Toyota Guy Considering Land Rovers...

roverrocks

Expedition Leader
Stick with Toyota. There is a BIG REASON to do so vs. LR. Reliability and dependability. I do love my Disco but we all have to be realistic about which are the better built vehicles.

wreckdiver1321

Overlander
As a reformed Land Rover guy, here's what I can say. I absolutely loved my Disco. It was amazing and it was so much fun. But it had so many little issues and things that kept going wrong that I just didn't trust it at all anymore. I never felt confident enough to take it long distance. It seemed everytime I did, it'd get mad that I was considering making it work more than normal and stage a protest. Which is why I sold it and ended up with a Nissan.

So my advice to someone used to Toyota reliability? 2nd gen Xterra. Looks cool, huge aftermarket, very capable, and nice inside. And quite a healthy V6 under the hood. Couple all that with reliability and a lower sticker shock than any comparable Toyota and problem solved.

no-pistons

Adventurer
I started off with Toyotas also. Currently still have a 100 Series that I use for trips. Bought a Discovery 1 about a year ago and have been daily driving it every day. No problems what so ever. However, I have done a lot of preventative maintenance on it, but to be fair, I did that same amount of PM to my 100 Series also. Just got a LR3 for the wife too. So far so good on that too.

IMO both Land Rovers are MUCH more fun and interesting to drive than the Land Cruiser.

psykokid

Explorer
I was reading your initial post on how the STI isn't exactly miserly on fuel consumption, well.. once you lift and armour a disco it gets pretty abysmal.. My 97 D1 with a 2" lift, sliders, skid plate, roof rack and 245/75/16 BFG's turns about 11 mpg in mixed traffic.. If i'm doing just freeway driving it jumps up a bit, 12-13 mpg but nothing spectacular.. D2's tend to get a little bit better mileage because of the Bosch EFI vs the GEMS (coil pack) or 14CUX (distributor) in the D1's. If you are looking for something more thrifty than the STI in the fuel dept, IF you can find a d1 on the cheap with a blown motor AND source a TDI swap then it might work out. But for a gasser V8? Prepare to bend over at the pump weekly, oh yeah you need to run premium in the Disco as well regardless of vintage.

evilfij

Explorer
I am a die hard rover person, but even I caved and bought a daily driver.

60miles a day at 12mpg on premium was more expensive than the depreciation on my DD.

JSimmons

Casual Observer
Define your initial budget, as that would help tremendously.
Next define build parameters- lift/tires, or more aggressive?

Head gaskets on a D-II, definitely. On a D-I, not so much, but still a consideration, unless pre '96. Still possible, but less likely...
The list can go on, but as RonCT mentioned, an LR3 can cure many woes, and make an enjoyable leap into the green abiss. The answers to the above will narrow things down considerably.

Rovertrader - I would say my initial budget is going to be somewhere between $5k - $7k. That is also allowing for the typical 1/3 rule, where I'm trying to keep another $1,500 - $2,500 in reserve for initial repairs and maintenance. As for build parameters, nothing too crazy. Any suspension work would probably be fulfilled by OME components. I still have my old ARB air compressor for any ARB lockers and/or air tank for airing-up tires. I think most rigs are fairly capable in stock configuration but the addition of lockers really makes a difference over giant lifts and monster tires.

The LR3 is interesting buy the styling just doesn't do much for me.

JSimmons

Casual Observer
You are a toyota guy?

Go buy a GX470. Problem solved. Problem staying solved.

If you are dead set on a rover, LR3 with the V8 engine. Once again, problem solved.

Points taken.

I was going to add, (never owned a D1 or D2) but I have read they get LC80 mileage not 4Runner mileage, if you hated the 4Runner MPG, I think the LR will eat at you....

You will get bad mileage in a D1 and worse in a D2, especially if you plan on lifting it. Maybe search around for a D1 with a TDI swap; best of both worlds.

