish. Trips. Like San Diego to Tahoe loaded with gear I loved it then. But I was 22 what did I know. MYbe now I know too much

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94