Trailer Wheel Advice

OldNomad

I have a 14x7 Homesteader Challenger enclosed trailer that I'm looking to turn into a low budget adventure camper. I'm not doing extremely technical trails but I like to get out there. i also have an extra set of 18" wheels off of my WK2. I'd like to use the wk2 wheels on the trailer so I can use them as spares as well if needed. What's my best route here?

-Spacer/lug conversion
-new hubs
-new axles/longer axles
-axleless hubs
-should I lift it or will the 32" tires be sufficient

Any advice from people that have done this would be appreciated before I get started.

4lowdean

Observer
The previous owner ordered a custom axle from Dexter that was 3500# (appropriate for the trailer) and spec'd it out to be the same width as a Jeep axle (60.5" WMS/WMS) along with 10" drum brakes and Jeep bolt pattern (5x4.5" for the older style Jeeps). Big advantage here was no spacers (I hate them actually; and they are illegal in my state). So my first suggestion is to buy-once-cry-one and spend the money on an entirely new axle before you go trying to molest the one you have. It's just easier that way.

As far as the lift, that all depends on your trailer and the fender design. I'll confess I'm not familiar with the Homesteader Challenger. If you need a little extra lift, it's not hard to go spring-over (which you can spec out when you order your axle) or get new springs with the proper load rating and arch you need. Lot of springs out there on the market, and even custom ones aren't that expensive.

I know I'm throwing a lot of "order it custom" suggestions, but again, I tend to be a buy-once-cry-once guy on certain things. Other things I'll cut corners on and do it myself. My axle and suspension is not one of them.

billiebob

I have a 14x7 Homesteader Challenger enclosed trailer that I'm looking to turn into a low budget adventure camper. I'm not doing extremely technical trails but I like to get out there. i also have an extra set of 18" wheels off of my WK2. I'd like to use the wk2 wheels on the trailer so I can use them as spares as well if needed. What's my best route here?

-Spacer/lug conversion
-new hubs
-new axles/longer axles
-axleless hubs
-should I lift it or will the 32" tires be sufficient

Any advice from people that have done this would be appreciated before I get started.
New axles built to fit. I just did this. An axle shop can build the perfect axle.
If you need more height do a spring over.
New axle was $207.00, now I just have to widen the fenders 1.5".
I added 4.75" to the track since the Jeep rims have more backspace the the original trailer rims.
I did it for the same reason, so 1 spare will work on the Jeep or the trailer.

DSCN2321.jpeg

Last edited:

OldNomad

The previous owner ordered a custom axle from Dexter that was 3500# (appropriate for the trailer) and spec'd it out to be the same width as a Jeep axle (60.5" WMS/WMS) along with 10" drum brakes and Jeep bolt pattern (5x4.5" for the older style Jeeps). Big advantage here was no spacers (I hate them actually; and they are illegal in my state). So my first suggestion is to buy-once-cry-one and spend the money on an entirely new axle before you go trying to molest the one you have. It's just easier that way.

As far as the lift, that all depends on your trailer and the fender design. I'll confess I'm not familiar with the Homesteader Challenger. If you need a little extra lift, it's not hard to go spring-over (which you can spec out when you order your axle) or get new springs with the proper load rating and arch you need. Lot of springs out there on the market, and even custom ones aren't that expensive.

I know I'm throwing a lot of "order it custom" suggestions, but again, I tend to be a buy-once-cry-once guy on certain things. Other things I'll cut corners on and do it myself. My axle and suspension is not one of them.
Thank you this was the input I was looking for.

OldNomad

New axles built to fit. I just did this. An axle shop can build the perfect axle.
If you need more height do a spring over.
New axle was $207.00, now I just have to widen the fenders 1.5".
I added 4.75" to the track since the Jeep rims have more backspace the the original trailer rims.
I did it for the same reason, so 1 spare will work on the Jeep or the trailer.

View attachment 577765
Wow that's perfect I was expecting a lot more.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94