Trailer for S. America?

Carolina4x4

This wasn't getting much attention in Trip Planning so I moved it here:

Our family of four is leaning towards a 4Runner towing an expedition trailer (with a large tent) for a 1-2 year trip across Central and S. America, including some remote, 4x4 areas in Bolivia etc. We could use some advice and suggestions regarding the possible pros and cons of this type of rig. Having never done this trip or any other with a trailer, we (with our limited knowledge) think these include:

Pros: No need to buy another vehicle - we would tow in our existing 2010 V6 4runner; ability to decouple in camp sites so trailer serves as home base while we explore in the 4runner (this seems like a big plus); and all the usual benefits of a solid trailer such as storage, cooking etc. capacity, separated from the main vehicle.
Cons: Usual downsides of tent-camping, which this would essentially be. But we feel the main problem will be the length of the rig and articulation in mountain passes (Road of Death, for example) and small towns/streets. If anyone here has found this NOT to be a problem, we would love the reassurance. Of course, other cons will be gas mileage (4runner is already not great in that dept) and hauling wear on the motor and brakes. But we can live with those assuming they are not catastrophic. We also realize there are some risks involved in towing; we are patient, careful drivers, so we'll minimize those best we can.

So, any thoughts on the rig length/articulation issue and any other issues we may have missed? Appreciate it, thanks!

sg1

Adventurer
South America is not the US. Your trailer will be stolen in no time.
Have you ever been to SA? I have been since 2014 and nothing was stolen. I met a family traveling with a trailer in Bolivia. They had been on the road for several years and were happy with their setup

Teardropper

But we feel the main problem will be the length of the rig and articulation in mountain passes (Road of Death, for example) and small towns/streets. If anyone here has found this NOT to be a problem, we would love the reassurance.

The so-called Road of Death doesn't look any worse than the Moki Dugway. But to answer your question, I can't believe you'll have a problem with articulation.

6VpEAtX.jpg

T

slvyj

Observer
I've been as far south as Panama but without a trailer. I follow a number of people traveling throughout Mexico/Central America, and I'm not aware of anyone with a trailer. Doesn't mean it can't be done, just I haven't seen it. Biggest draw back with a trailer is the additional cost, such as the toll roads in Mexico.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94

Members online