"TrailTop" modular trailer topper building components

jscherb

Expedition Leader
SafariAndM1101_zpsp8szqmul.jpg

jscherb

Expedition Leader
All of the panels are now painted, assembled and ready to install on the trailer.

TopperPartsDone2_zpshgqiikwp.jpg

TopperPartsDone1_zpshwa9qdzv.jpg

Last edited:

N0AGI

N0AGI
Jeff - you're awesome with your creativity and design. Really liking the "Safari" M1101 edition - definitely my "dream boat".

I am also hooked on this one below
jeff-3.JPG

I would be keen to learn about your plans for producing and putting to market these Jeff. I would be interested in buying from you.

keep up the great work and inspiring others.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
The only thing better than your skills is your vision!

Jeff - you're awesome with your creativity and design.

Aw shucks, thanks! :).

Stay tuned, I plan to assemble everything on the trailer tomorrow.

Really liking the "Safari" M1101 edition - definitely my "dream boat".

I am also hooked on this one below
View attachment 429746

I would be keen to learn about your plans for producing and putting to market these Jeff. I would be interested in buying from you.

keep up the great work and inspiring others.

I don't sell anything, I just design things that I think will be cool and useful and build prototypes. Mostly the prototypes are for my own use; occasionally I'll mold some parts for friends. Sometimes I license my designs to companies that will bring them to market and several companies/people have contacted me so far expressing interest in marketing the TrailTop system but nothing resulted from those conversations.

I've kept all the molds for the components, so if something ever does come up I can make more parts or license the system to a company for production.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Installed the camper/cargo top this morning. Everything fits as designed.

TopperInstalled1_zps6m4gnbls.jpg

TopperInstalled2_zpskfkkvda3.jpg

TopperInstalled3_zpsita6vair.jpg

TopperInstalled4_zps4is0xikw.jpg

More photos to come.

Next I have to install the hardware for the lid - hinges on the front, latch catches on the back, and hook up the gas struts.

Last edited:

screwball48

Explorer
Nicely done as always. This is a very nice and affordable alternative to purchasing and outfitting a standard utility trailer. I also see the potential of utilizing these components on an M1101 series trailer. One of the drawbacks to that generation of surplus trailer is the lack of a readily available “cover” for that platform.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

utherjorge

Observer
This is amazing. I would like it (I would hope for it? What's the best way to beg?:) ) to be something that would be available later this year when I have a chance, but I'll post and beg later, watching with awe until that time. Great work.

N0AGI

N0AGI
This is tactically very gratifying Jeff. Awesome work - goes w/o saying - Congratulations! It's nasty cold here in MN and my M1101 is parked in my backyard...can't wait till spring to get my "TAC/0" project rolling.
1.JPG

Best wishes in 2018 all...

-nagi

jscherb

Expedition Leader
This is amazing. I would like it (I would hope for it? What's the best way to beg?:) ) to be something that would be available later this year when I have a chance, but I'll post and beg later, watching with awe until that time. Great work.

Nicely done as always. This is a very nice and affordable alternative to purchasing and outfitting a standard utility trailer. I also see the potential of utilizing these components on an M1101 series trailer. One of the drawbacks to that generation of surplus trailer is the lack of a readily available “cover” for that platform.

Thank you very much.

I haven't added it up, but I think I've got less than $400 in the sides and the lid, including the windows, hatches and hardware.

This is tactically very gratifying Jeff. Awesome work - goes w/o saying - Congratulations! It's nasty cold here in MN and my M1101 is parked in my backyard...can't wait till spring to get my "TAC/0" project rolling.

Best wishes in 2018 all...

-nagi

Thanks!

Very cold here too! I need to connect up the gas struts for the lid but since they're very strong and hard to compress manually it's easiest to tilt the lid up and then connect them. This is as far as I can raise the lid in my low garage, not high enough for the struts at full extension. Unfortunately it's about zero degrees outside so I don't think I'll roll the trailer out to connect them today.

LidHinged_zpslhvv9tjv.jpg

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Since the Trail Kitchen is taller than the Jeep tailgate, I added a door on the front to raise the height of the tailgate opening. It's on lift-off hinges so it can be moved out of the way. Plenty of room now to install the trail kitchen:

KitchenDoorOff2_zpsccysm0fr.jpg

This is the photo-edit I did earlier in the project showing what the Trail Kitchen and front pantry will look like:

KitchenSim_zpsxyvj3dsc.jpg

jscherb

Expedition Leader
I'm hoping it gets at least 15 degrees warmer this afternoon so I can roll the trailer out of the garage, tilt the lid all the way up and snap the canvas in place. Since I won't be camping in this thing until the summer at least, there's no point in punishing myself by working outside when it's 11 degrees.

In the meantime, I installed mini-blinds on the side windows. When I'm using the trailer for cargo, it'll help keep curious people from seeing what's inside. When in use as a camper, it'll provide some privacy for the occupants.

MiniBlinds1_zpsbms0i9ix.jpg

To keep the blinds under control, I make some holders for the bottom rail with snaps.

MiniBlinds5_zpsqf3xhq7h.jpg

Blind down and snapped in place:

MiniBlinds2_zpsswsp2vuz.jpg

MiniBlinds3_zps6c2fca7g.jpg

Unsnapped and open:

MiniBlinds4_zpsnwhzqgld.jpg

The blinds were the correct width but over five feet long so I had to shorten them over 3 feet to make them the right length. Haven't shortened the adjusting "wand" yet (that's what it's called in the instructions), but probably will shorten that to 6" or so.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Today is the first day it's really been above 20 degrees so it's finally warm enough to roll the trailer out of the garage to hook up the gas struts and snap the canvas in place.

Since I installed all the hardware a week ago, connecting the struts took about 30 seconds, and the canvas just snaps into place on the lid so installation didn't take long. This shot shows the headroom that's available when the top is up, I'm 6'6"...

Headroom_zpsbkhrawqm.jpg

Canvas in place (I haven't had this canvas up in a long time so it's a little wrinkled):

TiltUp1_zpssjsplikt.jpg

TiltUp2_zps8rjkiejo.jpg

RearDoor_zps3vha1ish.jpg

CamperEntry_zpsxrcviswv.jpg

BTW it's hooked to the Jeep because the trailer doesn't have stabilizer jacks yet. Haven't needed them so far because I've never used this trailer as a camper. On Wednesday I'll be in Elkhart, Indiana, where there are some very good RV surplus shops, so I'll get some jacks while I'm there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles