Tom Sheppard and his G-Wagen

Nigel Caffiene

Gentleman Scholar
Wow, what an honour to have met and spent an afternoon with Mr. Sheppard. His G-Wagen strikes my heart with its classic minimalist functionality. :drool:

I did not know that Palin was president of RGS! I have been watching him since Monty Python's Flying Circus. He seems perfect for the job. It was becuase of Palin, I encountered Sheppard actually.

Being a historian, :ylsmoke: I have a slight obession over desert warfare in North Africa. Particularly, the Long Range Desert Group and how this truely unique combat unit came to being. Which incidently, kindled my love and interest in overlanding and the Sahara. One of my life unrealistic goals is to drive my Jeep across the Sahara. :smiley_drive:

So anyways, there I was watching Palin trek across the Sahara with a camel caravan, when he encountered the white G-Wagen and the legendary man himself. It was awe-inspiring to say the least :Wow1: That is how I came to know of Tom Sheppard. Since then, I have been reading everything he has ever published. He is an inspiration and definitely my role model (besides you Scott, Hanson, and a few others...):coffeedrink:

Thanks for sharing! Cheers!

stevegsmith

Observer
Scott,
Did you happen to see what Tom was using for holding his rear door open? In his books that include a couple shots of his G, you can see, with the rear door open, a rod that extends from the upper corner of the jamb to the corresponding corner of the door. I'm assuming he came up with it. Just curious to know what the attachment hardware looks like and where the rod is from.
steve

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
:drool: what an amazing truck... I LOVE the little details like the fuel filler (simple yet SO important and effective/usefull) and the placement of everything low and centered. it's inspired me to move alot of stuff to right behind the front seats (don't have back seats currently) on my 1st Gen 4Runner like my Tools and Jerry cans etc. Honestly I can feel the difference in the way the truck carry's the load.

Anywho, I LOVE THIS TRUCK!!!!!!!! It's SO beautiful.

Cheers

DAve

stevegsmith

Observer
I didn't see it mentioned any where on the forum, but Michael Palin actually ran into Tom out in the middle of the Sahara in Algeria during the shooting of his Sahara series. Palin interviews him a bit during the show. Palin crosses the Sahara twice during the series. A great film to check out. You can watch it on Netflix instant streaming.

David

Thanks for the tip on the Palin show. I netflixed the series and just finished the first two episodes. Very cool. Even got the wife interested. :)

pkbyrne

Tom Sheppard's 290 GDT is for sale

Tom was hoping to travel to Algeria again last November, but wasn't able to get a visa. I understand from him that his visa request was refused without explanation. Given that, he has decided to sell his 1999 white 290 GDT, the iconic vehicle pictured earlier in this thread and in his recent books.

There is an additional .pdf attachement with photo' at http://www.gwoa.co.uk/forum/tom-sheppards-290-gdt-sale

Best regards,

Rick

Attachments

• 290GDT.inventory.inc.inverter.doc
    31.5 KB · Views: 84

raicar

Attachments

• G 290 Turbodiesel BM 4 delivery-van desert tan.jpg
    G 290 Turbodiesel BM 4 delivery-van desert tan.jpg
    165 KB · Views: 58

Outback

Explorer
Wow...
living legend.
It is so much easier when you are solo..clean and simple. Everything changes when you add a wife, kids, or friends.

Mr Sheppard walks the walks that is for sure.

Yes everything changes when you add the wife and kids. Thanks Scott. Mr Sheppard is on my top 5 list of true adventurers.

roberto

Adventurer
So does anyone know the MFG of the air roof snorkel thingy and where I can get one identical to it?

Thanks
Rob

Scott Brady

Founder
Hey Roberto,

I know we covered this in the Summer 2009 issue of Overland Journal. I can grab that issue tomorrow and see if the manufacture was mentioned.

roberto

Adventurer
Thanks Scott, I have that and all editions of overland but it does not mention. I tried an extensive search online an no luck with the MFG. if anyone finds it please let me know so I can begin my search for one

Thanks
Rob

Omar Brannstrom

Adventurer
Hi

You can se Tom Sheppard here 3.30min in the movie. I think that with al his knowledge about 4x4 end expeditions and he choosed a 2 door Jeep Wrangler as his next expedition vehicle is a great verdict for Wrangler :victory: Little bit kidding, probably had a lot of to due to money, but anyway:wings:

Intresting, no new bumpers, no lift, no bigger tires, no roof rack, no winsch

Or You can se it here Sahara with Micheal Palin, Dire straits 4 Final https://www.youtube.com/user/InuyashaKnight/videos

It seemes that Tom aint for Roofracks

Little OP, but one from Mongol Rally dont really like 4x4 and speciely if they have a roofrack

Intresting read, he says for the Mongol Rally, 4x4s Are Actually Rubbish, better to go with a Nissan Micra.

http://www.theadventurists.com/the-jibber/2014/9/14/4x4s-are-actually-rubbish

Actually Suzuki Jimny lacks ESP and failed the moose test. Jimny 2015 years model will have ESP and Traction control

Last edited:

Omar Brannstrom

Adventurer
Hi

Aint it possible unsafe to store so much fuel inside the vehicle that Tom do. Probably even worse if it was Petrol that have in my Wrangler. Maybe it comes a sparkle from charging something from the 12v outlet

"Fuel in jerry cans is maybe one of the heavier items that allow no choice but to mount on the roof rack, as flammable liquids must not store in a confined spaces for safety reasons"

From http://www.4-wheeling-in-western-australia.com/car-top-luggage-carrier.html

It is also possible to bring fuel on some tire carrier but not so much like Tom sometimes has like 8 fuel cans. Maybe it would not be safe if You will be hit in the rear from another vehicle.

It aint easy to safely carry extra fuel

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94