Toyo M/T vs Falken M/T for road snow

Jorwood

Hey guys, been lurking for a minute but now its time to post!

Getting new tires for my f250 in 315/75r16. I'm moving to Colorado and need a tire that can handle the snow and occasional ice. I've had the Toyo M/T and loved it but never in this environment. I've heard decent things about the Falken but was hoping for feedback by someone that's tried both. Thanks guys!

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
I haven’t tried the Falkens, but the Toyos are amazing in snow. I had a 40 mile commute to get from my house to my loader and snowcat, and sometimes the highways crews hadn’t plowed. We get 2-3’ dumps at a go, and I always had an easy time. I ran the exact same size on my ‘96 F350 and barely used 4x4 with the Toyos.

nickw

Adventurer
I've seen M/T's do ok in deeper snow...but as far as ice is concerned, no M/T tire is going to be safe.

Inyo_man

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.
If you are stuck on running a MT, consider siping the lugs.
This will improve your on snow/ice handling on pavement.

Cheers

Last edited:

jadmt

ignore button user
I have Falken at3w in 255/80-17 and dang they are impressive tires and dirt cheap at tirebuyer.com I used to be dyed in the wool Toyo fan but I have made the switch as Toyos just got too crazy expensive.

Nautadoc

Had Toyo M/T's on my Jeep and it was a beast of a tire. Did a lot of snow and off road with them and I felt safe and in control after I learned to drive them. I also loved the humm on the highway. They balanced out fine too. Somewhat heavy but that's a compromise. Yeah, the price is a big issue but maybe can put a week's worth of your favorite indulgence away every two to three weeks and see if that gets you closer to your goal.

M/T tires are truly terrible in real high-altitude mountain snow and ice on paved roads. As mentioned above, you can make them a lot better by heavily siping them, but you really need to re-sipe regularly. In my opinion, your best bet is a second pair of studded tires for winter use.

jadmt

ignore button user
he obviously has not actually tried the falken at3w. I have run many sets of Toyo AT2's and currently am running the Falkens and they are quieter and smoother than the Toyos. Will they wear as well that is to be determined but as far as quiet and smooth they are hard to beat.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier