Towing a 16ft Airstream with a 4runner? Other alternatives?

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
The Base camp 20x solves that problem and gives you pretty much a king size bed, I am a huge fan of the 20x interior layout.

And I’m a fan of buying something that will actually retain its value longer than a few years. Basecamp models have proven to NOT do that, but if it suits your needs, please enjoy. It’s your money after all.

jaxyaks

Adventurer
And I’m a fan of buying something that will actually retain its value longer than a few years. Basecamp models have proven to NOT do that, but if it suits your needs, please enjoy. It’s your money after all.
Who would buy a new one anyway...let some other guy take the hit on the first 2-4 years...

nickw

Adventurer
Who would buy a new one anyway...let some other guy take the hit on the first 2-4 years...
New Airstreams, at least over the last 3-4 years, are cheaper new than used. We sold our 2019 Bambi for $5k more than we bought if for 3-4 months ago....go figure. Doubt that market will continue but who knows...

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
You will run over GVWR long before exceeding "tow rating" 99.99% of the time.

GVWR, GCWR and GAWR are typically the limiting factors. "Tow rating" is pretty much a worthless number used for marketing.
Ummm, no.
Ummm, yes. My trucks tow rating is 14,000. My Payload is 1,777.
Do the math on your Tundra assuming 10-15% tongue weight and max trailer weight and let me know what the number say :)
Didng, ding, ding! You win the Kewpie doll!

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
Whatever. You guys clearly know best. I’ll just leave this to the obvious experts, and go back to building custom Airstreams and setting up tow vehicles for clients from all over the world.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Do the math on your Tundra assuming 10-15% tongue weight and max trailer weight and let me know what the number say :)
Very few trailers other than racing boats with specific weigh in weights are ever 10-15% tongue weight. Unless the owner is splitting hairs towing with a TV thats on the edge of being too light in the shorts for the job.

Thanks for the input, everyone!

Okay, not a 4runner, then. Likely getting a truck.
Choose anything yet? If not you might look at the current version of Nissan Frontier. They are actually available on dealer lots and in theory are better suited for towing than either the 4Runner or Tacoma. I got one a few months ago and have towed my 17' Casita a couple of times. 430# tongue weight causes more rear sag than I'd like so I swapped in some Sumo bump stops but haven't towed since. Anyway, I think it will be fine for a 3500# trailer but if you want the 20' Airstream a full size truck is the way to go.

skrypj

I have an F150 and a GX460 and used both to tow my 5500 lbs gvwr jayco jayfeather x213

The GX handles the trailer fine, but the major issues, especially towing out west, are power and fuel capacity. Even with the extra power of the 1UR V8 over the 4.0 in the 4Runner, and the shorter axle ratio, it struggles here in Utah. Getting caught in a headwind on a hot day would be miserable. And 23 gallons is barely enough. At least towing my trailer, 10 mpg is a good day. 8-9 is normal. Ive had days where my F150 was getting <7 mpg due to 30 mph headwinds. 23 gallons disappears mighty quick.

My F150 on the other hand has tons of power and a 36 gallon tank. Its much more casual to tow with

phsycle

Adventurer
Hilarious people balk at buying a new Basecamp because of poor resale value then jumping on a guy saying buy used due to the fact used is more expensive than new. ?

To the OP, get a full-size. If a truck is too long, at least a Sequoia, Tahoe, or something similar.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Hilarious people balk at buying a new Basecamp because of poor resale value then jumping on a guy saying buy used due to the fact used is more expensive than new. ?

To the OP, get a full-size. If a truck is too long, at least a Sequoia, Tahoe, or something similar.
My Sequoia was only a couple inches longer than my J80. My Expedition was pretty much identical to the Sequoia in length. The trucks are definitely longer. There are cases where longer can be an issue. Pull in length at campgrounds. Skiing parking lot this last week the truck guys were all parking in the outside spots pulling nose to the snow given if they parked in the row they were blocking the street etc.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior