Transit AWD vs Express AWD vs Transit Quigley: which one for me?

vintageracer

To Infinity and Beyond!
The way I interpret this discussion it's really about does the OP want a full size van in which they can stand up.

Both the new AWD Ford Transit and a Quigley 4WD converted Ford Transit offer a tall full size roof van in which you can stand up. The AWD Chevrolet Express does not and never did offer a tall roof mode!

You want to stand up in an AWD Chevrolet Express van you are going to have to install a Fiberine or other brand 24+ inch raised roof. That's typically a $4K+ expense you are spending on a used older van. After you do that then you can start the comparisons between the 3 vans.

Until then this discussion boils down to do you want a new AWD tall roof Ford Transit or a new/used Quigley 4WD tall roof Ford Transit?

Either way your gonna spend some extra Moolah over that AWD Chevrolet Express van the OP currently owns.

No Quigley will not convert to 4WD your used Ford Transit van at this time according to their factory representative.

AbleGuy

Officious Intermeddler

FurthurOnTheFly

Glamping Society
I just got an email from Dave at Quigley and he said they just changed their policy and will be accepting used transits with less than 60k miles for conversion in January 2020. Cost is just above $13k and lead time is 8 weeks.

Wiley

Adventurer
but I'm not sure I'd really make use of the 4wd very often. The AWD on my Express has been handy a number of times, like driving on road in snow, but we are rarely in a situation where 4WD is truly necessary.

I drove my AWD Astro to Colombia S. America, never "needed" 4x4, and most people headed to Argentina agreed it wasn't a "need". For what you list as you normal usage, I wouldn't even factor in AWD vs 4x4. It's a cheap, straight Transfer Case swap to go to 4x4 in the Astro, but I haven't done it as I like you, also like having the AWD and don't want to lose it for the handful of times 4x4 might be handy.

My current van is a 2009 Chevy Express AWD. It's served me well so far, but it hasn't been my favorite vehicle and our needs are changing.

Can you expand on what you do not like, an Express is towards the top of my list for future vans.

luthj

Engineer In Residence
Quigley now has to compete with a much cheaper factory offering, so accepting lightly used vans will keep there volume up.

kudzu

Can you expand on what you do not like, an Express is towards the top of my list for future vans.
Yes please, x2
Sure. This is a quote from my earlier post.
Will tell you why I don't love it, but despite everything I am about to write, I do actually like my Express. It has served us well. There are just enough frustrations that I don't feel very attached to it. The paint sucks. Stupid Chevy has had the problem for decades and either they don't care or are too stupid to solve the issue. (Yes, I'm bitter. lol ) Rear seats aren't comfortable for passengers. Tons of plastic parts are breaking. Air bag lights are on. Interior lights sometimes work & sometimes don't. One side door needs to be slammed to get it closed all the way. Fan for rear AC has to be on high for fan to work. It's just a long, ongoing list of these sorts of things that need repair or replacement.
And will also add that I went out to the van last night to find the rear view mirror had fallen off the windshield. The glue had given out. It's a 10 year old van parked outside all the time so things like this happen. It only needs a bit of glue, so not a big deal. It's just that it adds something else to the list. It's a very long list.

dleeallen

Adventurer
@kudzu , your van sounds like it's a little old and rough. I can see why you might not be thrilled with it at this point. I'm sure with a bunch of work to chip away at that list of issues it could be back up to speed. But it's always going to be an old van that is built with even older tech. Can't hide that about them. Even my 2014 feels older than it is. It's fine, but it's no Transit. You could get your van really nice for way less money than a Transit purchase, but it's still on an old platform. Wind noise, power, etc.. aren't going to match the Transit. As AWD Transits get older they are definitely on my list to replace my AWD Express. I don't need or want a solid axle 4x4 van at this point. I don't ever need low range either - maybe once in a blue moon. AWD sure is nice since it's always there, and no extra levers in the way. If I had the option I would go factory fresh AWD Transit after they are a year into production - let them work the kinks out and find the weak spots. Quigley is nice, but why bother if there is a factory option that works for your needs? Make owning it simple for yourself. Factory AWD keeps repairs and maintenance easy - no explaining about Quigley to the parts guy.

Wiley

Adventurer

And will also add that I went out to the van last night to find the rear view mirror had fallen off the windshield. The glue had given out. It's a 10 year old van parked outside all the time so things like this happen. It only needs a bit of glue, so not a big deal. It's just that it adds something else to the list. It's a very long list.

Ok yes I completely understand, sounds just like my Chevy astro.

dleeallen

Adventurer

My mirror did that this summer. Quite a surprise to find it hanging by the wires!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior