Total Composites full introduction!

CappyJax

Hi Andreas,

I was curious why the roof and floor and in between the walls and everything is supported by the extrusions? Wouldn't it be stronger to have the floor and ceiling wider with the walls providing the support?

How much weight can the roof support?

And are attachment supports placed in panels as standard, or do they all have to be specified?

Thank you

Victorian

Approved Vendor : Total Composites
Hi Andreas,

I was curious why the roof and floor and in between the walls and everything is supported by the extrusions? Wouldn't it be stronger to have the floor and ceiling wider with the walls providing the support?

How much weight can the roof support?

And are attachment supports placed in panels as standard, or do they all have to be specified?

Thank you

We developed this system to be able to ship the components/ panels in regular shipping containers without wasting too much space in such containers. Therefore to gain maximum legal width with commercial truck bodies, we needed to place the sidewalls beside the floor. There have been concerns by others in the past, but I think with several thousand of our bodies on the road all over the world, it's safe to say that there is nothing to worry about.
Aside from the no issues, we have recently introduced a new style of FRP Extrusions that allow for the roof to rest on the side walls and the sidewalls on the floor. Please see attached picture. This new style is being used with our slide in campers and travel trailers.

Cheers,

Attachments

• TC 50-50 FRP extrusion .jpg
    TC 50-50 FRP extrusion .jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 71

CappyJax

I think the weak point in very cold climates will be the windows, door and hatches. After that, I would worry about filling the void in the extrusions.

1. Solar panels should only be glued. The goal is to prevent openings in the roof at all cost as these could and most likely will leak at some point.
2. Windows (arctic Tern are clamped in place, no glue or sealant needed) You could use a cheap kitchen and bath caulking to seal the foam before installing the window.
3. Hatches and entry doors are glued in place and therefore should not have any water intrusion.
4. Awnings and other accessories can be mounted to our internal structure. We place these to your specs. View attachment 582826

Hi Andreas,

If you recommend that solar panels be glued, then why do you also recommend keeping the color white? It seems to me that black glued solar panels would generate the same heat problem as a colored box would.

Can the roof handle a 600 pound distributed load?

Victorian

Hi Andreas,

If you recommend that solar panels be glued, then why do you also recommend keeping the color white? It seems to me that black glued solar panels would generate the same heat problem as a colored box would.

Can the roof handle a 600 pound distributed load?

The solar panels should be mounted with raised mounting hardware. This allows for airflow and should not effect the roof.
As for the roof load: There is no specific number we can share or have on file as there are way too many variables. For example: You can increase the overall roof load by installing floor to ceiling cabinetry or divider walls (most people do this anyway). The box itself becomes incredibly stiff as soon as you ad the interior.

Here is a picture of our panel install. Please excuse the dirt... Our truck is not a showroom queen.
Solar mounting.jpg

CappyJax

We developed this system to be able to ship the components/ panels in regular shipping containers without wasting too much space in such containers. Therefore to gain maximum legal width with commercial truck bodies, we needed to place the sidewalls beside the floor. There have been concerns by others in the past, but I think with several thousand of our bodies on the road all over the world, it's safe to say that there is nothing to worry about.
Aside from the no issues, we have recently introduced a new style of FRP Extrusions that allow for the roof to rest on the side walls and the sidewalls on the floor. Please see attached picture. This new style is being used with our slide in campers and travel trailers.

Cheers,

Can the roof be walked on?

F550Overland

Hi Andreas,
I will soon be a customer once I can finalize my design, and the truck arrives from Ford.
I am going to put your custom tanks in a subfloor inside your composite box. How would you recommend securing them to the floor to minimize damage to the composite box in case they have to be removed for service later? Also when I design the subfloor assembly can the 2" wide aluminum frame rest on top of where the floor extrusions are located? Or would I need to distribute the load out more?
Thanks,
Tim

Victorian

Hello everyone,

With great sadness, I have noticed a lot of hostile comments/ private messages towards me and our company in this forum over the last several months. The people that know me, appreciate my insights with topics that fall into my expertise . With over 30 years of experience in the expedition truck industry there is a thing or two I learned and I'm happy to share this when someone asks.
I always tried to be polite and helpful. 99% of the time I'm on this forum as a private person. Too bad my profile shows "approved Vendor".... Some people saw this as "product placement" and got angry at me without realizing that I actually added value to the conversation and potentially saved them from failure and wasting tons of money.
This means I stop my contribution to this great forum and will be watching from the side lines.

Cheers everyone and thank you for 8 years of entertainment.

Furaites

@Victorian. I am truely sad to hear this, and I have read many threads where you have commented and threads you have started. I appreciated your insight and information and saw it as a great tool...an invaluable commodity. I am sorry that you were treated so negatively, but hope to hear from ya in the future.

Will definately hit you up Via PM's if I have to when I got any questions or Queries pertaining to your field of expertise (and yes you are an Expert)

Kind regards,
Furaites

ITTOG

This is horrible and a great loss to the community. Please exposes these people. I am sure most of us would prefer they leave and you stay. Can you not turn off PM's so you don't have to deal with these losers?

mog

Kodiak Buckaroo
I have always found you extremely helpful and supportive for the Total Composite products, and when I have met you in person, you are a truly great person to be around. Total Composite has opened up a huge segment of the Expo/Overlanding market to the 'common man'. Those that have been here a long time remember in 'the old days' the only option for a composite box (finished or unfinished) was an order to Germany to one of 'the big guys', along with a wire transfer of 50,000-200,000 € and a 6-8 month wait. As more composite suppliers enter the market that Total Composite has single-handedly created, you have never once complained and always support competition as rising all boats.

Your hands-on approach has always put Total Composite at the top, and I believe adds a HUGE amount of confidence to buyers and interested parties, as there is a personal touch and attention. Much more so than clicking on some icons and hoping the right stuff arrives. Unfortunately, that also gives the dredge access for their complaints, attacks, sour grapes, etc. It is not just towards you or Total Composite. How many high-end builds or vehicle threads have attacks due to the cost of the vehicle. Earthroamer, GXV, etc owners beware, and god forbid if you posted a Euro Unicat or Bliss vehicle, the wrath of the 'that is too much money' pack would be on that.

Remember, 'the jackal speaks from the safety of the pack'.
Hang it there
Solidarität mit Total Composite

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles