To the Arctic Ocean - need help planning

Hi, I am a long time land cruiser owner, and a recent G owner. I am planning on traveling to james bay and maybe beyond to the polar bear territory. Photography and an escape with my daughter being the main goals. I was thinking about buying a trailer, horizon, chaser, or Sherpa (land cruiser thought process) to pull, keep the vehicle light and be able to carry extra fuel supplies etc. Then I found out, after buying the truck, I might add, that no OEM trailer hitch, and because it is still new I have, for now, decided against the Renntech weldable aftermarket solution.

So my thought porcess moved back to a rack, load the truck up and go. I do have two dogs and cannot store a lot in the truck. They are definitely going.

However, when I spoke with Vlad (four by four club) today, he was adamant that there is nothing more stupid than storing fuel on the outside and loading the rack. I have bought a few things from him and he seems as knowledgeable as any.

So is Karl, knowledgeable, I mean. I saw his pics, a roof rack but empty and everything loaded onto a trailer. So he reinforced the thought process propagated by Vlad.

So here is the 64,000,000 dollar question, should I get the hitch welded? Is that the only reasonable option? And is Vlad right, that the rack, loaded up, looks cool but is the worst idea ever?

Thoughts, criticisms, attacks, ridiculous statements, all welcome.

Thanks.

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
What bolt holes and factory mounts are available on the rear frame section? Building a receiver hitch or a bumper with a hitch cannot be impossible.

I would agree that roof racks, and the weight you can carry on them is not the best idea. Personally I think that it effect vehicle dynamics and stability too much.

haven

Expedition Leader
Welcome to ExPo, Akhindaria!

Are you thinking about driving to the east of James Bay (to Radisson, Quebec on the James Bay Road)? Or on the west side, in Manitoba (perhaps to Gillam, Manitoba)? I believe there still is no road to Churchill, Manitoba, just a train track.

Chip Haven

zimm

Expedition Leader
with two dogs.. i would definitely have to have a trailer. id work backward on what you need to do from there. (weld) if the fuel tank is a problem for a hitch, maybe an older or custom tank.

Payback

Imperial Pilot
What's holding you back from getting the hitch welded on? Have you thought about just getting a receiver hitch put on, that way you can remove the ball whenever it's not needed?

Fernweh

Supporting Sponsor
Adi,

I just had a good look at another G550 - there is none of the trailer hitch attachment points existing - we have on our earlier G-500's to install the OEM MB hitch.
I would explore the Renntech version a bit further, but it is real pricey. Not even sure if your G550 has the wiring provision for the trailer hidden behind the CD changer in the left rear.

The tow pin bumper would work at the front for the removable winch carrier as all the mountings look identical to the G-500.

Why not get the hitch mounted?

Thanks for brainstorming.

The reason for not looking at the hitch was because I was told that MB would not honor the warranty with the modifications. True?

I requested renntech to email the installation instructions. Welding will modify the frame, and per MB, a no go from a warranty perspective.

I can post these instructions here if everyone would like to see it?

Instructions from Renntech

Here are the instructions.

Very helpful and responsive sales people.

Anyone else with 2009 and 2010 G's with the same need?

Attachments

• Slide1.jpg
    Slide1.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 30
  • Slide2.jpg
    Slide2.jpg
    107.9 KB · Views: 36
  • Slide3.jpg
    Slide3.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 22
  • Slide6.jpg
    Slide6.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 17
  • Slide5.jpg
    Slide5.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 20
  • Slide4.jpg
    Slide4.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 15
  • Slide7.jpg
    Slide7.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 29

zimm

Expedition Leader
Thanks for brainstorming.

The reason for not looking at the hitch was because I was told that MB would not honor the warranty with the modifications. True?

I requested renntech to email the installation instructions. Welding will modify the frame, and per MB, a no go from a warranty perspective.

I can post these instructions here if everyone would like to see it?

they will void the entire warranty for a rear frame modification b/c they make an suv w/o a hitch?

if i ever go to replace mine, ill know what years to avoid.

go buy a used landcruiser, use it and sell it when youre done. much easier than all this crap.

Zimm :))

Thank you. I do have a land Cruiser with a hitch, I have had it for 10 years, I bought it new and it has 313,987 miles, drives great still, very reliable. Will never sell it. Will drive it past a 1,000,000.

Just wanted to start using the Damn G now.

Should I care about the MB warranty?

Here are some pics that you might enjoy from my trip to New Mexico .....

Attachments

• IMG_356120061227.jpg
    IMG_356120061227.jpg
    289.3 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_334920061225.jpg
    IMG_334920061225.jpg
    364.7 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_350820061227.jpg
    IMG_350820061227.jpg
    510.5 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_356720061227.jpg
    IMG_356720061227.jpg
    317.5 KB · Views: 17

otiswesty

Regular guy
Warranty, schmarranty. Just put the hitch on and since the warranty is affected, its also a good time to put on a set of 33" tires. I used a 275/70/18 General Grabber AT2. You will not regret it unless you want to sell the car in the next couple years with the warranty for added value

Payback

Imperial Pilot
Technically, manufactures can't void your warranty unless they can prove the modification you performed was the cause of the breakage. Or it specifically says it will void the warranty.

I believe this law came out sometime in the past 10-ish years because car manufactures were scamming consumers, like not replacing transmissions because the owner installed an aftermarket radio. Crap like that. I would suggest calling a dealer. You can expect a conservative answer from then, cause they're the one that will have to do the work!

Bill Beers

Explorer
Technically, manufactures can't void your warranty unless they can prove the modification you performed was the cause of the breakage. Or it specifically says it will void the warranty.

I believe this law came out sometime in the past 10-ish years because car manufactures were scamming consumers, like not replacing transmissions because the owner installed an aftermarket radio. Crap like that. I would suggest calling a dealer. You can expect a conservative answer from then, cause they're the one that will have to do the work!

Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act

Thanks Bill, Pepe, Otiswesty,

Mind made up, I will get the hitch put in. Will call the local MB dealer and get them to do the work.

Interesting read about the warranty act. Especially, the statement about after market parts. Then, how does Apple justify canceling the warranty if one jail breaks the iPhone? Isn't the new OS an aftermarket part?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles