Trailer build ideas? Here’s my base trailer….

huntsonora

Explorer
Just send funds to buy this trailer from a guy in Texas. A buddy of mine that’s coming to hunt elk with me next week will deliver it to me in NM.

It’s a home built trailer put together by kids in a shop class. The original owner just used it to haul an ATV but the bones are there to make a really nice offroad trailer than I can take to Mexico with me every January

I’m thinking that an axleless suspension with 255/80/17’s that fit my tundra would be a good start. May build a lightweight box to bolt on to it so I can lock things away. I always seeing y’all’s build so any idea are appreciated

Attachments

• B4DF58C2-FC9C-4F74-B000-3AD002FC1F50.jpeg
    B4DF58C2-FC9C-4F74-B000-3AD002FC1F50.jpeg
    199 KB · Views: 86
  • 19EB7F15-FD71-4846-9C60-FCA09309C2AF.jpeg
    19EB7F15-FD71-4846-9C60-FCA09309C2AF.jpeg
    209.4 KB · Views: 77
  • 94BD69DD-BBFE-4C4E-99CA-BF28E5EA55C6.jpeg
    94BD69DD-BBFE-4C4E-99CA-BF28E5EA55C6.jpeg
    209.1 KB · Views: 76
  • FC7AD7D6-5AD4-4CDA-AEB0-BF7E30623A99.jpeg
    FC7AD7D6-5AD4-4CDA-AEB0-BF7E30623A99.jpeg
    224.5 KB · Views: 74
  • 547A0CE2-C7F5-4E32-AAA0-704CBD5E613F.jpeg
    547A0CE2-C7F5-4E32-AAA0-704CBD5E613F.jpeg
    205.8 KB · Views: 71
  • F64F61AA-BD03-43C1-9C20-48FA3AD8C33E.jpeg
    F64F61AA-BD03-43C1-9C20-48FA3AD8C33E.jpeg
    231 KB · Views: 66

PCO6

Adventurer
I started out with something similar to yours. It's gone through 2 iterations so my build (in my signature below) may be of some use to you. A lot of course depends on what you want to carry, how you want to use it, whether you're doing the work or farming it out, etc. It looks like a great starting point. Good luck with it. (y)

thumbnail.jpg

jmmaxus

I like this trailer base. I’m developing a trailer using CAD software. The Timbrens should be fairly easy to mount and it doesn’t matter how wide the trailer is because they are separate compared to trying to track down or get a custom torsion axle. Timbren most installs I’ve seen people just connect them with 2x2 tube although you can gusset support them or crossbars that are already apart of your trailer but it’s doubtful this trailer has the crossbars perfectly aligned to match the Timbren.

The rack already on it looks good, only downside I see is it’s rounded tubing which may make it harder to add to it to. I think the easiest build would be to keep it and add some square tubing to the rest of the frame sides at the same height. You could weld them on but bolting may be easier. Some ideas for the post based would be to use compactcamping/dinoot corner brackets and rack supports, or use Unistrut post braces (keep in mind some of them would limit it you to odd sized 1 5/8” post). There are also aluminum extrusion supports that can be used with tubing is what I’m using for an aluminum planned build.

Open top would be easier to build. An enclosed trailer you’d likely have to remove the existing rack.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

huntsonora

Explorer
I like this trailer base. I’m developing a trailer using CAD software. The Timbrens should be fairly easy to mount and it doesn’t matter how wide the trailer is because they are separate compared to trying to track down or get a custom torsion axle. Timbren most installs I’ve seen people just connect them with 2x2 tube although you can gusset support them or crossbars that are already apart of your trailer but it’s doubtful this trailer has the crossbars perfectly aligned to match the Timbren.

The rack already on it looks good, only downside I see is it’s rounded tubing which may make it harder to add to it to. I think the easiest build would be to keep it and add some square tubing to the rest of the frame sides at the same height. You could weld them on but bolting may be easier. Some ideas for the post based would be to use compactcamping/dinoot corner brackets and rack supports, or use Unistrut post braces (keep in mind some of them would limit it you to odd sized 1 5/8” post). There are also aluminum extrusion supports that can be used with tubing is what I’m using for an aluminum planned build.

Open top would be easier to build. An enclosed trailer you’d likely have to remove the existing rack.

Thanks for that link!

huntsonora

Explorer
I started out with something similar to yours. It's gone through 2 iterations so my build (in my signature below) may be of some use to you. A lot of course depends on what you want to carry, how you want to use it, whether you're doing the work or farming it out, etc. It looks like a great starting point. Good luck with it. (y)

View attachment 741706

your trailer is awesome!

jmmaxus

@Timbren which setup would you go with? I’m thinking 3500lb axleless with brakes

It does look like a big trailer so if your gonna be over 2200 lbs which is the next Timbren rating down then get the 3500. I’d get the HD version either way whether you chose 2000, 2200, or 3500. The HDs come with a brake flange and I’d get that whether adding brakes or not just in case. If your rolling around light all the time then it may ride rough if there isn’t enough compression on the 3500 springs in which I’d go with lighter suspension. If your tires are over 9” wide (use https://tirecalculator.com) your gonna want the off road tires model with the 8”/8.5” spindles in order to maintain at least 1.5” clearance from your frame. Another thing to keep in mind the models that say 4” lift means 4” lift from the standard height of 3/3.5” so with a 4” lift you would be actually at 7.5” from bottom of your frame to your wheel hub. With 29” tires and 4” lift (7.5” actual) your coupler height would be pretty high at like 22” if my math is correct. 29/2 + 7.5”. So it depends on your weight, tire width, and tow vehicle hitch height.

Im planning on 2000hd wide tires standard height cause I’m building a light aluminum trailer with 29”/9.3” wide tires and pulling with an Outback with a 15” hitch height which I’ll still need a 3” rise on the trailer.

Last edited:

Timbren

Supporting Sponsor
@Timbren which setup would you go with? I’m thinking 3500lb axleless with brakes

We recommend running the 3500 HD series of suspensions, especially if you plan on taking it off-road at all. It will also allow you to pick out some longer spindle arms to accommodate wider wheels and tires.

Porkchopexpress

Nice trailer! Looks like the kids in shop class put a lot of effort into it. I agree the platform looks perfect to add a roof top tent. Other than that, it seems pretty convenient to strap stuff onto. Maybe fabricate some kind of outdoor kitchen?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94