Toilet paper. RV type or regular?

BlackdogGS

Observer
What is the proper TP to use while in a camping trailer? Regular, RV/marine type or the household stuff. 1 ply or 2? Were setting up our new RV, set a newbie straight

krick3tt

Adventurer
I think that most TP is biodegradable but perhaps the test is what feels good on your bottom. When I lived in my RV I used regular store bought paper, although paper from an RV store would surely be 'proper' for disposal.

ottsville

Observer
Whether TP is biodegradable or not is not the issue; your concern here is clogs when you drain the tank. Ideally your TP would brake down with some agitation like your tank will get while you are driving but in reality many RV users don't travel with stuff in their black tanks - they drive to the campground, camp, then dump tanks before driving home. Use plenty of water and what kind of TP you use doesn't matter that much.

My personal experience is that Charmin ultra works fine. Also special potty chemicals are unnecessary. For a weekend you can get by with no chemicals and for longer I just use a bit of all purpose cleaner like pine sol.

tatanka48

been "camping" in RV's for many years and concluded LONG AGO that TP doesn't go down the drain EVER

HUMAN WASTE ONLY!!!

the stuff hangs up on things like joints in the down tube going into the tank(nuisance) and the little sensors (nuisance) that many folks depend on to know when to dump and it gets hung up in the guillotine dump valve (serious PITA to remove so the valve can close) :-O

very few folks will goto the trouble of dragging a hose into the RV to FLUSH the tank each time by topping it off w/ fresh water and dumping w/ fresh water running into the tank during the process

nowadayz some(not a lot) RV's have flushing ports above the system for this purpose butt only rarely do i ever witness anyone using them

over the years(beginning back in the 1960's) we have kept a trash basket along side the toilet where ALL non human waste is deposited

today that basket is solid (not woven) plastic and is lined with a grocery store plastic bag which gets removed for proper disposaL as needed/when full

seldom is there any odor associated w/ this method of sanitation and the issues w/ TP in the holding tanks are nil

T

GHI

Adventurer
I only have about 7 yrs of experience owning an RV toilet. In that time I’ve always used the same stuff as we use at our house. 2 ply whatever.

There haven’t been any issues. I do have the luxury of a dump station at my house. So yea I’m the guy that drags a hose inside and tops off the black tank before I let it all out. That’s the key. Fill it up. Don’t dump anything less than a full tank.

I did the waste basket TP thing in South America for a few weeks while not in a trailer/RV. It was disgusting to say the least while not going into details.

tanuki.himself

Thin stuff if its going in the tank, normal if you are putting in a separate bin - which can always empty onto the camp fire.

if you do put paper in the tank, as others have said fill and flush it regularly. We also periodically filled the black tank with ice cubes just before a long drive - the lumps work with the agitation to scour the sides of the tank a bit more than just water....

BritKLR

Kapitis Indagatoris
Regular paper. Lots of water. Leave black tank semi full when traveling to agitate and breakdown the solids. Flush with lots of water. Repeat. You'll be fine. Enjoy your travels!

jus passin thru

Adventurer
When I was RVing with a group, we were sitting around with a variety of tp and some small jars. One square, some jars and some water and a dozen shakes. Costco was the winner some of the quilted ones remained unaffected. Driving around really does take care of everything. A better diet will help with the need for yards of tp. M

NevetsG

Technically, to be sold in the US all TP must be septic tank friendly and biodegradable. Question is, how long will it take to break down? The agitation an RV does with a partially filled tank speeds this up drastically, so don't get sucked into the "RV safe" paper, because it is just a bunch of crap.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier