Toyota 4.0 v6 0w20 oil? Wtf?

toylandcruiser

Expedition Leader
Does anyone have Access to the shop manuals?

We could probably look up the tolarances In them.

I would bet $1.00 that they just swapped the oil spec

0w20 is not gonna kill the motor before the factory warranty runs out. But it might make someone have to go car shopping in 10 years instead of 11 which is to their benefit.
yep it s big conspiracy

Wallygator

Adventurer
I'll never get comfortable with a 25k mile interval and I wonder how many people leave their filters on for the whole time not knowing. That's the real problem with it I think. If you leave oil in 10k or 25k or whatever it is I bet you're running with the bypass in the filter open for some of the time. Maybe not at 10k, but that's got to be the limit with any filter that's actually fine enough to filter efficiently for the tolerances we're talking about here, single digit or sub micron.

That's the thing I don't get when people talk about it over on Tacoma World or anywhere like BITOG trying to find the exact moment their oil has become fully used as some sort of hyper mile test. Why do you want to make your particular truck into a lifecycle product test mule?

Let Toyota do that, which they are presumably doing to come up with their recommendations. Then if you're a particular OCD type you take 65% of that so that your routine interval has margin. Plus you're never at risk in case you run long or find yourself doing an emergency tow or some other unexpected thing. I stick to 5k intervals with Mobil1 and a Denso filter and from UOA tests I know there's 2,500 miles easily left in case I need to drive cross country for a funeral and I'm at 4k miles on the oil.

Same reason I never let my fuel tank drop below 1/2. What if Armageddon hits and I need to get 100 miles from town RIGHT NOW? Huh, what are you gonna do then if you didn't fill up last night and gotta wait in line at the Shell?
Yeah I read the recommendations one time on the back of the Amsoil premium oil bottle. It definitely states a filter change and oil analysis mid 25K. But I will never do it and even if I ran the premium oil it would get changed at 10K. An there is absolutely nothing wrong with 0w20 weight oil which is a full synthetic oil no matter which brand you choose.

FordGuy1

Adventurer
The engineers have to get their designs past the bean counters and the bureaucrats so they have to pick their battles.

Just be glad that anything gets built and works as well as it does.
The real fix for vehicle engeneers is make them repair what they design. If they ever had to fix what they make in a real world environment, they would probably blow their brains out.

Boatbuilder79

The real fix for vehicle engeneers is make them repair what they design. If they ever had to fix what they make in a real world environment, they would probably blow their brains out.
Ford does do some strange things

My 2015 f150 with the 5.0 is so much easier to work on than my 93 was. But it is still a ford.

But the 05 Tundra I had was the easiest vehicle to work on that I have seen.