I was reading your initial post on how the STI isn't exactly miserly on fuel consumption, well.. once you lift and armour a disco it gets pretty abysmal.. My 97 D1 with a 2" lift, sliders, skid plate, roof rack and 245/75/16 BFG's turns about 11 mpg in mixed traffic.. If i'm doing just freeway driving it jumps up a bit, 12-13 mpg but nothing spectacular.. D2's tend to get a little bit better mileage because of the Bosch EFI vs the GEMS (coil pack) or 14CUX (distributor) in the D1's. If you are looking for something more thrifty than the STI in the fuel dept, IF you can find a d1 on the cheap with a blown motor AND source a TDI swap then it might work out. But for a gasser V8? Prepare to bend over at the pump weekly, oh yeah you need to run premium in the Disco as well regardless of vintage.

Well, I'm not too concerned about gas mileage. The 4Runner had 255/75 R17 GYSAs on it and was getting about 15/16 mpg city and about 17 mpg highway at 55 mph and down to 16 mpg at 70 mph. I liked the fact that I could put 87 octane in the 4Runner. The combination of $430/month car payment with a $300/month gas bill along with the insurance is what was unacceptable to me. If I can buy a rig outright, then the gas bill doesn't bother me that much. However, my wife has already chimed-in that if I do this she will force me to drive her Outback as the daily driver on the 50 mile round-trip commute each day. Probably the most important takeaway is that I did not know the Discos regardless of vintage required premium gas. Hmmm...

Stick with Toyota. There is a BIG REASON to do so vs. LR. Reliability and dependability. I do love my Disco but we all have to be realistic about which are the better built vehicles.

The stinging voice of reason. I agree...

As a reformed Land Rover guy, here's what I can say. I absolutely loved my Disco. It was amazing and it was so much fun. But it had so many little issues and things that kept going wrong that I just didn't trust it at all anymore. I never felt confident enough to take it long distance. It seemed everytime I did, it'd get mad that I was considering making it work more than normal and stage a protest. Which is why I sold it and ended up with a Nissan.

So my advice to someone used to Toyota reliability? 2nd gen Xterra. Looks cool, huge aftermarket, very capable, and nice inside. And quite a healthy V6 under the hood. Couple all that with reliability and a lower sticker shock than any comparable Toyota and problem solved.

The bold and italicized section is what I worry about. And yes, I agree that Nissans have less sticker shock than Yotas. I can see my Yota friends gathering with pitchforks already if I show up with a Nissan! :sombrero:

I started off with Toyotas also. Currently still have a 100 Series that I use for trips. Bought a Discovery 1 about a year ago and have been daily driving it every day. No problems what so ever. However, I have done a lot of preventative maintenance on it, but to be fair, I did that same amount of PM to my 100 Series also. Just got a LR3 for the wife too. So far so good on that too.

IMO both Land Rovers are MUCH more fun and interesting to drive than the Land Cruiser.

See, this is what has me interested in Land Rovers (specifically Discos). Everyone says they are more fun and interesting than Toyotas or Nissans and it seems like you've never had many issues. Preventative maintenance is key though, and I usually stay on top of that with all of our vehicles. I guess I have to temper that with what wreckdriver1321 said above about his experiences with Land Rovers.

I appreciate all of the input from everyone.

JSimmons

Casual Observer
Yes, Palo Verde just south of Benson Hwy.

Mahalos. Found it. Excellent website and looks like the place I would take my rig to if I had a Disco. I might swing by there this weekend or next week sometime just to check it out.

Rovertrader

Supporting Sponsor
Rovertrader - I would say my initial budget is going to be somewhere between $5k - $7k. That is also allowing for the typical 1/3 rule, where I'm trying to keep another $1,500 - $2,500 in reserve for initial repairs and maintenance. As for build parameters, nothing too crazy. Any suspension work would probably be fulfilled by OME components. I still have my old ARB air compressor for any ARB lockers and/or air tank for airing-up tires. I think most rigs are fairly capable in stock configuration but the addition of lockers really makes a difference over giant lifts and monster tires.

The LR3 is interesting buy the styling just doesn't do much for me.

You are on the right path- just sold a very nice 96k mile D-I for $2.5k, at a loss I might add. And just sold a very nice well built '02 D-II for $8k, stock heads, but tons of records, and upgrades, sans lockers. Hopefully that sets a stage for you.
I have a '99 D-I (last year, Ca truck) w/ 84k, very well built (lockers, no issues at all, etc, and non-S/R) that would fetch $12k +/-, one similar did early this summer with more miles. Point being- find one built even moderately, and well maintained, and you should be set to have a good experience! Be patient as Rover guys trade fairly regularly- Disco upgrading to Defenders, back to LR3 for travel/comfort/reliability/etc...
You seem to have a good head and are being prudent- eyes wide open with reasonable expectations. Jump in to the green pool, premium fuel be damned!! Good excuse for that diesel swap down the road ;-)
Cheers, and all the best!!

Dendy Jarrett

Expedition Portal Admin
Staff member
Dale, is this the green truck that you have for sale (the DI)? If so, nice truck. I personally would have a DI over a DII simply because I had a DII that dropped a liner, put a brand new crated motor in it, and immediately sold it, ... new owner only got about 15K miles and it dropped a liner. Too much risk in the DII for me. It is a shame cause their styling is so nice. You might consider a DI or an LR3. I know what you mean when you say that an LR3 doesn't "do it" for you, but if you find one that is build ... they can be a great looking truck and about as capable as anything out there.
d

Rovertrader

Supporting Sponsor
No, it sold as stated above- took a hit, but needed room badly.
I will post pics of mine soon, just need to take some...

JSimmons

Casual Observer
You are on the right path- just sold a very nice 96k mile D-I for $2.5k, at a loss I might add. And just sold a very nice well built '02 D-II for $8k, stock heads, but tons of records, and upgrades, sans lockers. Hopefully that sets a stage for you.
I have a '99 D-I (last year, Ca truck) w/ 84k, very well built (lockers, no issues at all, etc, and non-S/R) that would fetch $12k +/-, one similar did early this summer with more miles. Point being- find one built even moderately, and well maintained, and you should be set to have a good experience! Be patient as Rover guys trade fairly regularly- Disco upgrading to Defenders, back to LR3 for travel/comfort/reliability/etc...
You seem to have a good head and are being prudent- eyes wide open with reasonable expectations. Jump in to the green pool, premium fuel be damned!! Good excuse for that diesel swap down the road ;-)
Cheers, and all the best!!

Thanks again RoverTrader. I'll keep my eyes peeled for something similar to what you just sold. Although, I still hesitate at the premium fuel requirement. I would love to have a diesel Land Rover or Toyota or anything for that matter that can hit the backcountry. After three tours in Afghanistan I kind of miss the Toyota Hi-Lux and Ford Rangers they have over there. But, I don't know that I would want to do a swap no matter what I end up with, Land Rover or Toyota. I'm a fan of trying to keep things as stock as possible or only making modifications that overwhelmingly add to the value or capability of a rig. Discos just look so good though...

Dale, is this the green truck that you have for sale (the DI)? If so, nice truck. I personally would have a DI over a DII simply because I had a DII that dropped a liner, put a brand new crated motor in it, and immediately sold it, ... new owner only got about 15K miles and it dropped a liner. Too much risk in the DII for me. It is a shame cause their styling is so nice. You might consider a DI or an LR3. I know what you mean when you say that an LR3 doesn't "do it" for you, but if you find one that is build ... they can be a great looking truck and about as capable as anything out there.
d

I think a DI would be pretty cool. I did a search on cars.com a while back and even found one that had a 5 speed. Hearing about the DII models constantly dropping cylinder liners is quite disturbing, I have to say. I've been doing more reading on this around the web and from some "newbie" guides like they have at the Falconworks website (a local Tucson LR shop) and it seems like this a serious engineering flaw, although one that can be fixed. When I hear a Land Rover guy say "Too much risk in the DII for me" that makes me pause. I have heard great things about the LR3, and although I shouldn't be throwing stones since I currently drive an Impreza STi, the LR3 has a kind of "spaceship" styling that hasn't quite grown on me. Maybe I'll give them a second look here this weekend.

Thanks again everyone for chiming in and giving me some perspective. Far too often have I made vehicle purchases without doing my homework. You think I would learn at some point, but I'm just a sucker for cool cars and trucks. Oh well.

:friday:

ebg18t

Adventurer
Having had both an 04 LR D2 and an 04 Toyota 4R i can say they are both fun. But as much as i loved my D2 it definitely needed more attention and quirky repairs when compared to my 4R.

3.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior