Toyota Sienna lift

JoeJoe

Has anyone modified a Sienna for better ground clearance and larger tires?

I would really like a Westy, but need to find a newer platform to work with.

I know that the Astros can be easily lifted, but again - I would like to look at newer options.

Thanks.

JoeJoe

I saw a Sienna modified for wheelchair access at a car lot. It looked lowered and I guess it lowers itself when parked to make it easier to get in and out. I peaked underneath and the underside had taken a real beating.

Last edited:

peanut

I saw a post a couple of weeks ago from a guy want more clearance for his 2nd gen Sienna. I think he shimmed the strut mount 1" between the body and mount, and added a 1/2" or 1" larger diameter tire (can't remember). He posted his drawings in the thread, but I can't remember what forum I saw that at and I haven't been able to find it to link to it. I stumbled across it as I am looking for more modern mini van alternative. Lots of things i don't love about the Sienna, but the pickens are slim for late model AWD minivans.

I'll post it up if I can find it. Realistically, I expect there are a tons of reasonable ways to lift it such as strut mount spacers, spring spacers, modified strut housings, airbags, custom springs, using existing springs from something else with the same spring diameter....

JoeJoe

I saw a post a couple of weeks ago from a guy want more clearance for his 2nd gen Sienna. I think he shimmed the strut mount 1" between the body and mount, and added a 1/2" or 1" larger diameter tire (can't remember). He posted his drawings in the thread, but I can't remember what forum I saw that at and I haven't been able to find it to link to it. I stumbled across it as I am looking for more modern mini van alternative. Lots of things i don't love about the Sienna, but the pickens are slim for late model AWD minivans.

I'll post it up if I can find it. Realistically, I expect there are a tons of reasonable ways to lift it such as strut mount spacers, spring spacers, modified strut housings, airbags, custom springs, using existing springs from something else with the same spring diameter....

Love to see that post!

Try finding out if it has a different name overseas or a chassis code name. Its common to refer to the vehicles that way and sometimes yields different search results. Like the jeep crowd. Tj yj xj

Snowgeek135

Observer
On the astro note....they were built till 2005 and you can still find low mileage examples.... Cheep to buy, cheep and easy to lift, but probably not the gas mileage you would see out of the toy.

Just my 2 cents

1stDeuce

Explorer
I think they built a whole new chassis for that mess... I don't think JoeJoe is interested in going quite that far... :)

The front is a strut suspension, so you could add a spacer above the strut for some lift. On the rear, I think it's coil/beam axle... I only found one picture, but I can't really tell... If it is, then a simple coil spacer would work. If it has a strut, then same as the front. If you keep the amount of lift low, like under 1.5", you'd probably be fine. You may find that you don't have CV or tie rod travel for a full 2" of extra droop on the front, so getting 1" through a spacer on top of the strut, and another bit from a coil spacer in the strut is a good way around that. On the rear, I think the shocks limit droop anyway on the beam axle, so you may need slightly longer units or it'll ride goofy topping out all the time.

Note that depending on the wheel well openings, even with 1-2" of lift, you may not be able to run much of a larger tire without trimming or reworking the inner fenders...

Mrknowitall

Adventurer
Try finding out if it has a different name overseas or a chassis code name. Its common to refer to the vehicles that way and sometimes yields different search results. Like the jeep crowd. Tj yj xj
The Sienna is NA only. It does share drive bits with the likes of the Highlander. It also has a pretty wide track, so the shafts are at least as long. That means you should at least be able to get to a little north of those numbers for axle centerline at the trans and hub. A little trimming and the right fender could do wonders. The gearing is the same as the Highlander, deeper than the 2as van.
OTOH, you're then still rolling on an awd setup. The Astro/Safari can be upgraded with lots of std parts bin stuff. Everything from 4.56 gears and lockers to adjustable t cases. Um, kinda makes me want one.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bad Taste

Members online