Toasty's '98 Montero Build

Toasty

Looking for that thing i just had in my hand...
I picked up a 1998 Base Model last Saturday, no sunroof, cloth seats and white single stage paint. A few dents but in otherwise good condition except the engine which is badly seized. The plan is for a more street friendly machine that still knows how to party off-road.

PA_JERO and I tried to free up the engine with no luck, i may dig into it a bit and try again just so i can easily move or drive it while collecting parts.

Sunday the new engine donor was delivered, it's a 2000 SC400 VVT-i with an Aisin A650 5 speed auto. This will be the new drivetrain, with a couple modifications the V8 should pump out about 300hp and the new first gear is 3.357:1 (original is 2.80:1). The 4.0 V8 is a couple hundred lbs lighter than the 3.5 V6 coming out so it should make up for the ARB bullbar to be installed.

The ARB 3434040 came on Wednesday, I installed it to save space but it's coming back off for some modifications and color matched silver powder coating.

That's it for now, plans are to rebuild all suspension, King Shocks, 32" KO2's on some 17's, aluminum skid plates, sound deadening everything, Shin Etsu, nice Stereo and polish. Simple.

brad2274

Adventurer
ooo now you got me thinking, my buddy has the same engine swapped in his mkIII supra. will you keep both ECUs and make them play nice together since both obd2?

Salonika

Monterror Pilot
More info please on getting that v8 to fit in there! Have a camera and tripod handy, make it into a how-to!

AZPAJERO

Observer
Common Toasty phrases:
"oh shoot I forgot my camera"

"oh shoot I remembered my camera but didn't take pictures"

".......well I WANTED to take pics but...."

Me: dude take pics
Toasty: OK!!
Me: hey did you take pics last weekend
Toasty: Oh Crap!

Toasty

How's the ARB and KO2's going to help on the street? :ROFLMAO:

My street build is more offroady than most off-road builds just like my off-road build is more everything than anything. I'm actually copying your truck because i liked it so much and i planned on your help with the inside without actually discussing it with you...

That interesting that the v8 is that much lighter, how difficult of a swap will it be?

It's all aluminum and sorta difficult but not the most difficult.

ooo now you got me thinking, my buddy has the same engine swapped in his mkIII supra. will you keep both ECUs and make them play nice together since both obd2?

Montero ECU and TCU goes away, Toyota ECU is also the TCU. The Toyota engine and transmission harness will be fully integrated into the Montero harness -minus the Montero engine management. The OBD-2 is the Toyota OBD-2 so as far as the truck is concerned it came with a V8. The tachometer is getting the basic Dakota signal converter, the V8 puts out 4 cylinder tach signal so it's a little weird at the gauge end and requires an interface. The tricky part is converting the A650 transmission to Superselect 4WD but i got a hook up for the machine work now.

Toasty

I totally intend on documenting the swap, at the very minimum I'll draw up a wiring diagram and parts list.

So, quick sidebar. The Sunday that i bought the 1UZ, i actually bought a non VVT-i car first. The reason being is that those cars share a 4 speed with the Montero so the swap sorta locates itself. You swap the front pump assembly and bellhousing from the 2WD A340 onto the Montero AW3 and Bob's your uncle the 1UZ bolts up then it's ECU takes over TCU duties in the Montero.

AND THEN! A dude contacted me to inform me that he has a CNC program to make an A650 to Superselect adapter. This was the missing link to putting the VVT-i engine and Aisin 5 speed into the Montero. So i immediately secured a VVT-i 1UZ and A650, the only downside is that you can't run the Jeep T-cases meaning no 4:1 and no Atlas. The first gear and Mark's 3.15 T case is almost as good as the 4 speed and 4:1 but you're limited if you go all nutty like PA_JERO and I. The 5 speed will work better for my street service Montero so here we are.

NOW i have 2 V8's, so i text PA_JERO and tell him that I just got him a rear sump 1UZ and A340. SOLD! Now he has one too, ha ha ha!

dos531

That swap sounds way too easy...

I totally intend on documenting the swap, at the very minimum I'll draw up a wiring diagram and parts list.

So, quick sidebar. The Sunday that i bought the 1UZ, i actually bought a non VVT-i car first. The reason being is that those cars share a 4 speed with the Montero so the swap sorta locates itself. You swap the front pump assembly and bellhousing from the 2WD A340 onto the Montero AW3 and Bob's your uncle the 1UZ bolts up then it's ECU takes over TCU duties in the Montero.

AND THEN! A dude contacted me to inform me that he has a CNC program to make an A650 to Superselect adapter. This was the missing link to putting the VVT-i engine and Aisin 5 speed into the Montero. So i immediately secured a VVT-i 1UZ and A650, the only downside is that you can't run the Jeep T-cases meaning no 4:1 and no Atlas. The first gear and Mark's 3.15 T case is almost as good as the 4 speed and 4:1 but you're limited if you go all nutty like PA_JERO and I. The 5 speed will work better for my street service Montero so here we are.

NOW i have 2 V8's, so i text PA_JERO and tell him that I just got him a rear sump 1UZ and A340. SOLD! Now he has one too, ha ha ha!

evomaki

Observer
This is very impressive stuff Toasty. Kalieracer's comment cracks me up. I would have thought what he's doing is pretty cool, except now it's not. I still do not understand how that v8 fits. I measured a 1UZ-FE a while back (roughly in vehicle with a tape measure) and it's just about 4" longer fore-aft. That Monty engine bay is tight as it is. How?

Toasty

I agree with Shovel, cool stuff is cool stuff. As for the engine fitting, we'll see.

Swank Force One

Adventurer
Adam, besides potentially more expensive donors, what would the A750F get you? Any additional hurdles, or would it make anything easier?

Toasty

Adam, besides potentially more expensive donors, what would the A750F get you? Any additional hurdles, or would it make anything easier?

Because the Toyota TCU is integrated into the engine management it makes it super hard to run behind the 1UZ. Essentially you'd want to swap the 4.7 to run the A750, so you'd then have a less powerful heavier engine BUT that engine/trans is the truck drivetrain so you have better T-case options and it's likely stronger. I know there are transmission controllers and transmission simulators so you could trick the 1UZ into thinking is has an A650 then run the A750 on a controller or manually but that's a heap of work.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles