tongue extention on M416

Mayne

Explorer
I'm contemplating lengthening the tongue on my M416.
Any advice on how far out I should consider?

Mayne

Desertdude

Expedition Leader
I extended the tongue on my M101 about 42" from the front tub - plus the added LockNRoll hitch and receiver gave it another 10-12" - this really helped in backing up and over all maneuverability

It also gave me another place to bolt on a small box

Mayne

Explorer
Desertdude said:
I extended the tongue on my M101 about 42" from the front tub - plus the added LockNRoll hitch and receiver gave it another 10-12" - this really helped in backing up and over all maneuverability

It also gave me another place to bolt on a small box

Great, I will look into that! Did you replace the entire tongue this way or did you do some sort of graft?

Mayne

Desertdude

Expedition Leader
I removed the complete Pintle which left me the two angle metal which came to a point I was able to weld in a piece of 1/4" steel down from the tub - then slip in between the angle steel the piece of square stock that also became the receiver for the LocknRoll - I then added a pieces of 3/16"" steel on the top of the union at the end point. there I made a jack mount, safety chains, and hitch connection.

Photo of the hitch

Some photos in this thread

Mayne

Explorer
Thanks, I really like the lid idea too, althought the 416 is a slight bit different in construction. I'll take a closer look at the tonue photo when I get home later.

Mayne

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles