torsion axle question (#5200 vs. #3500) for off road?

wb9wb

Assuming I will never load a trailer more than 3,000#, does it help/make sense to upgrade independent torsion axle to a #5200 axle?
I'm wondering much like a mountain bike vs a street bike, if bouncing it around on Forest / BLM roads over time will make a difference?

thanks.

ITTOG

Regardless if you “think” you will never go above 3000 pounds you should match the torsion axle rating to that of the trailer.

Two parts groups here: The axle + bearing + hubs AND the spring.

Going heavier duty (i.e. 5200 instead of 3500) gives you a more durable axle, bearings, bigger brakes, etc. But also costs you in weight and I see soooo many overbuilt trailers. Dragging extra weight around is less safe on the highway (harder to stop), harder to drag around on trails, harder to move by hand, puts more stress on your drivetrain, and so much more. I put a 6K axle under my last M101A1 but am using a 3500 on my new one.

The downside of a higher rated spring with a lighter load is your contents and all attachments will get banged around much more. Better to have a spring matched to your load to smooth out the ride.

You can pair a heavy duty axle with lighter weight springs to match your load. It's easy to do with the leaf spring axles, but probably harder with torsion setups.

Last edited:

john61ct

Adventurer
Depends on which ones.

I know with the Timbren Axle-less, oversizing makes for a very stiff ride.

Some size pairs share the same steel bits, just swapping the rubber ones out is the only difference between them.

FlightMedicJP

I did a 3500 lb's axle and tuned to 2750.

3,500 lb. Flexiride Torsion Axle w/Brakes
  • Please Specify Your Outside Frame Width (Between 34" - 80", in 1" increments) : 48"
  • 5 Bolt - 5" Bolt Circle
  • Self-Adjusting Electric Drum Brake
  • Starting Angle 1 - Normal 22 Degree Down
  • 2,750 lbs.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior