"TrailTop" modular trailer topper building components

cjm

Adventurer
Im thinking of refurbishing my old tent trailer. Its a clamshell type, but your parts may work. Its like the old Apache ones, opens up to make two beds. Your parts may work for my purpose of rebuilding both beds. Ill send a pic in a few.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Im thinking of refurbishing my old tent trailer. Its a clamshell type, but your parts may work. Its like the old Apache ones, opens up to make two beds. Your parts may work for my purpose of rebuilding both beds. Ill send a pic in a few.

If you post a photo and describe what you have in mind, I can try to to a sketch for you showing how TrailTop parts could be used (assuming they can be used for your application :)).

jscherb

Expedition Leader
The AL is old, and the plywood is rotted. Great light camper, hate to just dump it.

So are you trying to reproduce the top panels as closely as possible, or are you planning to change the design at all?

ajmaudio

Adventurer
Theses parts need to make it to market at reasonable cost for those of us whoo dont have as much time. I need these!

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Thought bout using your components to make new clamshells. Does not need to be same at all.

Here's one idea... you could replace the clamshells with new ones based on TrailTop parts:

cjmTrailTop_zps3240e869.jpg

jscherb

Expedition Leader
View attachment 211911

Would the parts be strong enough on the hinge side?

Yes, not a problem. The TrailTop parts are designed to be structural parts.

One of the designs I plan for the parts is a hinged hard cover for a Jeep-tub trailer that's strong enough to support rack bars carrying loads, including a roof-top tent.

TrailTopCover2_zpsfb88ccc8.jpg

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Probably similar to the first one but without a flat rear. Built on a custom trailer, not a tub. See this link for the type of rear I am thinking perhaps. http://sawtoothent.com/?page_id=32 Havent had a chance to see how the rear could/would work with 60 and 30 degree pieces.

It's not exactly identical to the Sawtooth you linked to (inset left below), but here's something you could do with TrailTop 30, 60 and 90 degree parts. The side door is available on eBay, I grabbed the image from an auction for the door.

TrailTopSawtooth1_zps69c57e6e.jpg

cjm

Adventurer
What is thickest plywood you can use? Its 1/2 now, with age has become way to flimsy. Id love to use your parts to get her back on road. My kids have kids, and probably would end up with it for there family! I hope your parts are picked up, If not Id be up for some experimenting with first runs.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
What is thickest plywood you can use? Its 1/2 now, with age has become way to flimsy. Id love to use your parts to get her back on road. My kids have kids, and probably would end up with it for there family! I hope your parts are picked up, If not Id be up for some experimenting with first runs.

No matter how thick it is, a large expanse of unsupported plywood is likely to sag over time. I've made the TrailTop parts to accept 1/4" panels; for an application like a flat cover for a trailer like yours, or the one I showed for the Jeep-tub trailer, the way you'd assemble the top is with 1x2 cross-ribs of either pine or poplar to strengthen everything and prevent the plywood from sagging. Here's how everything would typically go together:

CrossRibs_zps77aee1bf.jpg

The cross-rib is bonded to the plywood and the TrailTop side rail; epoxy would be recommended for the wood-to-fiberglass bond, and could also be used for the wood-to-wood bond, although since wood glue is less expensive than epoxy, wood glue could be used for the wood-to-wood bond as shown in yellow above. Wood screws (or bolts if desired) would also be used to secure the plywood to the TrailTop parts and the plywood to the ribs. Weather sealant (could also be epoxy, or something like automotive seam sealer) would be used to seal the plywood to the TrailTop side rails.

A mix-as-it's-applied epoxy like West System Six10, which is designed to fit in a standard caulk gun and has a tip that mixes the epoxy as it's squeezed out, could be used for all joints and as the sealant and offers great strength in all bonds and easy application. (http://www.westsystem.com/ss/six10-thickened-epoxy-adhesive/)

WestSix10_zpsc7a4d3c9.jpg

That's probably more than you wanted in an answer to your "how thick" question, but I figured I might as well cover all of the details :).

cjm

Adventurer
I would prob have to put cross ribs on top, due to the clamshell opening up to be the actual bed. The size is aprox a full size bed ea side.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles