Transmission bell-housing interchangability question

plh

Explorer
I'm looking at a '92 montero V6 3.0l with a AW372 that needs a new transmission. I have a source for a free/working AW4 w/ T-case from a 1997 Cherokee. Does the bellhousing between the AW372 and the AW4 bolt on swap?

Sabre

Overlanding Nurse
The Google says that the Aisin Warner AW4/30-40LE/A340 series and the AW372L/03-72L/A44DL series transmissions have completely different bell and t-case adapter bolt patterns, so the housings are NOT interchangable.

plh

Explorer
Thanks. Was the 30-40LE used behind any of the 3.0l Mitsubishis? Iirc it was behind the 3.5l but that won't fit the 3.0l

Toasty

Looking for that thing i just had in my hand...
A couple things, the '92 won't control that Jeep AW4. The transmission in the '92 is still a hydraulic control transmission so think Gen 1 stuff, the other thing is the bell housing bore is different. You could however run a 3.5 bell housing on the AW4 with a modified engine plate (clearanced for the starter location) and an aftermarket shift controller. It may require more work than that like a body lift or a certain amount of magic, If you want easy and inexpensive i would look for any '93 or earlier Montero Aisin automatic. if you are up for a minor challenge you can go with the AW4 but don't expect that free AW4 to be a cheap swap.

Eaglefreek

Eagleless
I have no idea about fitment into the Mitsu, but it's not that difficult to make the AW4 work with a factory Jeep TCU and part of the wiring harness. I did this to my Eagle I recently sold and it worked like it was installed from the factory. It just needs power, ground, input from the brake to release the torque converter and a TPS input. I added a Jeep TPS to my carb linkage. Also, there is a TV(throttle valve) cable that needs to connected to the throttle linkage and the appropriate shifter needs to be installed.

plh

Explorer
Appears that some Montero Sports ('97 - '98 perhaps) used the AW4 behind the 3.0l but there might be difference between the 3.0L pre-'96 and post-'96 that may require a different bell housing? Anybody can confirm this?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles