To test or not to test, THAT is the question!

DaktariEd

2005, 2006 Tech Course Champion: Expedition Trophy
I grew up with the advice NOT to test a fire extinguisher by activating it.

The rationale being that activating it could potentially damage a seal, the propellant would leak out, thus leaving you with a useless fire extinguisher when you really needed it.
:1888fbbd:

So…has anyone heard this?
Is it true or false?
Should you actually activate a fire extinguisher to test it?
Do you?

Inquiring minds want to know!
:campfire:
Ed

HenryJ

Expedition Leader
Do not "test it". The powder can remain on the valve surface and prevent sealing.
Inspect the gauge for the proper pressure (in the green) at least monthly. Invert it and give it a few taps with a deadblow hammer, or rubber mallet to dislodge the chemical powder and make sure it is loose inside.
Annual inspections by a service are a good idea. I believe that hydro testing is done every five years?

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
Even in the military, where we maintain everything so much that our motto was "if it isn't broken, fix it until it is", we did not test them by discharging them. The monthly maintenance was simply a visual inspection for rust, dents or other damage, check the guage, remove the discharge hose and check the o-ring integrity, then put it back in it's fixture and make sure the clamp is adjusted properly. Any time a FEXT was discharged, in any amount, we would pull it from service and send it out to be re-charged. Primarily we used CO2 and Halon 1211 in the portables (and halon 1301 (?) in the fixed bottles), so no worries about powder caking on the bottom of the bottle.

Willman

DaktariEd said:
I grew up with the advice NOT to test a fire extinguisher by activating it.

The rationale being that activating it could potentially damage a seal, the propellant would leak out, thus leaving you with a useless fire extinguisher when you really needed it.
:1888fbbd:

So…has anyone heard this?
Is it true or false?
Should you actually activate a fire extinguisher to test it?
Do you?

Inquiring minds want to know!
:campfire:
Ed

Great question!!

On the construction site...we are always putting out iron workers fires!!! It is a kick in the pants to pull the pin and and let her go!!!

Most fire extinguisher are rechargeable....In your case...I would not touch it....You are going to do no harm to the extinguisher but let the pressure out...All you need to do is to see if the pressure is in the green....It is also a great idea to own two like flyingwil got in the back of his rig just in case you got a bad one or you are planning to take out a forest fire.

Scott Brady

Founder
HenryJ said:
Do not "test it". The powder can remain on the valve surface and prevent sealing.
Inspect the gauge for the proper pressure (in the green) at least monthly. Invert it and give it a few taps with a deadblow hammer, or rubber mallet to dislodge the chemical powder and make sure it is loose inside.
Annual inspections by a service are a good idea. I believe that hydro testing is done every five years?

Perfect answer.

I was a fireman for many years in Idaho, and that is the typical procedure.

DaktariEd

2005, 2006 Tech Course Champion: Expedition Trophy
Excellent...thanks!

Tonight I was beefing up the clamps that hold my two extinguishers in the Cruiser when this question occurred to me.

I knew about the gauge of course, but I didn't know about the rap on the bottom.

I'll add that to my procedure and do that tomorrow after work!

See you Saturday...

Ed

asteffes

Explorer
You could always have it emptied, re-filled and recharged by a professional if you're in doubt. I've read this is a good thing to do every ten years or so.

i know im resurrecting old threads again, but i did have something to add...

i'd never heard that story about not testing fire extinguishers because it would break a seal or whatever.

...so...having bought a fire extinguisher for the truck and in a buy1-get1 deal a unit for the kitchen, i figured i would give the one for the kitchen a shot. thing worked great, spewed white powder about 15-20 feet in a pretty small cone. it was only a fraction of a second that i had the level depressed--plenty of powder and pressure left.

went back later (like months) since i and the roommates were all moving out, checked the extinguisher, it was heavy with powder but ZERO pressure.

i suspect the one-shot deals have a seal that's broken when used, since the intent is youll use the entire canister all at once.

dunno about the refillable variety...but if you use it, since its very hard to gauge how much is left (just like a co2 tank for the tires), its best to empty it all at once and get it recharged than hope theres some left and end up wishing youd refilled it proper.

-sean

HenryJ

Expedition Leader
expeditionswest said:
...I was a fireman for many years in Idaho, and that is the typical procedure.
Fifteen years Oregon State Hazmat, ten years part time firefighter, five years EMT.
Not an expert on fire extinguishers, but get to play with them from time to time :ylsmoke:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles