Tom Sheppard and his G-Wagen

Wander

Expedition Leader
Thanks for getting closer to the G for us. I really enjoyed the excerpt in OJ but wanted to see/read more about the G- this is great.

What is that sub-compact tucked in behind the G??

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
Agreed, but is that excellent, simple model still available over there too? I got the impression from something I read (from Sheppard?) that it is not ☹

....snip..

Gosh wouldn't it be nice to be able to "stock" hardware like Toms G-Wagon here in the US. Just not fair DANG IT!

Would it be incorrect to assume that this G has no lift, and stock sized tires?

It certainly is one beautifully Gilded Lily.

You could order any of the suspension strenght rating when doing the specs for the G-wagen. They come in different colour codes, that will lift your truck accordingly and / or allow for higher payload.
The wheels on that truck are modified slightly.

Was the alternator a stock Bosch unit that had an air intake manifold, or was it a modification that Tom made.

Geländewagen had a snorkel on their alternator since the first ones in 1979.
But I suspect that the newer "less-offroad" models are missing that.

I have an 1995 non-turbo G290D also in the W461 version, the only real modifications it needs for long distance travels, is the protection plate for the diesel tank (original Mercedes sparepart) and possible better light in the spedometer. When it's dark, it is really hard to see how fast you're driving.

Harald Hansen

Explorer
As I understand it the W461 chassis is only available for fleet orders these days. Mr. Sheppard was able to swing a deal with MB. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

modificata

Hi im new to the forum, and a long time onwer and fan. I've currently got a 2004 G270 CDi.

I recently read Quiet for a Tuesday, and was really impressed with Tom and his book. I went on to buy Vehicle-dependant Expedition Guide and the 4x4 Guide and I have been again hugely impressed. In fact I would say for anyone planning an expedition VDEG is a must read. For me it has become the key reference point for what I need to do.

Does Tom use this site also? I would love to meet up with him to get some hints and tips for my trip next year.

Scott Brady

Founder
As I understand it the W461 chassis is only available for fleet orders these days. Mr. Sheppard was able to swing a deal with MB. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Based on his description of the acquisition, he was able to custom order the MB through a dealer in Germany. This would have been 2001 though, so it is likely that things have changed.

Wander

Expedition Leader
Based on his description of the acquisition, he was able to custom order the MB through a dealer in Germany. This would have been 2001 though, so it is likely that things have changed.

If I recall correctly from the feature in OJ; he ordered it through a dealer in Munich, in person and had some trouble getting the order through. The truck is so specific it didn't "exsist" in the MB ordering system so he and the dealer had to contact the factory directly to get everything correct.

Mike Serpe

Observer
Ordering

Yes, depending on where in Europe you are, as the countries differ in model variations offered, or offered as customizable...it is doable.

There is also the chassis/cab which is the same length as Tom's Kastenwagen
see photo....

great post nice to see you guys all together there!

and a white 850GS, I don't think they offer that color here, I like it....beats yellow (IMHO)

ciao

Mike

Attachments

• truck body.jpg
    truck body.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 138

Indiana Drew

Observer
Could one of you "Euro-folks" get me a Bosch part numer for the sealed alternators?

Thanks in advance!

As far as I know form the question of "alternator snorkels" arising on several forums, there is no "water proof" or sealed alternator setup. The alternator snorkel is for getting cool air down to the alternator. The snorkel directs air to the back of the alternator. The front is open ...

get-attachment.php

get-attachment.php

Schuhe

Tom Shepperd

It is really great to see that Tom Shepperd is doing well. I hope we hear of more contributions and trips in the future. Anyone know if he visits here or on other Gwagen forums? Have have had exchanges with him when buying copies of some of his books - always a delightful soul.

Tom

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
Oh so perfect.....

Minimalist, thought out, simple, clean, not really complicated....love it!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94