to air is human...

BCJC

Adventurer
well folks, i got my mv50 compressor and am quite stoked with it! just looking for some advice on airing down. i've never gone down below 8 psi lower than street pressure (30) because i've always had to drive to a gas station to air up. i have 33x10.50x15 bfg at's, on a 6.5" wide rim. i know the rim is a little skinny, so if you could take that into account in your responses that would be great!
cheers
jackson

datrupr

Expedition Leader
Depending on the terrain you are going to be travelling over, I would say you will have no problems running between 15-20lbs, and probably even lower.

mountainpete

Spamicus Eliminatus
BCJC said:
well folks, i got my mv50 compressor and am quite stoked with it! just looking for some advice on airing down. i've never gone down below 8 psi lower than street pressure (30) because i've always had to drive to a gas station to air up. i have 33x10.50x15 bfg at's, on a 6.5" wide rim. i know the rim is a little skinny, so if you could take that into account in your responses that would be great!
cheers
jackson

Did you get an MV50 somewhere in Canada? Or did you order it from the US?

durango_60

Explorer
I've got 33X10.50 BFG MT's on 6" rims and have gone down to 9-10 psi many times with no problem. You'll be amazed at the traction difference!

BCJC

Adventurer
thanks!
durango_60, what type of vehicle are you running?
mountainpete, it was a gong show trying to get one in canada, there is a distributor in vancouver, but he wouldn't return my phone calls, so i bit the bullet and ordered one from the states.

i suppose different terrain requires different pressure, ie sand/mud/snow/rocks etc. i'll be experimenting with it this weekend no doubt! appreciate the input, this site rocks!

Willman

This is my two cents.....

I would not go below 12 psi...or you might blow a bead...

:ylsmoke:

what willman said. the narrow rim will help grip the bead--i run a 12.5" wide on 8" rim for that reason--but under 12 you risk losing it.

different tires flex their sidewall at different points...dont air down as much if you see that your tire is flexing near the rim. a quality tire intended to serve offroad will flex the sidewall closer to the tread, using the side lugs properly and minimizing the heat buildup and wear in the sidewall. when you're airing down, see if the tire balloons as it loses pressure, or puddles near the tread. i cant think of a better way to describe it, it really does look that way--either it looks like a balloon would if you pressed it against a hard surface, squishing out in the middle, or it looks more like a very viscous fluid being poured on a flat surface.

your air-down pressure really depends on how much rubber you have between rim and road, and how much your vehicle weighs, but 15# is a good all-around number for most situations. i've run trails aired down to 25#, but had a lot of weight in the bed at the time...cold the tire was at 40#.

-sean

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior