Towing With Hardside Truck Camper

Wife and I have been tossing around different camper and camping scenarios.
A very versatile package that we have come up with is the hardside truck camper with the possibility of trailer towing an on/off road vehicle. We want to explore places like Moab.

The concern I have is truck capacity. If we go with a hardside camper this gives me the perfect opportunity to get a new truck.

Can it safely be done with a one ton crew cab 4wd SRW 6.5 foot bed truck? Trailer and on/off road vehicle would not be over 10K pounds. We leaning towards the Bundtec BunduVry and the ability to customize it.
Are towing capacities in addition to GVW? If I have a truck loaded close to GVW how does that affect towing capacity?

Just looking at Ford's GVWR spec it appears GVWR is 10K to 11K and GCWR of 28.7K with a 6.2 Gas and 4.30 gear. This would give me a towing capacity of 15K. Am I understanding the specs correctly?

Trying to justify Ford's new Tremor F-350. Hey honey if we get the BunduVry and want to haul the Bronco with us I need this truck LOL.

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
I do 1000 miles a week once a month like that. 11 000# F350 and a 6000# trailer. Tongue weight of the trailer counts against the trucks GVWR. I would double your expected tongue weight for your GVWR math considerations. Also keep in mind, if your trailer has enough beef, you can move your trucks spare tire there, and much of your heavy recovery gear or tools.

You'll want stiffer rear springs and/or Sumo Rebel springs. Rear sway bar. Lockout 6th and 5th gears when needed to keep the engine happy past 2500 rpm. A weight distro hitch might be a good idea.

It'll eat rear tires. And soft tires like Goodyear Duratracs won't cut it even when aired up to 88psi. A DRW F350 , F450 might be a wiser option.

Bundutec makes tray campers as well. So also consider a flatbed chassis cab F350 or F450. Those have more spring.

Last edited:

wirenut

Adventurer
It can safely be done for sure. Most people hauling truck campers are over the truck's GVWR but stay under the axle and tire ratings. That's the way my last 3 TC combos have been. I've got thousands of trouble free miles in 20 states with those rigs.
I would strongly consider a long bed truck. Unless you're going to get a really small 6.5' camper your TC will likely be 8' long. So, having the short bed truck doesn't really make the rig any shorter. But, it does limit your selection of campers. There are far more campers available that are designed for an 8' bed.
If you aren't going to be wheeling the truck then I would strongly consider a dually for your intended use. The difference in stability and real world load carrying ability is stark. When I moved my 11' camper from an '07 Chevy SRW 3500 to an '05 Chevy dually I noticed the reduced bounce and sway just driving to the local propane filling station.

Dually and flat bed is out of the question. When not camping will be using it around the homestead and occasional trips to work.

No wheeling the truck that's what the Bronco is for.

Ford's new Tremor is only be offered with 6.75 bed otherwise it would be a long bed.

LimaMikeMike

Observer
I would second the long box comment, if you're wheeling the bronco whats the point of the Tremor?

A 6.5 box limits you to a short camper or a longer camper with an overhang, in which case would require you to use a tow extension to clear the back of the camper. There are very few tow extensions that will handle 10K load-Torklift makes one but last I checked it requires a modified hitch-and is kinda spendy.

BritKLR

Kapitis Indagatoris
Very doable. That's how we explored Utah and Colorado for years from Kansas City before we moved out here. Except we flat towed our Sami for about 60k miles. A good HD truck, high quality tie downs, high quality tires, air suspension, towing equipment and routine maintenance and not a single problem in over 10 years. Good luck!

billiebob

Ford's GVWR spec it appears GVWR is 10K to 11K and GCWR of 28.7K with a 6.2 Gas and 4.30 gear. This would give me a towing capacity of 15K. Am I understanding the specs correctly?
Gross Combined Weight Rating is the maximum TOTAL weight including fuel, passengers, luggage, truck and trailer outfitted with full tanks, food, clothing etc. If the GCWR is 28.7K and your GVWR is 11K, your theoretical towing limit is 17.7K.

BUT when you scale each axle you cannot exceed the individual axle rating. So depending on the tongue weight of the trailer, the Rear Axle Weight Rating might limit the weight you can load on the truck.

billiebob

Very doable. That's how we explored Utah and Colorado for years from Kansas City before we moved out here. Except we flat towed our Sami for about 60k miles. A good HD truck, high quality tie downs, high quality tires, air suspension, towing equipment and routine maintenance and not a single problem in over 10 years. Good luck!
View attachment 526023
Now that is my dream machine.

deserteagle56

Adventurer
Dually and flat bed is out of the question. When not camping will be using it around the homestead and occasional trips to work.

Keep in mind that the mirrors are the widest part of any truck, be it SRW or DRW. So if the mirrors fit the rear fenders will too. I too was leery of a dually until I tried it. Not a problem! I find the 6 speed manual to be more of a hindrance in commuting than the DRW.

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
Why can't you take a DRW to work or home? If I was never planning to wheel my truck, it would be DRW to get a slide out style camper, or any of the big campers above.

I do prefer smaller campers. Like a Bunduvry or Capris. Big campers are kinda the life I'm trying to leave at home. Too much work and baggage. They're tighter, but still have all that you need.

andytruck

Observer
Duallys are not for going off road bc rocks get stuck between tires. Even going down a dirt road to unload your 4x4 toys is considered off road...

A one-ton will drive great and handle the weight, but will possibly be more harsh ride when unloaded (driving to work). Some say this is not true, so test drive... a 3/4 ton will be fine though you might need help on the springs, like bags or other spring helpers when camper is in, this at least gives you the option to have softer springs when not loaded, a 1-ton will not. 4 wheel 1-ton and 3/4-tons are typically the same truck except for the springs.

If you tow a vehicle, which has 4 tires on the ground and carries its' own weight, then tongue weight is not an issue, just braking for sudden stops...

Consider getting a super hitch if you plan to have a hitch extension. Extensions are fine, but you will be glad you got the heavy-duty truss-style (or more likely you will regret not getting one).

Short campers are not as nice as the 9-10 foot ones. TCs are small no matter the length. Storage is very limited. Showers are a must for some.

deserteagle56

Adventurer
Duallys are not for going off road bc rocks get stuck between tires.

It happens - but it is pretty rare. Never had it happen to me. Lots of duallys owned by the local ranches and used by the local mines and fire departments, all of which spend most of their time off the highway. Rocks between the duals are not something they worry too much about.

wgeyer88

I know this thread is a few months old, but I’ll add my response anyway. If someone stumbles across in the future it might help them.

I towed my race car all over the country behind my truck and camper. And the truck is only a 1500HD, but with airbags added in the back. It’s not a diesel so I work the engine pretty hard when driving through the mountains but I haven’t had any issues after thousands of miles over many Colorado passes. My truck is only a 6.5ft bed and my camper was made for an 8ft bed so it hangs out to the end of the tailgate. Make sure you accommodate for any camper overhang, there’s a high likelihood your trailer will hit it.2E3AE924-5F0F-41DF-948D-E554E82693DF.jpeg

Attachments

• 3BAFCFC2-32A8-478F-B1B6-A562968A8DF0.jpeg
    3BAFCFC2-32A8-478F-B1B6-A562968A8DF0.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 28
  • 19EBDE72-B46C-4D0D-9659-99E885ACA43F.jpeg
    19EBDE72-B46C-4D0D-9659-99E885ACA43F.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 30

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94