Trailer Tire Questions--SCOTTs trailer.

Colorado Ron

Explorer
Couple of things.

I noticed in the latest issue as I was flipping threw it before bed last night that Scott had tire chains on a trailer? Why? Whats the benefit of tire chains on a trailer?

Second is tires! In Scotts situation I could understand using BFG ATs to match truck. But in "theory"(as in I havent tried this out) wouldnt a good quality street tire or tire with less bite be better for trailers? Wouldnt it be easier to pull thru stuff and with the street treads be more apt to fall into your ruts while in mud or snow??

We are working on our trailer as we speak and I dont really want to mount 35 inch swampers on it, and dont really see the benefit.

Willman

The better the street tire...the better it will tow....this what i was always told:Astrologist:

I just going thought the same thing right now.....I have BF muds (255's) on my truck but decided to put BF AT's (used 285's) on the trailer...I'm putting a new axle with brakes....so i wanted a good tire for grip.....The 285 are temp until i can find a good deal on a seasonal 255 tire......

You never know....i love my BF muds.....might go that way too.....:REOutShootinghunter

I will be posting more to come on my trailer thread

:)

Last edited:

Grim Reaper

Expedition Leader
Colorado Ron said:
Couple of things.

I noticed in the latest issue as I was flipping threw it before bed last night that Scott had tire chains on a trailer? Why? Whats the benefit of tire chains on a trailer?

Second is tires! In Scotts situation I could understand using BFG ATs to match truck. But in "theory"(as in I haven't tried this out) wouldn't a good quality street tire or tire with less bite be better for trailers? Wouldnt it be easier to pull thru stuff and with the street treads be more apt to fall into your ruts while in mud or snow??

We are working on our trailer as we speak and I dont really want to mount 35 inch swampers on it, and dont really see the benefit.

For the street a "Trailer" tire would be better especially a multi axle trailer. There is a LOT of difference in a trailer tire then a automotive tire. The side wall construction on a trailer tire is to help fight sway. If you are going to use a Vehicle tire on a trailer the higher the rating the better because that often means stiffer sidewalls.

That said for a offroad trailer I'm all for matching the truck size and wheel pattern so in a pinch if you lost multiple tires you are dragging 2-3 spares. Might have to leave the trailer but sure beats having to drive out on a rim.

As for the chains. I suspect the goal is to keep the trailer from passing the truck on slick down hills. In some mountain passes the Semis are required to run chains on the trailer for that reason. It would apply here as well.

60seriesguy

Adventurer
To prevent the trailer from sliding sideways? I've noticed before that on slick, off-camber trails, my lightly-loaded trailer sometimes wants to slide sideways. I'm guessing that on icy, slick trails, chains might provide a bit of extra traction to prevent the trailer from sliding or jackniving on you.

Scott Brady

Founder
Colorado Ron said:
Couple of things.

I noticed in the latest issue as I was flipping threw it before bed last night that Scott had tire chains on a trailer? Why? Whats the benefit of tire chains on a trailer?.

The best arrangement is chains on all axles, including the trailer. Since the trailer has brakes, chains on that axle also help to slow the entire rig. It also helps control side stability.

During the trip, we never mounted the chains to the trailer, just at the ISE show in Phoenix, where that image was taken.

Colorado Ron said:
Second is tires! In Scotts situation I could understand using BFG ATs to match truck. But in "theory"(as in I havent tried this out) wouldnt a good quality street tire or tire with less bite be better for trailers? Wouldnt it be easier to pull thru stuff and with the street treads be more apt to fall into your ruts while in mud or snow??

We are working on our trailer as we speak and I dont really want to mount 35 inch swampers on it, and dont really see the benefit

The greatest benefit is that you have TWO extra spares. It is easy to drop the trailer and go get a tire repaired and return. If back in a technical trail, you want all the benefit of matching tire size. In addition, taller tires provide better ground clearance and a tire with some traction helps on side slops and again, while braking.

Hope that helps :)

Martyn

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
Grim Reaper said:
For the street a "Trailer" tire would be better especially a multi axle trailer. There is a LOT of difference in a trailer tire then a automotive tire. The side wall construction on a trailer tire is to help fight sway. If you are going to use a Vehicle tire on a trailer the higher the rating the better because that often means stiffer sidewalls.

Yes agreed.

We match tires so they are interchangeable with the tow vehicle, and can be rotated as a set. It also results in needing only one spare.

Many customers have used tires hanging around from when they last changed out the ones on their rig and we'll use the best two of the batch.

For new tires we use Light Truck "LT" rated tires as the side wall construction is stiffer, usually at least 6 ply, and they conform to DOT regulations for trailer tires.

Be aware that some less expensive brands, of LT rated tires have less stiff sidewalls that result in trailer sway. We have had very good results from BFG and Goodyear tires.

If you decide to fit a less aggressive tire to the trailer just make sure the tires are the same diameter as those on your rig, and that the rims you use have the correct backspacing. In a pinch you can still swap tires between the trailer and your tow vehicle.

IZZYDUSIT

Adventurer
On my converted 416 trailer, I kept the military look and function, and installed original new UD treaded tires-they will rut before they will wear out, they roll excelent on the blacktop and on trails, great ground clearance with the soa and great balance.
as to the spare concern, I installed an undercarriage spare tire carrier that i salvaged of a nissan pickup and that set up work so slick!

When my buddy is using the trailer using his pickup, we don't have to worry about spare compatibilty with the towing vehicle.
my .02 cent.

Martyn

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
IZZYDUSIT said:
On my converted 416 trailer, I kept the military look and function, and installed original new UD treaded tires-they will rut before they will wear out, they roll excelent on the blacktop and on trails, great ground clearance with the soa and great balance.
as to the spare concern, I installed an undercarriage spare tire carrier that i salvaged of a nissan pickup and that set up work so slick!

When my buddy is using the trailer using his pickup, we don't have to worry about spare compatibilty with the towing vehicle.
my .02 cent.

I have fond memories of a trailer set up the same way as yours. I got a flat tire on the trailer when we were crossing a mud flat and had to crawl/slither under the bogged down trailer to get the spare out to perform the tire change. A friend of mine had to so some scuba work when a similar thing happened in a swamp.

Trouble never seems to occur in convenient places.

Colorado Ron

Explorer
Ok, so lets go over my setup a little.

Suburban is running 35inch Swampers. It has two spares. One on the back and one on the roof.

The Trailer is a dual axle setup. We are measuring it up and can mount 35s with the axle swap we have planned.

So should I run Swampers? I think thats overkill, maybe Im wrong? Im sure it would just look mean going down the road, but might be more a expedition bling factor than real world benefit?

Do they make a 35inch Trailer Tire?

IZZYDUSIT

Adventurer
Hahahahah ....I know what you mean Martyn, I guess you'd be SOL
at both cases, having to replace tires in the middle of a swamp, mud bog or
anywhere else for that matter.
originally,I had my spare mounted on my tail gate, however, I thought that in the likleyhood of being cought in any adversed condition, having to change a tire with a spare mounted undercarriage, is just a bit more of a pita price to pay.
I just wanted to move the weight over to improve center of gravity and
use the vacated space on the tail gate to mount 20cal. emmo box used for misc items like straps, tire wedges etc..
I guess we all have our prioritys when making mods to fit our needs.

Scott Brady

Founder
Maybe consider taking the spare off the rack and running matching tires on the trailer. With your RTW plans, I would probably start with all the same tires, as 35x10.5 Swampers are not easy to find in Panama :)

That way you can swap more standard tires onto the trailer as required. A 315/75 could work in a pinch, as well as a 9.0R16, which will be more common in the developing world.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior