Tongue setup dilema

wandererr

Adventurer
So here's thd deal. I mainly tow with the JK which had a complication of a swinging gate. Granted it is only complication because I want to have access to the back of the jeep when I tow.

Anyways, with the gas tank in center I had to turn the jeep a bit to have a wider access so I was fairly good to go.

Now I picked up a cheap box that I want to put on the tongue (see pics below). Problem I am having is that the handle for the jack hits the box..... I'm thinking about shortening the handle arm..... Thoughts?

Any other thoughts or comments? With this setup I will be able to keep up front one jerry can, one full propane tank and one small backup and have a box for accessories.

r14XRew.jpg

TCMFhGx.jpg

NatersXJ6

Explorer
You appear to have plenty of room. Move the box to the propane location, the propane in front of the box, and turn the Jerry can. Or swap the Jerry can and propane positions.

rnArmy

Adventurer
Can you mount the box against the tub centered, and then mount the jerry can on one side of the tongue box, and the propane tank on the other side of the tongue box?

Matt.H

Adventurer
So here's thd deal. I mainly tow with the JK which had a complication of a swinging gate. Granted it is only complication because I want to have access to the back of the jeep when I tow.

Anyways, with the gas tank in center I had to turn the jeep a bit to have a wider access so I was fairly good to go.

Now I picked up a cheap box that I want to put on the tongue (see pics below). Problem I am having is that the handle for the jack hits the box..... I'm thinking about shortening the handle arm ..... Thoughts?

Any other thoughts or comments? With this setup I will be able to keep up front one jerry can, one full propane tank and one small backup and have a box for accessories.

Some have cut and shaped the arm of the jack to accept a socket and use a ratchet with extension, a jack/tire iron from their tow vehicle or even a cordless drill with socket. If you have trouble shaping it you can weld a nut on and still use any of the tools listed.

You could also move it just lightly further up the tongue and have it welded there.

Good luck.

wandererr

Adventurer
I didn't think about using a wrench on the jack handle. That's a good idea. I believe though there is enough material though to shape it. I am more open to welding a nut onto it. Originally I was thinking about about cutting it on the long section and removing a piece and then welding them back together (or rather threading them and using a coupler to join them together and then welding the coupler solid).

Regarding moving things around... I have thought about it. I have played musical chairs before BBQing yesterday and this setup feels good. I think that the jerry can and the tank will be the heavier pieces and I want them closer to the axle of the trailer.

I was thinking about welding the jack to the tongue or drilling holes and using spacers to stiffen up the mount and prevent collapsing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94