To pintle or not to pintle?

sonarman

I put Amsoil 5th wheel grease on lunette and it tone down the banging of the hitch by 80 percent.1643434877177.jpeg1643434877177.jpeg

Last edited:

NMBruce

Adventurer

Attachments

• B7BA6C30-F04C-43CD-96B4-4DDA9B98DC93.png
    B7BA6C30-F04C-43CD-96B4-4DDA9B98DC93.png
    872.8 KB · Views: 22
  • 8C3621AC-092B-4B51-AA24-27AE013B38F9.png
    8C3621AC-092B-4B51-AA24-27AE013B38F9.png
    998.8 KB · Views: 22

tx-jeremy

Wow how this is being over analyzed is funny. The noise is not real , the advantage is real . People want the expensive "cool overland look" .
With a pintle, I can hitch up at a 90 degree angle . Try that with a boutique hitch .

This right here is the wisdom I was seeking. Going pintle lunette.

Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mep1811

Gentleman Adventurer
This right here is the wisdom I was seeking. Going pintle lunette.

Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Be sure you get a rotating pintle or the lunette ring will only be able to go up and down and not ride independent of the vehicle

rnArmy

Adventurer
Just got an update today (31 Jan) from UPS for my rotating pintle hitch from GB... expected delivery 3 Feb. If correct, that is quick!

But even a non-rotating pintle hitch will allow full swing left to right, full up and down, and a good bit of twisting (as much as the slop between the lunette ring and pintle jaws will allow). I've done crazy stuff with my trailer and as far as I know have never exceeded its twisting limits with the fixed pintle hitch.

Last edited:

tx-jeremy

Be sure you get a rotating pintle or the lunette ring will only be able to go up and down and not ride independent of the vehicle

I somehow missed this message before.

The lunette itself can rotate in the trailer "housing". The pintle doesn't need to rotate if this is the case, right?

rnArmy

Adventurer
I somehow missed this message before.

The lunette itself can rotate in the trailer "housing". The pintle doesn't need to rotate if this is the case, right?
Yes. If one of them can rotate (pintle or lunette ring) , you now have a 360 degree multi axis hitch. Uncle Sam had it figured out in WWII.

Currently neither of mine rotate and I still have plenty of twisting ability (just not 360 like you'll have).

Last edited:

rnArmy

Adventurer
Yeah; they had it figured out back then. Rotating front lunette ring so the trailer and jeep could go over any type of uneven terrain; no tailgate so it was watertight (could even float). A base of 40" x 72", built in hand brake, and just built solid. A lot of these are still on the road. And I believe some of the trailer hub parts and springs were interchangeable with the WWII jeeps. Both M-100 (round fenders) and M-416 (later model with angled fenders) trailers shown.

WWII Trailer-Front_View.jpg

trailer specs.png

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles